• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

Thanks as always, guys!

Another great podcast really like David talking collecting in general and what to look out for when you buy a piece of art. One thing you didn't talk about was art for published covers that are made up of a combination of art and stats, but the separate original drawn cover is slightly different. Someone at the publisher usually the editor had the cover changed in pre-production. The problem is they are then sold or at auction and promoted as the original art and the scans made it hard to tell if its all original art. An example where you really need to do research, too many times on auctions the description or scans can be very misleading.

Restoration was on my mid because of a thread here that I was reading in the morning before talking to Dave! But I do remember that it was a topic you felt should be discussed in any panels regarding OA. I agree that it's something that collectors, especially newbies, should learn about, especially since so much is undisclosed. I've heard more than one dealer/seller grumble about Robert Dennis showing the before-and-after pics of his work. Whereas I think trying to hide it only adds to the stigma. In any case, I'd want to know.

I have to admit, I have not yet dived in to the podcasts, but I have just recently discovered Felix's 'Show & Tell' series and it's honestly some of the best stuff I've seen. I love the way it's produced with the art front and center and the owner in a voice over saying, apparently, whatever comes to mind when they look at the piece.

The stories are great, and surprisingly often, touching. I particularly enjoyed Scott Dunbier speaking about his Manhunter piece and sharing yet another story detailing how nice of a guy Walt Simonson is.

Top notch stuff, they should have more views.

(Speaking of which, Felix, you may want to gather things together into Playlists, just a thought.)

Thanks!

I'll get around to organizing the videos one of these days.

What I'm not sure that viewers realize is that all of these show-and-tell videos are unrehearsed. We just roll camera and let the collectors talk about whatever comes to mind when they look at their art. I'm amazed and impressed by how eloquent these guys are, off-the-cuff. And sometimes you get a completely unguarded moment as with Scott. I'm glad you guys are enjoying them, they're a lot of fun to do.

Felix, thank you for addressing my question and thanks for the compliment, too. After I emailed you the question, I thought that I had just sent the dumbest question out there, but you made it sound legit "on air."

I was very satisfied with David Mandel's answer. I was curious to know what motivates a collector who has an end-all collection and the means to acquire high-end pieces to come out of "retirement"? You know, I thought he was going to say something that pointed to an AF15 page, or the like, but to say that it was --- (I won't spoil it for those who haven't listened, but it's a Gil Kane cover), a cover he values at a "mere" $10K-$15K was a refreshing surprise. He did insinuate that he wouldn't spend "crazy stupid money" though. But what would that be? $30K? I did take away that he'd probably do something like $20K in trade (my insinuation). So in wondering what pieces a collector like David goes after, he sort of answered my question two other times: that Mazzachelli cover (which he traded heavily) and prime examples of Ditko Spidey villains.

What more, I truly admire about David is that he won't give in to extortion or pay a king's weight in ransom for a piece. Because of this, he's unfettered to give real talk about his Holy Grails and with that I think he takes back some power in negotiations if it ever came to that. Applying some armchair psychology to him, I wonder if he won't pay today's inflated prices because of the market prices he paid 20 years ago. Or to make a layperson analogy: it's like when I refuse to pay $50 for sketches from an artist to whom I used to pay $20 last year.

Just a final thought. David says he's taken a backseat in buying in the last 5 years (with the exception of that Skottie piece--yay!). What would the market be like today if he didn't slow down and he was making aggressive bids? I guess it might not be fair to put too weight on one person, but one must wonder.

All in all, great podcast. I could've listened to you guys all day.

Felix, I really enjoyed the latest interview.

I do have one criticism: there were a number of times Dave was speaking, and I wanted to hear what he had to say- but you cut him off to interject. And when he was trying to continue his thought, you would raise your voice to drown him out until he stopped talking. The podcast would be even more enjoyable allowing the guest to take center stage more.

Just my opinion. I do enjoy the show (and youtube videos).

Seconded. Only drawback to the show. Aside from a serious lack of Liefeld discussion;)

Felix, thank you for addressing my question and thanks for the compliment, too. After I emailed you the question, I thought that I had just sent the dumbest question out there, but you made it sound legit "on air."

I liked your question, so no problem!

I was very satisfied with David Mandel's answer. I was curious to know what motivates a collector who has an end-all collection and the means to acquire high-end pieces to come out of "retirement"? You know, I thought he was going to say something that pointed to an AF15 page, or the like, but to say that it was --- (I won't spoil it for those who haven't listened, but it's a Gil Kane cover), a cover he values at a "mere" $10K-$15K was a refreshing surprise. He did insinuate that he wouldn't spend "crazy stupid money" though. But what would that be? $30K? I did take away that he'd probably do something like $20K in trade (my insinuation). So in wondering what pieces a collector like David goes after, he sort of answered my question two other times: that Mazzachelli cover (which he traded heavily) and prime examples of Ditko Spidey villains.

He's gone after anything and everything in his wheelhouse, Mazz and Ditko are just two examples. If he's slowed down, it's because there's not much left that he wants/needs for the collection.

What more, I truly admire about David is that he won't give in to extortion or pay a king's weight in ransom for a piece. Because of this, he's unfettered to give real talk about his Holy Grails and with that I think he takes back some power in negotiations if it ever came to that. Applying some armchair psychology to him, I wonder if he won't pay today's inflated prices because of the market prices he paid 20 years ago. Or to make a layperson analogy: it's like when I refuse to pay $50 for sketches from an artist to whom I used to pay $20 last year.

A couple of points:

1. Again, he pretty much already has everything he could possibly want. There's not much out there that he can't live without. So that makes it easier him to be more nonchalant about any potential new acquisitions. I think we all get there at some point, even if we don't have massive collections like Dave's.

2. Theoretically, he COULD pay today's inflated prices (and actually, he has) BECAUSE he paid market prices 20 years ago. He just leverages the appreciation gained from those pieces into new pieces at today's prices.

Just a final thought. David says he's taken a backseat in buying in the last 5 years (with the exception of that Skottie piece--yay!). What would the market be like today if he didn't slow down and he was making aggressive bids? I guess it might not be fair to put too weight on one person, but one must wonder.

All in all, great podcast. I could've listened to you guys all day.

He's taken a backseat on the mega-auctions, but he's still be collecting, including new art (when he says he's not buying much new art, it's in a relative sense, compared to how he used to collect...compared to the average collector, he's still active enough and will pay top dollar for pieces he wants, such as Skottie's connecting SW covers).

There have been a couple of major BSDs in the last few years who aren't actively engaged as before, but others have stepped in to pick up the slack. And then some. So no net effect on that end of the market. What remains to be seen is what will happen with THOSE guys slow down.

Thanks again!

I do have one criticism: there were a number of times Dave was speaking, and I wanted to hear what he had to say- but you cut him off to interject. And when he was trying to continue his thought, you would raise your voice to drown him out until he stopped talking. The podcast would be even more enjoyable allowing the guest to take center stage more.

Actually, I do try to keep that in mind when I do these. The thing to remember is that these aren't meant to be formal interviews. What I'm hoping to capture is a conversation. As it is, I think everyone is conscious of being recorded. Otherwise, we can get LOUD. No one's disrespectful, just passionate about this nerdy hobby!

But thanks for the feedback, glad you're enjoying otherwise!

Seconded. Only drawback to the show. Aside from a serious lack of Liefeld discussion;)

Don't worry, we go back to crapping on '90 art in a couple of episodes:P

Next two are in the can, I already let slip January's guest in this latest episode. Very happy to get that one done, I think you'll all enjoy the video, too.

Outstanding podcast as per the usual. Already waiting for DM vol 3 to drop next Christmas

It's "DMIII" in Dark Knight fashion

+1

I demand a DMIII next year! I'm sure he has a lot more to say; especially if '17 brings up something interesting...or catastrophic! :insane:

Next two are in the can, I already let slip January's guest in this latest episode. Very happy to get that one done, I think you'll all enjoy the video, too.

Ironically, isn't Scott Williams part of "90s art" or does he get a pass???

Ironically, isn't Scott Williams part of "90s art" or does he get a pass???

You'll have to listen to find out!

I'd love a 90s art appreciation podcast

Actually, been working on putting one together. A buddy of mine is a long-time collector who also happened to be one of the first staffers at Image back in the '90s. IIRC, he was with them as early as Malibu. He's got the stories from the inside!

Will possibly add one or two other '90s fans for a roundtable. Hoping to get it done sometime in 2017.

These are so good. Big thanks for doing these Felix!

As for the interrupting comment. I have noticed a couple times but I also realize you have certain topics you want to hit so I get it. Doesn't really bother me too much. I always like the line of conversation that you pull out of these sessions.

Keep up the great work!

So would I. Although I have very little artwork from that period, I have a great fondness for it. While I understand that it's an easy target for "crapping on"; I wonder if the Felix Comic Art Podcast can look past their own prejudices and find the joy.

These are so good. Big thanks for doing these Felix!

As for the interrupting comment. I have noticed a couple times but I also realize you have certain topics you want to hit so I get it. Doesn't really bother me too much. I always like the line of conversation that you pull out of these sessions.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

So would I. Although I have very little artwork from that period, I have a great fondness for it. While I understand that it's an easy target for "crapping on"; I wonder if the Felix Comic Art Podcast can look past their own prejudices and find the joy.

Scroll up two posts;)

Actually, been working on putting one together. A buddy of mine is a long-time collector who also happened to be one of the first staffers at Image back in the '90s. IIRC, he was with them as early as Malibu. He's got the stories from the inside!

Will possibly add one or two other '90s fans for a roundtable. Hoping to get it done sometime in 2017.

Perfect!