• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, malvin said:

Scott Free is his name?  Are you sure you aren't being punked? :p

The might be the real Mister Miracle.

Malvin

One of the first things they talk about is how 'Scott Free' is his stage name. I'm uncertain why all of the secrecy, maybe they get in to that - I'm only 25 minutes in.

Felix,

Very interesting podcast! He mentioned getting rid his big pieces, does he still have any OA? Does he still collect OA at all?

Brian

Edited by Brian Peck

2 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Felix,

Very interesting podcast! He mentioned getting rid his big pieces, does he still have any OA? Does he still collect OA at all?

Brian

Scott doesn't have much original art these days as far as I know, but he does have an assortment of collectibles he sells.  I will ask him if he'd create an account and answer some follow up questions if anyone is interested.

I bet there's all kinds of feedback on this episode.
Listened to it yesterday afternoon. Fascinating. Not even so much about the art as about the whole nature of the tale.

I can see the Felix Podcast Ad in comics now:

Betrayal...

drugs...

strippers...

comic art!

Hoping you'll be sharing some of the feedback you get from the field on this one!

11 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Nice job Felix.

I think Albert was the one that originally bought the Death of Joker page.   Ask him at SDCC.

Cheers!

N.

I believe Albert sold the attached page. Which is the unpublished all-Janson inked version of the page. A separate Miller-inked page also exists (which was used for publication).

miller-batman-the-dark-knight-Death of Joker.jpg

On 5/10/2017 at 2:32 AM, ESeffinga said:

Hoping you'll be sharing some of the feedback you get from the field on this one!

There's been a lot of feedback via social media. Mostly from fans who had no idea this situation with duplicate DKR panels/pages existed. I kind of took for granted that people knew. Turns out, this is big news, lol!

Edited by Nexus

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

One thing I didn't hear explained in the podcast...

@Nexus - did he tell you why he wanted to remain basically anonymous? Or is he still using his 'stage name' in everyday life? Was there any discussion around that?

I was wondering this as well.

Felix?

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

One thing I didn't hear explained in the podcast...

@Nexus - did he tell you why he wanted to remain basically anonymous? Or is he still using his 'stage name' in everyday life? Was there any discussion around that?

I didn't ask. My sense was that "Scott Free" was his stage name as a musician and he just used it elsewhere, too. The guy has flair and I think there's a performance aspect to his public persona. In his private life, he uses his real name.

I have to say that this was the one podcast I was most excited to do. Everyone else I've talked to I pretty much know. There wasn't much they'd say that would be a surprise to me. This guy, OTOH, has been a total mystery for years. That he's even still around was cool to find out. So thanks again to Flambit for putting him in touch with me.

On 5/9/2017 at 8:41 AM, Nexus said:

DKRSDCC1987A2.jpg

DKRSDCC1987B2.jpg

Forgot to mention something about these two pics. A listener sent them to me. They're screen caps from a video he shot at SDCC 1987. The art was displayed at Scott Free's table.

What's crazy is that I had just done the podcast with Scott...but this guy had no idea. He simply sent them because he thought I'd like to see them. The timing was pure serendipity.

I get a lot of e-mails about the podcast from newbies to the hobby, and that's cool. But what's also been great is to hear from all the under-the-radar old-timers. I'll share more either via the podcast or in this thread, when I have permission.

Edited by Nexus

Does anyone know what pages McFarlane inked from DKR? Someone has video from that show? I would like to see that!

Thanks again for doing all this work on putting out these podcasts, I find them to be incredibly informative and have learned a lot from them!

"Klaus came over to my friend’s apartment and dropped a bunch of pages off to my friend who was helping out on the backgrounds of that mini-series."

This is a far cry from inking the whole pages. I had a college roommate who did background color separations for a colorist who was nearby so I don't think that this type of thing is that uncommon.

And Steranko is the real life Mr. Miracle!

Edited by Bird

Fascinating podcast. Scott was laying it all out there IDGAF style.

I'm glad that the "Scott Free Mystery" has been solved; I had been very curious about it since Benno's episode. And I'm so glad Scott explained his pricing on the piece because even I was, like, $1000 for a piece of art in '87 is A LOT of money. I love how it was hard for him to keep his cool as he tallied up a sale that's how serious money it was back then.

Thanks for bringing us the Scott's story, Felix, and so quickly too.