• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Extremely slow episode compared to the first one.  I didn't notice any big reveals, just development of plotlines begun last episode.

It was just fun to see how Delos got involved by revealing the hosts during the party/pitch.  And that we know Delos got involved because of the information that could collect on the guests. (Cue Facebook).  I liked how they surprised us with a cameo from Giancarlo Esposito from Breaking Bad fame. I agree, not much going on that last episode.

10 minutes ago, Rodey said:

I liked how they surprised us with a cameo from Giancarlo Esposito from Breaking Bad fame.

I was like "YES!!!  HELLO, FRING!!"

And then "OH, NO, GOODBYE FRING!!"  :makepoint:

Not that I thought it was ever in doubt, but it was confirmed HBO signed on for a 3rd season of Westworld. Some random thoughts..... I would have never guessed that was Floki in the first episode. He’s a great actor, just like his dad. I also think there is a good chance the scene in the first episode where it shows all the drowned hosts and Bernard saying “I killed them” might end up being the final scene of this season. I also hope we end up seeing Armacist again but it isn’t looking like it. Bernard had asked Ford, after finding out he was a host, why he would burden him with having to deal with the death of a child but it now looks like Arnold did have to deal with the death of Charlie.

On 5/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, the_Thing ® said:

Not that I thought it was ever in doubt, but it was confirmed HBO signed on for a 3rd season of Westworld. Some random thoughts..... I would have never guessed that was Floki in the first episode. He’s a great actor, just like his dad. I also think there is a good chance the scene in the first episode where it shows all the drowned hosts and Bernard saying “I killed them” might end up being the final scene of this season. I also hope we end up seeing Armacist again but it isn’t looking like it. Bernard had asked Ford, after finding out he was a host, why he would burden him with having to deal with the death of a child but it now looks like Arnold did have to deal with the death of Charlie.

There are some theories on Reddit that Teddy gets uploaded into Bernard's body (which is what we are seeing when he said, "I killed them")

On 5/1/2018 at 3:20 AM, fantastic_four said:

Extremely slow episode compared to the first one. 

I'm glad it wasn't just me.  Kept falling asleep, waking up, rewinding, falling asleep, waking up, rewinding...

On 5/4/2018 at 11:54 AM, Rodey said:

There are some theories on Reddit that Teddy gets uploaded into Bernard's body (which is what we are seeing when he said, "I killed them")

That theory is viable but extremely complex...very little of "I killed them" implies Teddy, it's that coupled with half a dozen other tiny difficult-to-notice-on-a-single-viewing side elements leading people to that idea.  Having heard the hypothesis you're referring to on The Ringer's "Westworld: The Recappables" podcast, I'm guessing the guy who came up with it watched the first episode many times before he came to that idea

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

That theory is viable but extremely complex...very little of "I killed them" implies Teddy, it's that coupled with half a dozen other tiny difficult-to-notice-on-a-single-viewing side elements leading people to that idea.  Having heard the hypothesis you're referring to on The Ringer's "Westworld: The Recappables" podcast, I'm guessing the guy who came up with it watched the first episode many times before he came to that idea

Now I need to rewatch the last episode.

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I completely agree with you. Especially after watching this last episode. I kinda think it's just a clone of Bernard.  One of the other things took for with Bernard is the scar on his right temple after shooting himself in S1.  That helps to separate the timelines. Unless its the clone theory. Ugh. Brain hurt! 

1 hour ago, Rodey said:

I completely agree with you. Especially after watching this last episode. I kinda think it's just a clone of Bernard.  One of the other things took for with Bernard is the scar on his right temple after shooting himself in S1.  That helps to separate the timelines. Unless its the clone theory. Ugh. Brain hurt! 

I listened to the same podcast, and I think it's a really good theory.  If you see Bernard in the 1st episode, he's not acting like himself.  Does he even have his glasses on?  I don't remember seeing him ever clean them.  That's his "tell", it's one of the core things in his personality.

another theory in spoilers, I forget if this one has been brought up here

Spoiler

The big thing Delios is doing is replacing people with "hosts" on the outside.  Why would you go through all the trouble of making the hosts out of DNA vs robots with skin overlays unless you need real people.  The only computer part of the hosts seems to be the brain.  If they have the DNA (you see them collecting it in the underground bunker) and it's said in season 1 that it's very expensive to go to Westworld (so only the wealthy and powerful can afford to go) and you record every moment of interactions in westworld plus any other times you have them on tape, you can probably make a fairly accurate duplicate of someone.

The 2nd part, is if the Delios father (I forget his name, let's call him fake Richard Branson) has been uploaded into Deloris' father.  that's a big part of why they say they need to make sure he gets off the island safe.

After seeing the look on Delores’s face after Teddy didn’t kill the Confederado Major, as she ordered him to, I think it’s quite clear that Teddy’s days are numbered. I don’t understand why Delores had all the Confederados killed. Hell, at least they were firepower. Lastly it was good to see Armistice back with her “dragon”.

Really good episode last night.  I'm guessing they didn't reveal the big secret thing the Delos board is up to, but the idea that they're trying to develop android bodies to upload human consciousness to is definitely a viable candidate for whatever it is they're up to.  It's probably that, but far more than that.

When would you place that last scene between the modern-day William and James Delos version 149?  Was that shortly before the big uprising that ended last season?  None of the human bodies down there were decomposed, so it couldn't have been too long.  At most a few weeks or months between then and when Bernard had everyone killed, which presumably must have happened just days before since none of the bodies looked bad.

What a horrible concept--uploading yourself into an android body, you know you're dead and that's what happened, and you know you're glitching out but can't do much about it.  Hopefully I wouldn't go insane and start carving myself up like that, but who the heck knows.  Quite a hellish depiction of existence though.  :ohnoez:

Edited by fantastic_four

I couldn't fully hear that last quote from Delos during the episode, so here's the full text of it since it sounded significant:

"They say there were two fathers. One above, one below. They lied. There was only ever the devil, who managed to look up from the bottom. It was just his reflection laughing back down at you."

Great episode. I think the human consciousness into an android theory is right. So who’s consciousness did Bernard get? It would have to be Ford’s or William’s. I had also already figured out who the mysterious woman was.

Oh yea, my favorite part is when the Man in Black actually sort of appeared to have some empathy for Lawrence and his wife during flashbacks of his wife’s suicide. ‘You don’t know death, you’ve been sitting across from him’. That was good.

16 minutes ago, the_Thing ® said:

So who’s consciousness did Bernard get? It would have to be Ford’s or William’s. 

It's certainly Arnold's body, so I've been assuming it's some variant of Arnold's consciousness, too, although clearly it isn't straight up Arnold.  It seems like some Ford-altered version of Arnold.

13 minutes ago, the_Thing ® said:

Oh yea, my favorite part is when the Man in Black actually sort of appeared to have some empathy for Lawrence and his wife during flashbacks of his wife’s suicide. ‘You don’t know death, you’ve been sitting across from him’. That was good.

It was, but then he explicitly told the Ford-controlled version of their daughter that he wasn't being noble.  But it did seem personal there, so I'm not sure I completely believe him.  It probably wasn't to save any of them, but they reminded him of something from his past and it inspired him to take the chance to make his escape.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's certainly Arnold's body, so I've been assuming it's some variant of Arnold's consciousness, too, although clearly it isn't straight up Arnold.  It seems like some Ford-altered version of Arnold.

I didn’t think of that. ?

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It was, but then he explicitly told the Ford-controlled version of their daughter that he wasn't being noble.  But it did seem personal there, so I'm not sure I completely believe him.  It probably wasn't to save any of them, but they reminded him of something from his past and it inspired him to take the chance to make his escape.

I think it might have showed sympathy/empathy because MIB killed off exactly what he had been trying to find. His own army. But then again that Confederado Major was such a whack job he might have wanted to hold out for someone a bit less psycho. If you looked closely he even had a slight reaction to the kiss from Lawrence’s wife too.

Edited by the_Thing ®

23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I agree. Has to be Arnold (some people are speculating it's Young William and that is what the MIB is going to get when finds the Door). Basically, they are saying the MIB has been a host for some time. I love reading these theories.