• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Solo going out in the least heroic way possible. Cmon.

Some might argue trying to save ones son from the dark side is pretty heroic, at least in terms of fatherhood.

Killing off main characters is a sign of weak writing.

Or a sign that the actor wants nothing to with the franchise and had to be paid a king's ransom to appear AND be promised he was done forever with the character.

lol my father actually said the same thing

Pretty amazing numbers, really....$20 million PLUS a half point on the gross.

I heard Andy Greenwald talking on the Bill Simmons channel, and he made a good point about JJ Abrhams.

JJ is the guy you want when you want someone to recapture a feeling, when you want someone to steward an existing IP, and when you need a cast put together (along with his casting directors).

JJ is not the guy you want creating something new. His new stuff only worked as far as homage, and not at all as new content.

Super 8? Great homage to Spielberg. As a movie? Hit and miss. Cast, strong. Telling a new story? Miss.

Star Trek? Again, good management of the core of the ST vibe, great casting, but the story? Time travel what? Kahn huh?

Even his TV stuff collapsed under its own weight (Fringe, Alias, Lost)

I think he was the right guy to get things started, but I'm glad they arent sticking with him.

Yes, this jibes with my sentiment.

Some might argue trying to save ones son from the dark side is pretty heroic, at least in terms of fatherhood.

Or a sign that the actor wants nothing to with the franchise and had to be paid a king's ransom to appear AND be promised he was done forever with the character.

You want those points! Youd think that would be incentive enough to at least be in the 2nd movie. Oh well

You want those points! Youd think that would be incentive enough to at least be in the 2nd movie. Oh well

The guy's in his 70's, and nearly killed himself earlier this year.

He's got bazillions of dollars...why would he want to risk life and limb further?

He's got bazillions of dollars...why would he want to risk life and limb further?

money to buy a new plane? lol

money to buy a new plane? lol

hm

:D

Hasnt he signed on to do a new Indiana Jones movie? Why do that?

Because he likes Indiana Jones.

He hates Han Solo.

Thats a lie!

I think it a reasonably well known that he wanted to be killed off in ROTJ but Lucas wouldn't let it happen. The ONLY way he came back for this was if they agreed to kill him off. It's what he wanted for the character. Had nothing to do with good or bad writing

As much as I loved the film, was emotionally moved to holding back tears several times throughout and will be back at least a few more times to see it in the theater...this guy makes some very solid points about everything :

https://www.facebook.com/notes/michael-french/solid-characters-hollow-world-the-force-awakens/10153165047531945

Hasnt he signed on to do a new Indiana Jones movie? Why do that?

Because he likes Indiana Jones.

He hates Han Solo.

Thats a lie!

I think it a reasonably well known that he wanted to be killed off in ROTJ but Lucas wouldn't let it happen. The ONLY way he came back for this was if they agreed to kill him off. It's what he wanted for the character. Had nothing to do with good or bad writing

Yea Ive heard it too. Im joking around with RMA.

As far as the writing is concerned, again, I think it could've been done better.

I enjoyed the movie with my 5 year old son, and he also liked it. I'd give it about an 8.5 out of 10. Not as good as 4,5,6, but much better than 1,2,3. I think Han Solo was my favorite part of the movie. It felt like the same great character, just 30 years later. I also think Rey & Finn were highlights. Plenty of moments throughout put a smile on my face.

I would have liked a little more background on the First Order & Snoke, so hopefully we'll get that in the next movie.

If I had to nitpick, two parts stood out that could have been handled better:

(1) Why on a planet where people are scavenging for food and money, is the Falcon just sitting there with a blanket on it with keys in the ignition? Seems like it would have been stolen or scavenged by the locals long ago.

(2) Already mentioned, but the fact Finn held his own with a lightsaber against Kylo Ren for more than a second seemed illogical. Especially as Finn, with saber, was almost killed fighting one-on-one with a single Stormtrooper.

Anyway, nitpicks aside, I thought it was a worthy effort and looking forward to the next Star Wars movies.

As much as I loved the film, was emotionally moved to holding back tears several times throughout and will be back at least a few more times to see it in the theater...this guy makes some very solid points about everything :

https://www.facebook.com/notes/michael-french/solid-characters-hollow-world-the-force-awakens/10153165047531945

I really liked it without thinking it's the best movie ever made so I feel like I'm fairly unbiased when I say:

No matter WHAT was done - people would be lining up to complain about it. What's the saying, "haters gonna hate."

There were tons of things which JJ and team got just right (when has a transition from the main characters of a franchise to a new generation been done better than that)? There was no way to make a perfect movie and the direction they took with this one seemed just right given all the expectations that had to be balanced. Personal expectations have a ton to do with how stuff like that gets received - after 35+ years, how could it not let people down who couldn't keep those in check and have romanticized a universe/story which always had flaws (yes, even since episodes IV & V)?

I saw the movie today and was not thrilled. I was entertained, and I did appreciate the enormous burden this film was under because of the hype and expectations. I felt that I was watching a repeat or remake of the first movie, with a few new touches added.

I also saw it in 3-D, which I regret, as it adds nothing to the film, and indeed most of the special effects looked even less convincing in 3-D. I often felt when seeing the spaceships that they looked like toys, I could not suspend my disbelief in this case, and maybe that is also the result of decades of marketing and not the fault of the production.

At any rate it was for me underwhelming. In the category of franchise revivals, Mad Max Fury Road was a far better film, and Imperator Furiosa a more convincing heroine. I do not expect to watch this Star Wars movie again, but I will probably still give the next one a try.

Abrams took a very difficult task and and made it work. Most of us liked it, those who didn't... Hopefully the Martix or Twilite reboots will do it for you.

Think it's longwinded and functions only in collecting all the basic points many are saying (which it does well), but still a bit too one sided too me. One can't blame Abrams for elements they don't like and then not give him credit for ones we do like. One shouldn't underestimate the odd hate many Trek fans have for Abrams for making their dead property relevant and it clouds what they think of him.

For instance:

Abrams has final world on casting. That cast people seem to like? He and his casting director picked them.

Those mostly new (they have all worked, some more than others, and well) face performed very well on the big stage. He directed them. The movie was going to bank regardless, but all the new actors are meeting near universal approval and acclaim.

He shot the mess out of this film. It looks beautiful, and he's not doing (relatively, this is not an art house film) cookie cutter pov choices and shots. Do we remember the green screens of death the prequels were?

Does the story have holes? I think people forget how pulpy and ridiculous these films always have been (why did the 2nd most powerful military force in the galaxy not just threaten Jabba with bombardment again - instead of that ridiculous rescue plan), and that they were a literal miracle. Did anyone see the prequels? You could have got that again. Also, as an aside, that whole thing about fans forgetting how ridiculous their beloved property is? Triple for Trek fans. They take that original series as if it was serious hard science fiction. Let me tell you, if you want hard science fiction, try to read Greg Egan - they are books only engineers love. Trek is goofy. It's the first thing I think when I pass it up on tv. A lot of us view things we love as if they are serious. Guys, it's people fighting with glow sticks.

A Harrison Ford sighting! This dude has been mailing it in for basically decades. Did you see what we saw? Han freaking SOLO. We can talk about the money all we want, and he's getting a grip, but Ford has taken checks and stunk up joints for years now. He brought it IMHO and that speaks to direction and his desire to be in the film. Ford was wonderful in this movie.

I just have a hard time trying to act like this is a film that's supposed to be comparable to the boring slog that make up most reward seasons. You know, the superbly shot, layered themes, single location, nonsense about the day in the life of somebody in some mundane town. This is a crowd pleaser. People are supposed to want to watch it. By all metrics it's doing that.

Also, the unresolved questions? We live in an episodic world that enjoys shared universes. This is the first in a trilogy. I hope nobody was pissed of after reading A Game of Thrones, because nothing is resolved in that. Still... pretty good and worthwhile story to say the least. A New Hope had an ending because they didn't REALLY know there was going to be a sequel. We don't live in that world anymore. We live in a world that understands, spoiler, they don't get to Mordor in Fellowship of the Ring.

Is this a masterpiece? Nope. But's its a damn fine time at the movies, I saw kids excited and grown men crying in the same theater. I see girls, young girls, excited about Star Wars, in ways they don't seems to be when they go to Transformers, Trek, or G.I. Joe.

What with little doubt is going to be in the top 4 grossing films of all time, an action film, stars a girl and a black dude. We all know how backwards many quadrants of this country are - couldn't stop Star Wars.

I like the film, but I could have liked this film in many ways and interpretations. I liked that they picked this one, even if it's my Star Wars for a new generation. Instead of holding on to mine, I don't know, I'm kind of glad to look at my god daughter and now be able to call it ours now.

That's the part I love.