• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

True....he'll drop it quickly when we find out his true Sith name.

Saw it this morning at 10am. Theater was packed -- this movie is going to make a gazillion dollars.

As for the movie...I have mixed feelings right now. Everything seemed so convenient, no clear reasons why Ben Solo hates his parents so much. I guess we can wait a few years for more backstory but that is never a great way to introduce characters IMO. It did feel like Abrams was lacking in originality with many of the scenes and themes being plucked directly from A New Hope. If it's not broke don't fix it I guess.

I think many fans will be pleased with this film and the pacing and acting were on point compared to the bad taste the prequels left everyone with. But I do give Lucas a little more credit now in trying to craft a different story with episodes 1,2 and 3. I feel anyone could have came up with the cookie cutter film Disney just presented us.

8 out of 10

This is probably the most accurate statement of the thread. Except for the 8/10 part, maybe 2 out of ten as Rey and Finn were good characters. There are two Star Wars movies that I would never watch again, AOTC and this one.

This had absolutely no heart, I knew I was in trouble when Han died and I wasn't crying like a baby. I mean my favourite fictional character of all time died, and I didn't even blink, cause it wasn't real Star Wars.

A third Death Star...really? People who pick up a lightsaber for the first time can wield it like a master swordsman...really? A lost droid on a sand planet carrying a message/map...really? Han has to travel to a planet and enter the bunker and blow it up with charges to disable the shields again....really? I already know how #9 ends, with Rey saving her brother from the dark side.

Predictable horse AND dog excrement, cuz it really is both.

I wouldn't call it The Force Awakens...more like Star Wars: The Parody

Jim

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Jim :(

I have things i didn't like about it but i still enjoyed it. Hopefully you give it a second chance because it'll suck for you to go on hating SW with all the new movies coming out. But hey you might enjoy the anthology movies more.

So true.

The future still looks bright for all that's coming, even for those that didn't like this film.

I personally can't wait for Rian Johnson's take on the next one. Absolutely loved his films Brick and Looper.

I hope they get whoever wrote the scripts for those two movies.

Johnson wrote and directed both.

Well that is a good sign. I liked Looper very much but Brick is such a fantastic movie.

PS: Don't tell me it can't be done, that sequels can never be as good, or better than, the originals.

Godfather Part II destroyed that myth.

And The Dark Knight, while it had its flaws, is just as good a Batman film...stupid Christian Bale aside...as Batman.

It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare.

Stop taking the outliers and making them a norm.

Here, let me repeat what I just said, emphasizing the important part:

"It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare. "

Emphasis to the important parts added. That means, and pardon me for belaboring the point, but it needs to be clarified, that it is, by definition of the words and phrases I have used, not the "norm."

That is the direct opposite of "making them the norm."

Nothing ever in the next million years of SW movie making can beat Empire Strikes Back yet alone the original trilogy as a whole.

....says everyone without vision.

It won't and will never happen. So get over it and just enjoy episode VII which was a really good SW movie.

TFA was a decent movie. It was certainly not a great movie, and certainly did not live up to the first two in any meaningful way, despite directly lifting scenes and situations from both, which is part of the problem.

I'm not quite sure what I need to "get over", since I didn't say that anyone had to make a movie that "was better than Empire."

Advice you may take or leave: don't argue in absolutes, and don't argue against things others didn't say. That's how teenagers argue, and I know you're not a teenager.

A movie where he tracks down the Jedi's and kills them makes abolsute sense. (shrug)

Tracks down the Jedi's what....?

episode 3.5 etc.....

Vader killed 100's of Jedi before A New Hope so make a movie about that before James Earl Jones dies.

I'm so mean.

PS. If you're formally known as Spidermanontilt, what are you known as informally...?

I have a feeling that we are going to go on a full circle arc once again. Case in point, how was it that Ray knew how to harness the force and when Kylo Ren tells her she needs a teacher. I wonder what the connection between the two is - remember that he couldn't get inside her head but she could get inside his. Could he be her father? Maybe not old enough to be but there is a connection. What are your thoughts?

?

Might be misreading your question and who you mean. Do you mean Kylo and Rey?

Thought it was pretty clear, or at least they want us to very much believe, they are cousins.

Yes, I think it's fairly clear that they want us to believe that Rey is Luke's daughter.

I have a feeling that we are going to go on a full circle arc once again. Case in point, how was it that Ray knew how to harness the force and when Kylo Ren tells her she needs a teacher. I wonder what the connection between the two is - remember that he couldn't get inside her head but she could get inside his. Could he be her father? Maybe not old enough to be but there is a connection. What are your thoughts?

I know nothing about any story lines, these are my assumptions about what's to come.

It's another "Jedi Cycle".

Notice that Kylo Ren does not have the title "Darth". He's not a Sith, yet. We are going to see his transformation in the next film. Supreme Chancellor Snoke is his Alias....as Chancellor Palpatine was really Darth Sidious, Snoke will be revealed as another Darth, a Sith Lord...probably Plagueis, he will replace Ren's wounded limbs, and give him a suit of some kind (ala Vader) and bestow upon him his Sith name.

Luke will be the Obi Wan Jedi Master to Rey's Luke Apprentice, teaching her in the ways of the force and setting up a confrontation between Ren and Luke in the next film where Luke is "killed" like Obi-Wan was....old apprentice vs old master.

Somewhere along the line the familial relationship between Ren and Rey is revealed and Rey seeks out to bring Ren back to the light.

That sets up the final film in the trilogy, where Rey eventually helps Ren back to the light side....Ren destroys Snoke/Plagueis in the process, being mortally wounded but redeemed.

Oh....and two more planet killing Death Starkiller Murder Super Weapons are destroyed by their one fatal flaw in the process.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Unfortunate, but likely true.

JJ Abrams doesn't have it in him to diverge. He just doesn't.

So, it's second verse, same as the first.

At least the second trilogy wasn't as formulaic.

(Yikes. That's unfortunate to say.)

I liked the movie very much, but did have some issues with it, but in many ways I think the film makers had a near impossible task. This movie felt in many ways like Disney was clearing the table, getting most of the nostalgia stuff out of the way. Give us a glimpse of what has happened to our favorite characters and then reset the table so they could tell a more original story. Unfortunately, I think they were forced to tell a very familiar story, in order to get it to tie into the original movies, and give it the right feel. If they had strayed to far right off, they risked losing fans. This was first and foremost designed as a nod to the old fans, and as an apology. I really hope this is the case, because if they continue rehashing old plots for 8 and 9, I will get pissed.

The good

1. It felt like Star Wars, the prequels never did to me.

2. I liked the new characters. Rey was especially good.

3. It looked great. Wow is this movie an argument to get away from CGI and do more practical effects

4. The cast was actually capable of acting.

5. It planted many seeds that made me excited to keep watching

6. Loved seeing Han and Chewie one last time.

The bad

1. To much repeated plot

2. Please no more planet shaped, easily defeated super weapons

3, The First Order did not come across as a credible threat. Where the movie was good in filling in some of the gaps, a little more time should have been spent on how the First Order came to be.

I'd happily not see another dog fight in space/on a planet ever again.

Or a giant death ray/doom machine.

But I respect that the director resisted the impulse to make everything faster, bigger, louder for the dog fights, and instead kept the WW 2 dogfight look and speed.

I'd happily not see another dog fight in space/on a planet ever again.

Or a giant death ray/doom machine.

But I respect that the director resisted the impulse to make everything faster, bigger, louder for the dog fights, and instead kept the WW 2 dogfight look and speed.

True, but those scenes are really cliched now.

PS: Don't tell me it can't be done, that sequels can never be as good, or better than, the originals.

Godfather Part II destroyed that myth.

And The Dark Knight, while it had its flaws, is just as good a Batman film...stupid Christian Bale aside...as Batman.

It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare.

Stop taking the outliers and making them a norm.

Here, let me repeat what I just said, emphasizing the important part:

"It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare. "

Emphasis to the important parts added. That means, and pardon me for belaboring the point, but it needs to be clarified, that it is, by definition of the words and phrases I have used, not the "norm."

That is the direct opposite of "making them the norm."

Nothing ever in the next million years of SW movie making can beat Empire Strikes Back yet alone the original trilogy as a whole.

....says everyone without vision.

It won't and will never happen. So get over it and just enjoy episode VII which was a really good SW movie.

TFA was a decent movie. It was certainly not a great movie, and certainly did not live up to the first two in any meaningful way, despite directly lifting scenes and situations from both, which is part of the problem.

I'm not quite sure what I need to "get over", since I didn't say that anyone had to make a movie that "was better than Empire."

Advice you may take or leave: don't argue in absolutes, and don't argue against things others didn't say. That's how teenagers argue, and I know you're not a teenager.

Leaving it.

Has the bible been out done yet?

Still the best fictional story of all time.

Sometimes in life things can not be out done.

1. Bible (best good vs evil story ever)

2. 1996 Chicago Bulls

3. '77-83 Star Wars Trilogy

4. Godfather Part 1 and 2

The day any of us see a Star Wars film that the majority of people enjoy more than the Empire Strikes Back is the day my Eagles actually stop choking and win a superbowl.

I think in abolsute not hope.

Vader is dead, we have to let him go, even though he was protrayed so poorly we all cringe...

Well, I cringe.

It was terrible.

Ewan McGregor carried that whole installment on his shoulders, and sadly, one actor cannot carry an entire franchise through hell

Saw it for the 2nd time today. Enjoyed it even more than the 1st time. This is my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie but I took kids who said it was their new favorite. It felt like hanging out with an old friend for me and seeing the scene where Chewie is having his wound tended to made lol for a 2nd time. This was pure fun imo. I'll be going to see it again in the near future.

Leaving it.

Has the bible been out done yet?

Still the best fictional story of all time.

hm

You're aware that there is no collection of writings that is as thoroughly supported by archaeology as the Torah, Tanakh, and the Brit Hadashah, aren't you...?

Sometimes in life things can not be out done.

1. Bible (best good vs evil story ever)

The Bible isn't a story of good vs. evil, though many millions of people believe otherwise.

2. 1996 Chicago Bulls

3. '77-83 Star Wars Trilogy

4. Godfather Part 1 and 2

The day any of us see a Star Wars film that the majority of people enjoy more than the Empire Strikes Back is the day my Eagles actually stop choking and win a superbowl.

Who said anything about a majority of people? Half the people are of below average intelligence. "Popularity" does not determine, and never has determined, the artistic merit of a work.

I think in abolsute not hope.

Mr. Abolsute thanks you for thinking of him.

Don't recall if this was mentioned but when Rey holds the lightsaber, don't we see the Falcon "leaving her" in one of her visions ?

Could it have been the Falcon that left her on that planet as a baby ?

Don't recall if this was mentioned but when Rey holds the lightsaber, don't we see the Falcon "leaving her" in one of her visions ?

Could it have been the Falcon that left her on that planet as a baby ?

I remember seeing a ship leaving her but I don't recall it being the Falcon.

I didn't think I would be able to see it this weekend but we made it out after all. I have been avoiding as much hype as possible and wanted to go in with little expectation or preconceived notions etc. That being said I think it was awesome!

I think Abrams did a wonderful job with what is arguably a nightmare of a task for obvious reasons. I thought it was very subtle overall and showed restraint in use of special effects. The characters were well drawn out and acted and while some plot elements may seem/are derivative - so be it. I still cared about who they were and where they were going derivative or not.

There was applause at the end of our showing and all I could think leaving the theatre was whens the next one? I am really excited for episode VIII, I can't wait to see how Mark Hamill plays out in all this.

Cool thing for me leaving was that the theatre we saw it in is on the same site where as a 10 year old in 77 I saw the original.

I quite deliberately went and saw it in the same auditorium in which I saw the original aged 6 (thumbs u

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

I agree with that. It jarred when I first heard it. I tried rolling it around in my head, but concluded that it just sounded like the name of a furry sidekick. Like Snarf, or the Gronk. No gravitas.