• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Why would you be fine with humans originating on Coruscant and proliferating across the galaxy, but if Earth were one of those planets, then you suddenly have a problem? Is it because it conflicts with our current evolutionary fossil record? The gaps in the fossil record are sufficiently large enough for me to be fine with the fictional idea of humans having an extraterrestrial origin.

Not a technical problem, just personal taste. (Although if you put it like that, there actually are technical problems with that scenario, but that's not my objection.)

It's kinda hard to explain why I don't like it. Maybe I feel it would make the Star Wars universe somehow more mundane.

But that's how Lucas framed it from the very first minute of Episode IV--he described the setting for his film relative to our own time and place. (shrug)

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

What that opening line says to me is "This is a fairy tale."

Same for me.

I would hate for it to end up on Earth at some point.

Why would you be fine with humans originating on Coruscant and proliferating across the galaxy, but if Earth were one of those planets, then you suddenly have a problem? Is it because it conflicts with our current evolutionary fossil record? The gaps in the fossil record are sufficiently large enough for me to be fine with the fictional idea of humans having an extraterrestrial origin.

Not a technical problem, just personal taste. (Although if you put it like that, there actually are technical problems with that scenario, but that's not my objection.)

It's kinda hard to explain why I don't like it. Maybe I feel it would make the Star Wars universe somehow more mundane.

But that's how Lucas framed it from the very first minute of Episode IV--he described the setting for his film relative to our own time and place. (shrug)

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

What that opening line says to me is "This is a fairy tale."

The words specifically communicate science-fiction, not fantasy, in that this is a set of characters and battles that could have actually happened. It calls to mind the size of our universe that is filled with multiple galaxies, and the possibility that a story like this took place in another galaxy and another time is absolutely possible. Probable, really, although not in any way that Lucas specifically imagined.

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

True....he'll drop it quickly when we find out his true Sith name.

WTF

F-ing great name.

:screwy:

Sounds like a nickname for female genitalia.

Had me some Snoke just the other night…it was good Snoke too! Not that "back alley" Snoke. That Snoke gives you the Snuke!

First Order should have been called New Order.

Based on what Ren looks like without the mask, I agree.... lol

The soundtrack could have been Power, Corruption and Lies.

First Order should have been called New Order.

Based on what Ren looks like without the mask, I agree.... lol

The soundtrack could have been Power, Corruption and Lies.

:applause:

Peter Hook versus Bernard Sumner - but which one is the Jedi?

Another open plot point that may have been addressed earlier in the thread, and if so I apologize for dredging it back up, but why does ANYONE have Luke's lightsaber that Obi-Wan gave him that used to be Anakin's? That saber was apparently lost at the end of Empire Strikes Back when Vader cut off Luke's hand and it fell out onto the surface of Bespin. Did someone retrieve it off of the surface of the planet?

luke-skywalker-hand-cut-off-bespin-590x330.jpg

I was wondering. Maybe theyll explain it with the next movie?

Man, now that ive had time to think about it this movie was SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!

I believe someone addressed that lightsaber either from this thread or the other thread. It has to do with the old lady, she said she's been around a long time, and it could be that she from that same time as Landon house when Luke fought Vader and that how she came across the lightsaber. Also when she looks at Fin, she said something like I've seen similar eyes before, just speculation but Fin could be Landon's son.

Han asked that character how she got the lightsaber. Her reply was " That's a story for another time."

I heard Andy Greenwald talking on the Bill Simmons channel, and he made a good point about JJ Abrhams.

JJ is the guy you want when you want someone to recapture a feeling, when you want someone to steward an existing IP, and when you need a cast put together (along with his casting directors).

JJ is not the guy you want creating something new. His new stuff only worked as far as homage, and not at all as new content.

Super 8? Great homage to Spielberg. As a movie? Hit and miss. Cast, strong. Telling a new story? Miss.

Star Trek? Again, good management of the core of the ST vibe, great casting, but the story? Time travel what? Kahn huh?

Even his TV stuff collapsed under its own weight (Fringe, Alias, Lost)

I think he was the right guy to get things started, but I'm glad they arent sticking with him.

I heard Andy Greenwald talking on the Bill Simmons channel, and he made a good point about JJ Abrhams.

JJ is the guy you want when you want someone to recapture a feeling, when you want someone to steward an existing IP, and when you need a cast put together (along with his casting directors).

JJ is not the guy you want creating something new. His new stuff only worked as far as homage, and not at all as new content.

Super 8? Great homage to Spielberg. As a movie? Hit and miss. Cast, strong. Telling a new story? Miss.

Star Trek? Again, good management of the core of the ST vibe, great casting, but the story? Time travel what? Kahn huh?

Even his TV stuff collapsed under its own weight (Fringe, Alias, Lost)

I think he was the right guy to get things started, but I'm glad they arent sticking with him.

I'd agree with most of that but Fringe did not collapse under its own weight, it got better with every season.

Two complaints.

Kylo Ren completely miscast. I thought I was looking at the love child of Napoleon Dynamite and the Mother F'r from kick .

Solo going out in the least heroic way possible. Cmon.

Other than that I enjoyed it.

I have to disagree with you about Solo. It was the perfect way to close out his story. Think about the Han we met in IV. He's a cocky space pirate who doesn't care about anyone but himself. Shoot first (FIRST, GEORGE!!!) ask questions later kind of guy. Then he sees some mess. He suddenly gets sucked up in this intergalactic war, helps save a princess and sees the aww inspiring power of the force (which he originally thought was hoackum). Think about the iconic scene in ESB, when he is being put into carbonite. Leia tells him she loves him, his response "I know". Over the next 30+ years he learns to care about something other than himself and money. He learns to love his wife, and he learns to love his son. The shot when he goes after Kylo, you see the look on his face. He knows he could walk away, it would be easy actually. But he promised Leia he would try to save their son. He did try, and it cost him his life. But again, this was a different Han.

Some might argue trying to save ones son from the dark side is pretty heroic, at least in terms of fatherhood.

Killing off main characters is a sign of weak writing. Thats my main problem with it. But when Napoleon Dynamite does it then its even more annoying.

I agree with you though trying to save his son is heroic but it couldve been more dramatic

Some might argue trying to save ones son from the dark side is pretty heroic, at least in terms of fatherhood.

Killing off main characters is a sign of weak writing.

Or a sign that the actor wants nothing to with the franchise and had to be paid a king's ransom to appear AND be promised he was done forever with the character.

Or a sign that the actor wants nothing to with the franchise and had to be paid a king's ransom to appear AND be promised he was done forever with the character.

lol my father actually said the same thing

I know, right? Don't even get me started on Hamlet and Macbeth...

Solo walks out on plank, "hey come back with me"

Napoleon " help me"

Ignites lightsaber. Han falls off plank.

Ill rephrase it for you. If youre going to kill off one of the main characters, at least do it creatively.