• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not ruling out the possibility of Hopkins showing up at the end of the season and revealing an android copy was shot at the end of season 1.  Can't trust anyone to actually be human in this show!

I'm hoping he's dead, though.  It's probably a better story if he is.

True, I just liked the actor/character.

16 hours ago, the_Thing ® said:

Today is THE DAY!!!! Westworld is back!!!!!!!! :cloud9:

And it was fantastic from the few glimpses I saw. Was really intrigued by the mother and child in the opening sequence! Also loved seeing "Floki" talking to Bernard.

I was pleasantly surprised by Floki's presence as well.  I'm equally surprised based upon the last scene we saw with him that IMDB indicates this is the only episode he's in.  :cry:

Well I guess they tied a bow on whether or not Anthony Hopkins was a host or not by showing his rotting carcass covered with maggots.  :sick:

So what, Maeve is just choosing to disbelieve or ignore Lee's assertion that her daughter was never a real host and just a part of her programming?  Where's that supposed to lead?  Just seems pathetic.

What the heck was up with Bernard all episode?  Why's he breaking down, and why did he kill all those hosts?

Solid episode but not a particularly compelling one.  This entire operation by Dolores still seems like a suicide mission, but I'm guessing we're leading to a point where that will change.  Part of that is determined by the fact that the company appears to be keeping all of this entirely quiet and handling the situation entirely by themselves, but that seems implausibly risky based upon the number of humans who are dying left and right.

Edited by fantastic_four

The poster for this season featuring a synthetic buzzard ties into a question that occurred to me during this first episode--what exactly are the hosts' bodies made of?  Is it biodegradable material that insects and other scavengers can eat?  Every time we saw a body I wondered if the signs of decomposition definitely indicated that it was a human; that's particularly true of Anthony Hopkins shown with maggots all over his face.  But if the hosts' bodies are biodegradable, then perhaps that isn't a safe assumption.

westworlds2chaos-600x891.jpg

3 minutes ago, the_Thing ® said:

Anyone catch the fact they said the park is an island?

I wasn't clear on that, but I thought that was Shogun World only, and that in season one they established that Westworld is somewhere on the American mainland.  But you might be right.  I felt like I needed to rewind it to clarify, but I didn't do it.  They're doing the always-confusing fractured timeline thing again, and I'm still not sure if the Bernard we saw with Floki is earlier or later than the Bernard we saw with Tessa Thompson, and I'm not sure where in the world they were relative to each other.

Edited by fantastic_four

Westworld's story is very much the same maze they showed repeatedly during season one and they showed again in that first episode of season two, except that we can't see it from above like you normally can with a maze and we have to keep following the path we think might be best.  And we'll hit the dead ends Nolan has constructed with the fractured plot.  Most viewers find a complex plot structure like that very frustrating as they did when it was similarly used in the Matrix films, the Lost television show, and the movie Prometheus.

I've been assuming based upon the flashbacks from season one between Arnold and Dolores that the maze is symbolic of the set of experiences that Arnold thought the hosts would have to go through to attain the sentience that Dolores has apparently achieved.  I still don't fully get the validity of such an idea within the context of real artificial intelligence, but it's interesting.

maze_westworld.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

The Westworld wiki's entry on the first episode claims the scenes with Bernard and Floki that started on the beach take place on the Chinese mainland and that at some point a Chinese official tells them by radio to leave or they will start an international incident.  I missed all of that and am not even sure how you could tell it was China from that.

http://westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_Into_Night_(episode)

I was underwhelmed by the premiere.

I feel like their continued non-linear storytelling worked in season 1 as a great twist at the end.  Last night, I felt like i wished they had just kept to 1 time line, and told the story chronologically.  But I do want to see the man in black's back story, and it looks like we'll be getting a lot of that.

I assumed they're on an island, and multiple parks are on that island.  Why else would they be setting up camp at the beach head, vs just landing at an airport and then taking the land route to the park.

There was a lot of setup, and not much movement on the story.

6 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

But I do want to see the man in black's back story, and it looks like we'll be getting a lot of that.

Which parts interest you?  They spent hours in season one giving his back story, although they didn't reveal it was his back story we were getting until the end of the season.

TrompeWilliamDoloresKiss-768x436.jpg

westworld-bicameral-mind-william-dolores

I want to see how he rose to power in the corporation, what he did once he came back from his 1st trip.

how he transitioned from the William we see in the flashbacks to the obsessive person we see dressed all in black.

Spoiler

If you saw the previews for the season at the end of the episode, they showed him with Dolores back in the "real world" in his apartment (I'd assume).  There's a lot of story to be told with him.

But Multiple time line Bernard, of 2 weeks (I think that's what they said) of missing time as he does his buddy romp around the island with Tessa Thompson....  That I'd rather see as an ongoing timeline vs jumping around.  But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and i'll enjoy it by the end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I want to see how he rose to power in the corporation, what he did once he came back from his 1st trip.

how he transitioned from the William we see in the flashbacks to the obsessive person we see dressed all in black.

We definitely don't know how he gained power in the company, but I felt satisfied after the first season as to how he became the man in black.  Started the season acting highly moral in the game in contrast to his friend, falls in love with Dolores, has that love spoiled by the end and becomes disillusioned, decides he enjoyed the ride but loses his morality towards the hosts after his love for Dolores dies, keeps playing the game but is ruthless in chasing its objectives.

I assume his love for the game motivated him to gain some ownership of it.  How he did that interests me less than the fact that he did it.

Edited by fantastic_four

I'm reading around the web that Teddy, i.e. James Marsden who is Dolores's main squeeze, is one of the bodies floating at the end.  I knew he must be some main character, but I couldn't make out who it was due to the extreme closeup on the face underwater.  Looking at a still frame of it below suggests it is him.

Westworld-Season-2-Teddy-Dead.jpg

I sure don’t care for all the time jumps this season, but it’s been interesting so far. Some things I found interesting about this episode...It looks like Ford certainly had William in mind for his final narrative and it’s good to see that William has his sidekick back. What’s his name? My mind went blank. I’m trying to figure out what this “weapon” might be and does anyone have an idea what William and Delores were looking at in the park at the end when William said ‘can you believe this splendor’ or something to that effect? It looked like some type of wreckage. 1 last question. Any idea what caused Bernard’s  critical failure?

2 hours ago, the_Thing ® said:

I sure don’t care for all the time jumps this season, but it’s been interesting so far. Some things I found interesting about this episode...It looks like Ford certainly had William in mind for his final narrative and it’s good to see that William has his sidekick back. What’s his name? My mind went blank. I’m trying to figure out what this “weapon” might be and does anyone have an idea what William and Delores were looking at in the park at the end when William said ‘can you believe this splendor’ or something to that effect? It looked like some type of wreckage. 1 last question. Any idea what caused Bernard’s  critical failure?

One thing was clear last night.

William's character changed so much, he started picking up on the dark potential for the park in recording people's actions and conversations while visiting. To the point you could blackmail them into certain actions or revealing even more secrets. And that's short of actually replacing key government leaders like what happened in the original movie.

I'm wondering if that site William and Dolores watched in the end was going to be a holding center for these videos and fluids being collected up. But it could also be the build lab in its early stages so they could mass-produce hosts. Dolores then would be heading there to convert over as many hosts as possible.

3 hours ago, the_Thing ® said:

Well, they did say they were collecting people's DNA, so why couldn't they be replacing people?

if you can get enough of someone's interactions on tape, I bet you could replace them with a high percent accuracy.  There's already an app that needs like 10 hours of your voice and speaking and can re-create you saying just about anything.  Hundreds of hours of someone interacting with andriods?  it might not be that hard to replicate their personality.

9 hours ago, the_Thing ® said:

Any idea what caused Bernard’s  critical failure?

When he shot himself in the head last season. The technician that repaired him afterwards said “The bullet grazed his cortical shield. It’s not pretty, but, he should be functional.”