• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

Yes, maybe wasn't clear enough here. In general, though, there's a bit that can be inferred by reading between the lines...there's always going to be stuff we won't be too explicit about. But savvy listeners should be able to figure out. If there are any questions about anything, shoot me an e-mail, I'll do my best to explain.

In fairness to Gene, he was more than willing to talk about art/deals like the X-MEN #172. I'm hoping to have Gene on again in NYCC, so if there's a specific question you wanted to ask, let me know and I'll bring it up then.

Yes, maybe wasn't clear enough here. In general, though, there's a bit that can be inferred by reading between the lines...there's always going to be stuff we won't be too explicit about. But savvy listeners should be able to figure out. If there are any questions about anything, shoot me an e-mail, I'll do my best to explain.

In fairness to Gene, he was more than willing to talk about art/deals like the X-MEN #172. I'm hoping to have Gene on again in NYCC, so if there's a specific question you wanted to ask, let me know and I'll bring it up then.

Gene gets a TWO-PARTER!!!

"Will Gene's Wife Freak Out When She Discovers The Crate Marked 'Artemis & Apollo' In Their Living Room?"

"Tune next time....Same-Felix-Time....Same-Felix-Channel!!!!"

Gene gets a TWO-PARTER!!!

"Will Gene's Wife Freak Out When She Discovers The Crate Marked 'Artemis & Apollo' In Their Living Room?"

Shhhhhhhhhhhh....!!!

Hope to check out tonight after work. If not, this weekend for sure!

At this point, I think DKR needs to make an appearance in every podcast. It’s become part of your signature Felix. And count me as interested in hearing the back stories on the wheeling and dealing that goes on and has been done in the past. Of course, only where the info is not private – I am sure there has to be some deals that people talk about openly that would be entertaining. Us relative noobs need to figure out how to do the art of the deal. Also, when do we get the topic of “the cabal” worked into an interview?

Also, when do we get the topic of “the cabal” worked into an interview?

The Cabal is discussed in this episode (towards the end), as is Oleg the Smartest Oligarch!

Also, when do we get the topic of “the cabal” worked into an interview?

The Cabal is discussed in this episode (towards the end), as is Oleg the Smartest Oligarch!

Nice, I hope all my questions are answered!

so who are part of the cabal? art dealers? private collectors? auction houses?

You are on the same quest as I ... hoping the podcast shines a light on the cabal secrecy ... this podcast is a must listen (but then again I consider them all to be must-listen)

this was the first podcast I've listened to, it was great! I'd watched some of the videos.

so yes, can we have one post with links to certain pieces or galleries that were discussed? it might be nice to have a one stop to help follow along.

Its amazing how people seem to criticize art that they DON'T OWN.......and don't "understand"

(from the podcast....)

As we all know art is SUBJECTIVE....... We all like what we like..and in general this was discussed in the podcast..... BUT....

This Brunner cover above is arguably 1 of the BEST Brunner drawn covers to be had in recent years (artistically)...

One of the few covers i've ever seen from Marvel that was drawn on CRAFTINT board for an amazing gray tone effect!

But this great cover (which I sold to a good friend on this board recently) was discussed about on the podcast as being just another example of art priced too high, and how prices have gotten out of hand in the hobby....

Maybe we should define the term "EXPERT" when discussing art in our hobby which many people not in the know and listening to this podcast may take as gospel.

Frankly...the host could have been much better served to have picked "50-75" other covers to discuss in the podcast on dealers racks at San Diego that were priced 2...even 3 TIMES retail values if he really wants to discuss the art market and whats WRONG in the hobby.......Just walk around a little more and take a few notes to be a little more prepared to discuss the market, versus choosing this one if you truly want to have a fair debate on this subject of over valued art.

I think this will make for better podcasts in the future.

Just my 2 cents....I listened to the podcast in full..........overall It was a decent listen and something that is good for the hobby.

Edited by romitaman

haters gonna hate

IMG_5545_zpsgu3yylgp.jpg

I remember telling a couple of people, as the auction was going on, that I'd passed this one by, came back to it and looked at the larger scans and realized how gorgeous the line work was on this cover. It's one of the nicest jobs I'd seen. If this were Dr Strange I could only imagine the bloodbath of competition that would have ensued.