• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

There is multiple Westworld movies?

Westworld (1973)

Futureworld (1976)

Then there was a short TV show run (Beyond Westworld - 1980). I do not remember seeing this.

Edited by Bosco685

Thanks all - especially Harris being William - I wasn't certain (might have popped to the loo in that bit!).

What a shame we have to wait until 2018!

Lastly though - what was the significance of Tatooed woman in the after credits scene?

I watched it, and didn't grasp anything new - just a higher 'wish' to escape - but surely this was the programme being 'run' by the Maeve narrative at work - or did we not see the full scene here in Australia - it ran for about 8 seconds here.

This series is fascinating...and yet I'm not sure it isn't much ado about nothing...

Given that ideas about how humans should treat sentient artificial intelligence are largely uninformed and crude, the show's central theme isn't nothing. I view artificial sentience about like I view genetic engineering--you shouldn't monkey with it without being EXTREMELY careful. Like about as extraordinarily careful as rocket scientists have to be in landing drones on Mars. It's immoral to create sentience and then coldly turn it off like it's a toaster or a light switch.

This series is fascinating...and yet I'm not sure it isn't much ado about nothing...

Given that ideas about how humans should treat sentient artificial intelligence are largely uninformed and crude, the show's central theme isn't nothing. I view artificial sentience about like I view genetic engineering--you shouldn't monkey with it without being EXTREMELY careful. Like about as extraordinarily careful as rocket scientists have to be in landing drones on Mars. It's immoral to create sentience and then coldly turn it off like it's a toaster or a light switch.

Agreed, humanity's interaction with artificial intelligence is compelling, but this series goes about that central theme in a way too roundabout manner. In fact, I'm not sure that is the central theme in the producer's minds.

Lastly though - what was the significance of Tattooed woman in the after credits scene?

I watched it, and didn't grasp anything new - just a higher 'wish' to escape - but surely this was the programme being 'run' by the Maeve narrative at work - or did we not see the full scene here in Australia - it ran for about 8 seconds here.

Can anyone in the states answer this - was there more than 8 seconds on your after credits scene?

Ours ended with the arm-cutting and faded to black.

It is possible you guys saw more as Foxtel (our cable) is very strict about 'over-runs'

Anyone?

Thanks!

Lastly though - what was the significance of Tattooed woman in the after credits scene?

Can anyone in the states answer this - was there more than 8 seconds on your after credits scene?

Ours ended with the arm-cutting and faded to black.

It is possible you guys saw more as Foxtel (our cable) is very strict about 'over-runs'

Anyone?

Thanks!

No, that was about it. It ended with her cutting her arm off, smiling and marching towards the security. The security police shouting "power down!" repeatedly. That was it.

Interesting short video how the original movie laid the groundwork.

First movie to use CGI.

I also think a special kudos should go to the author Michael Crichton. This guy is a deep thinker. He created both the original WestWorld and original Jurassic Park.

That`s a pretty impressive resume.

Agreed, humanity's interaction with artificial intelligence is compelling, but this series goes about that central theme in a way too roundabout manner. In fact, I'm not sure that is the central theme in the producer's minds.

What I'm not sure of is whether any theme was MORE central to Jonathan Nolan's intent with the show than the morality issues surrounding robotic sentience. It was interlaced throughout the story, from Arnold's reason for suicide, to Maeve's entire narrative, to the way the Westworld guests were shown as brutal and uncaring as compared to the androids, to the clinical and uncaring way that they showed the Westworld technicians always dealt with the androids aside from the Asian guy who helped Maeve escape (who I'm guessing was an android himself). The complexity of issues surrounding artificial sentience and mankind's underdeveloped understanding of the breadth of its value IS the show.

What was particularly well-done by Nolan was the way that he almost always made you root for the androids, not the humans, to force the audience to question their perception of androids as deserving of respect. Who were the heroes? Dolores, Bernard/Arnold, Teddy, and to a lesser extent, Maeve and her two murderous cohorts. Who were the villains? The humans--virtually all of them aside from Arnold who apparently sacrificed himself for them, although by the story's design we're unsure of what to think about Anthony Hopkins's Ford character. Even the one human character we're meant to like, William, is eventually shown to have grown cold and uncaring about the robotic sentience he was once entranced by in the form of Dolores.

What I'm not sure of is whether any theme was MORE central to Jonathan Nolan's intent with the show than the morality issues surrounding robotic sentience. It was interlaced throughout the story, from Arnold's reason for suicide, to Maeve's entire narrative, to the way the Westworld guests were shown as brutal and uncaring as compared to the androids, to the clinical and uncaring way that they showed the Westworld technicians always dealt with the androids aside from the Asian guy who helped Maeve escape (who I'm guessing was an android himself). The complexity of issues surrounding artificial sentience and mankind's underdeveloped understanding of the breadth of its value IS the show.

What was particularly well-done by Nolan was the way that he almost always made you root for the androids, not the humans, to force the audience to question their perception of androids as deserving of respect. Who were the heroes? Dolores, Bernard/Arnold, Teddy, and to a lesser extent, Maeve and her two murderous cohorts. Who were the villains? The humans--virtually all of them aside from Arnold who apparently sacrificed himself for them, although by the story's design we're unsure of what to think about Anthony Hopkins's Ford character. Even the one human character we're meant to like, William, is eventually shown to have grown cold and uncaring about the robotic sentience he was once entranced by in the form of Dolores.

:whistle:

My wife and I tried to watch the second episode but both fell asleep over the weekend. While I'm intrigued by the idea and style of the show, the pacing just throws it off. I'm not saying it needs to be action packed, but I'm not finding myself invested enough. Part of that might be my love of characters. No one really makes me care about them- it doesn't help more than half are robots.

My HBO subscription ends this week and I think I'm letting it run out. I'll probably pick this back up when GoT returns and we have nothing to watch.

You can't 'care' for robots? Don't watch Blade Runner.

The androids in Blade Runner are never portrayed like the ones in this iteration of Westworld; they possess free will and act emotionally almost exactly as humans do. It would be harder to identify with Rutger Hauer's powerfully emotional android character if you saw him sitting nude on a chair powerlessly and mindlessly recounting the source of his motivations to his human creators like you do in this show. The great and beautiful irony of Blade Runner was that the androids displayed more humanity than the human characters did, but the opposite is true so far in Westworld.

Yes, because there have only been 2 episodes so far - in the UK anyway - but already you can see emotions coming through with some of the hosts.

Westworld is HBO's Most Watched Season 1 Original Series Ever

Westworld-717628.jpg

Since HBO renewed Westworld for season 2 before season 1 ever ended, it was clear that the series (adapted from the Michael Crichton 1973 movie) had come out of the gate strong. Now however, it has earned a new milestone: Westworld is HBO's most watched first season of an original series, ever.

Deadline reports that Westworld's season 1 finale drew in 2.2 million viewers; about 3.6 million with HBO GO and HBO Now streaming services factored in. Those are solid increases in viewership, and the report notes that Westworld has actually helped HBO's streaming services gain subscribers.

The show's total is about 12 million viewers across all platforms, making it the record holder for most watched first season of HBO original series.

:applause:

SYFY Channel has posted the original Westworld movie to its on-demand catalog.

It's been years since I have seen this. But it is still entertaining and thought-provoking. Though who knew DOS would outdo Skynet?

:ohnoez: