• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Develop your own viewpoints on books and actually read them.

This says it all.

This specific thread is about value speculation. I think we can say that many books don't fall into the "I've read that" category. There are plenty of threads praising comics and stories that people like, gasp... just for the story.

This says it all.

This specific thread is about value speculation. I think we can say that many books don't fall into the "I've read that" category. There are plenty of threads praising comics and stories that people like, gasp... just for the story.

:facepalm:

If you can spot quality, you may easily be able to pick up books cheaply while the fan base develops. Reading the books is an important part to any speculative approach.

This is reason many people smart people were buying Saga #1 when it was $20 raw or $100 in CGC 9.8.

This says it all.

If you can spot quality, you may easily be able to pick up books cheaply while the fan base develops. Reading the books is an important part to any speculative approach.

This is reason many people smart people were buying Saga #1 when it was $20 raw or $100 in CGC 9.8.

I agree, there are exceptions, but I've done pretty well focusing on quality books. Consistent, quality storytelling usually generates a collector base that helps maintain value. I miss all the quick flips, but I don't like selling on eBay anyway (shrug)

This says it all.

Yep.

This says it all.

Yep.

Don't mind me. :whistle:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/16/valiant-best-reviewed-publisher-american-comic-stores/

This says it all.

Yep.

Don't mind me. :whistle:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/16/valiant-best-reviewed-publisher-american-comic-stores/

lol

This says it all.

I wish this was true, but in real life reading (as well as artistic, lets not forget) tastes differ. Theres no one book that appeals to all. Some like the camp stuff (which is 90% of your golden-silver age stuff) and some like the darker and more thought provoking stuff (which is some bronze and heavily influenced within copper-current reading material)

On the art side of things that is very much the same. Take for example, Arthur Adams. Art was probably the reason why we have Liefeld, Mcfarlane and many other successful artists in our industry, and his art is superior to theirs when it comes to quality and style, plus he's a pioneer. His books never appreciated in value significantly UNLESS they were manufactured collectible variants (which both you and me hate).

The reason why a comic book elevates its status from reading material to collectability is demand. And nowadys, sadly, that is mostly generated from hype.

Really you have to consider now that there are several speculator sites that jump on new publishers with low print run books. They pump then they try to sell their copies. All of them are members here now so be aware of who is saying what it helps.

Keep in mind the variant chase costs a decent amount. You wont ever hear someone come in here and say man I lost my on that book.

Look for books that are unique. They wont all be hits, but some will. Monstress seems to be good bet lately. A well produced book that while had a decent print run wasn't ordered by a lot of shops. Not produced well so high grade will be tough and you get a lot of pages for your dollar.

I bought 2 copies at my LCS because I liked the book. I wish I would have ordered several more, but you win and you lose.

Develop your own viewpoints on books and actually read them. Some of the goofballs in here are only trying to further there own agenda. In a year or two they will disappear if you listen to them you might too.

When I was new here it didn't take me long to figure out who was worth listening to and who wasn't

Really you have to consider now that there are several speculator sites that jump on new publishers with low print run books. They pump then they try to sell their copies. All of them are members here now so be aware of who is saying what it helps.

Keep in mind the variant chase costs a decent amount. You wont ever hear someone come in here and say man I lost my on that book.

Look for books that are unique. They wont all be hits, but some will. Monstress seems to be good bet lately. A well produced book that while had a decent print run wasn't ordered by a lot of shops. Not produced well so high grade will be tough and you get a lot of pages for your dollar.

I bought 2 copies at my LCS because I liked the book. I wish I would have ordered several more, but you win and you lose.

Develop your own viewpoints on books and actually read them. Some of the goofballs in here are only trying to further there own agenda. In a year or two they will disappear if you listen to them you might too.

Very well said, Make your own judgment calls on what your buying. But also don't be afraid to bring things to the forums that you think others may find interesting. Don't let the nay-sayers scare you off

This says it all.

Yes, and the same with We Can Never Go Home. How about Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, etc...

I guess I was thinking of this thread as more of a, "this is going to heat up in a week" type of speculation. As I said, there are plenty of great stories, but that doesn't mean they will hold value. Saga gained value because after a while it became more widely known that it was a great story AND supply outweighed demand. It doesn't hurt that the art is great as well, at least IMO, and she wasn't know nearly as well as she is now.

So what I'm saying, is that it's easy to cherry pick Saga as a value increase due to only story, but what about something like We Stand on Guard, or Paper Girls, can't miss, right? but people say it coming and were hoping for another Saga.

I still think the 2014 Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight series's were both classics for their own reasons. Not sure they will increase much at this point though.

Paper Girls 3 had the 3rd highest sales of an Image comic in December, behind TWD & Saga.....I think something will eventually happen with that title but too many people are blowing it out at cover or below.

I like how they're trying to get fans involved by having them send in letters, recipes, etc. The membership card they offered was very unique.

Edited by krighton

I think LOW is a good Image title and the art is amazing. Still won't see SAGA numbers, so I'll put it in the pile with WSoG and Paper Girls...

I completely forgot about that comic. I read the first issue and liked it and didn't pick another one up.

I also like East of West. There are a lot of #1's out there for an Image title and I don't think it's as easy of a read and comprehension as Saga. Deadly Class I liked and could easily see that coming to TV or a movie.

This says it all.

I wish this was true, but in real life reading (as well as artistic, lets not forget) tastes differ. Theres no one book that appeals to all. Some like the camp stuff (which is 90% of your golden-silver age stuff) and some like the darker and more thought provoking stuff (which is some bronze and heavily influenced within copper-current reading material)

On the art side of things that is very much the same. Take for example, Arthur Adams. Art was probably the reason why we have Liefeld, Mcfarlane and many other successful artists in our industry, and his art is superior to theirs when it comes to quality and style, plus he's a pioneer. His books never appreciated in value significantly UNLESS they were manufactured collectible variants (which both you and me hate).

The reason why a comic book elevates its status from reading material to collectability is demand. And nowadys, sadly, that is mostly generated from hype.

While I would not definitely reduce things to a mere matter of "taste", I see Aweandlorder point as being reasonable, but I can just use it in reverse: speculating on things just trying to guess what will become "hot" merely increases momentary demand and gives a false perception of inherent value.

The bottom line, for me, is that this kind speculation is never good.

This says it all.

Yes, and the same with We Can Never Go Home. How about Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, etc...

I guess I was thinking of this thread as more of a, "this is going to heat up in a week" type of speculation. As I said, there are plenty of great stories, but that doesn't mean they will hold value. Saga gained value because after a while it became more widely known that it was a great story AND supply outweighed demand. It doesn't hurt that the art is great as well, at least IMO, and she wasn't know nearly as well as she is now.

So what I'm saying, is that it's easy to cherry pick Saga as a value increase due to only story, but what about something like We Stand on Guard, or Paper Girls, can't miss, right? but people say it coming and were hoping for another Saga.

I still think the 2014 Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight series's were both classics for their own reasons. Not sure they will increase much at this point though.

I miss Blackacre.