• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One really interesting moment in Sunday's episode was when Bernard sat down to have his black brain ball removed, Elsie told him it would hurt, and he replied "Eh, it's all just a program anyway."  As if it were Arnold talking in some disconnected way about the host body he was in while still mentally identifying himself as a human who is separate from that body.  Really bizarre way to put it since presumably the pain is similarly if not exactly as intense as if it were to have happened to a human body.

That's a really good point.

hm

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Nolan might be trying us to go so crazy in figuring out who's a human, who's a host, and who's on who's side that we just start thinking of humans and hosts as different sides of the same coin.  :insane:

One really interesting moment in Sunday's episode was when Bernard sat down to have his black brain ball removed, Elsie told him it would hurt, and he replied "Eh, it's all just a program anyway."  As if it were Arnold talking in some disconnected way about the host body he was in while still mentally identifying himself as a human who is separate from that body.  Really bizarre way to put it since presumably the pain is similarly if not exactly as intense as if it were to have happened to a human body.

I took it as him saying, for him, pain is just a program.  Like  he knew it wasnt really real, but a part of the "game", if you will.  If that makes sense.  

14 hours ago, sd2416 said:
23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Nolan might be trying us to go so crazy in figuring out who's a human, who's a host, and who's on who's side that we just start thinking of humans and hosts as different sides of the same coin.  :insane:

I took it as him saying, for him, pain is just a program.  Like  he knew it wasnt really real, but a part of the "game", if you will.  If that makes sense.  

Functionally that's all it is for you or I, too.  Feedback to the brain to let you know something's happening that you probably shouldn't let happen.  But it really sucks, doesn't it?  Or maybe you're tougher than me.  Next time you go into surgery use that line--"no anesthesia for me, it's all just a bio-evolutionary program to protect me from harm, but I trust you, so I'll just ignore it."  (worship)

Bernard never sounded more like Arnold than in that moment.  Since Arnold died a while back, ~35 years ago from the start of the series if memory serves, I'm still thinking of him as some early attempt at copying human consciousness in a host body that still isn't working right.  But since we now know all of the AI and human consciousnesses are stored in "The Cradle" shown below to be a glowy-red server room in Sunday's episode so they could presumably download his consciousness into a new host at any time, is he really the state of the art?  Is he an older attempt they haven't upgraded to the latest process?  Or is there better tech and his consciousness was never recorded with enough fidelity to ever work right?  hm

Westworld-BTS-episode-206-Bernard-and-El

Edited by fantastic_four

Westworld season 2 so far more confusing due to time shifts (a la 'Lost') than season 1. Do we assume Anthony Hopkins's character is always a human in the time stream or did they interject a Ford-bot since season 1 finale (episode 10) had the main architect of Westworld shot in the head while on stage in front of humans by Delores :shy:? At least they clarified origin of the Man in Black.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

2 hours ago, Rodey said:

I wonder what the difference is between the red and black orbs.

I think the red balls are a reverse-engineered human consciousness, and the black ones are an artificial intelligence not based upon a living (or formerly living) human.  The red one Bernard found a few episodes ago and was carrying around was probably Ford.

What was the color of the one that got lifted out of Bernard's head this episode?  I think it was darkish red, but I wasn't sure and can't rule out that it was black.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I think the red balls are a reverse-engineered human consciousness, and the black ones are an artificial intelligence not based upon a living (or formerly living) human.  The red one Bernard found a few episodes ago and was carrying around was probably Ford.

What was the color of the one that got lifted out of Bernard's head this episode?  I think it was darkish red, but I wasn't sure and can't rule out that it was black.

I think you're right, it have been the lighting that made the red ball look darker.

It's been confirmed that Bernard was carrying the ball for Ford. If you play around on the delosdestinations.com site, Ford has taken over the chatbot and admits it was his.

Ford said that "Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin never died, they simply became their music" at that event in the last episode of season one shortly before Dolores killed him.  So in this episode we finally see Ford as a part of his own music.

Maybe we'll see Ford eventually enter a host body too.  We still don't know whether or not Ford ever solved the problem that was demonstrated a few episodes back when they showed Delos repeatedly failing in a host body.  One hypothesis is that the Bernard who wakes up on the beach in the first episode of this season is a fully-realized Arnold and not the Bernard recreation of last season.  Maybe that's why Ford allowed himself to be killed, because he had his immortality tech fully worked out and his consciousness saved into the Cradle.  But why he wouldn't just live out his life naturally is the remaining question.  Maybe he really did know or believe that the consciousness-copying technique was exact and living in a host body was better than living in his aging human body, or maybe he just likes the idea of living in the Cradle without any body at all.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Maybe that's why Ford allowed himself to be killed, because he had his immortality tech fully worked out and his consciousness saved into the Cradle. Maybe he really did know or believe that the consciousness-copying technique was exact and living in a host body was better than living in his aging human body, or maybe he just likes the idea of living in the Cradle without any body at all.

I wonder if Cradle is supposed to be spelt Cray-DL like a deluxe Cray supercomputer based in USA that borrowed Ford's consciousness to become self-aware and is sending out code to refute the humans/ soldiers trying to regain control of the Delos Project :popcorn:?

Best episode of the season hands-down.

The show is so much more enjoyable when they dispense with the confusing chronological jumps. That technique works when the scenes are disconnected by time and/or space, but not when you jump around with the exact same characters in the exact same setting. :screwy:

Edited by october

18 minutes ago, october said:

The show is so much more enjoyable when they dispense with the confusing chronological jumps. That technique works when the scenes are disconnected by time and/or space, but not when you jump around with the exact same characters in the exact same setting. :screwy:

I've missed so many time jumps now that I barely remember what the "current" timeline even is.  I assume it's the time immediately following the last episode of season 1 where everyone got whacked and pretty much any scenes we see with Dolores, William, and Maeve, but every time I see Bernard I'm confused about whether it's the main time or a few weeks later where he wakes up on the beach.

If anyone finds a good visual timeline, please share it because I don't enjoy keeping track of it.  Never seen an author do what Nolan and his wife are doing with time so I'm just not used to it.  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If anyone finds a good visual timeline, please share it because I don't enjoy keeping track of it.  Never seen an author do what Nolan and his wife are doing with time so I'm just not used to it.  (shrug)

Found one.  It's illegible at the size the forum makes it but huge when you click on it, so if this is spoilery to your attempt to keep track of time in your head just don't click on it.

5b16c7d81ae66249008b4bd0-960-8210.png