• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

On Landis saying Rey is a Mary Sue. One reason why she's better equipped than dad was, is that she's been left to her own devices in a brutal climate of scavengers. Compare that to Luke's cushy blue milked pleasure palace, and you see her upbringing has been EXCELLENT training. Also, the scene where she defends herself and doesn't need Finn's help shows her strength and that she isn't a damsel in distress.

I've got to stop posting in this thread. I'm not here to convince people to love and/or respect this movie.

I love and respect this movie.

These are my responses to responses to my posts. "I agree!" "I disagree!" "Thank you!" "I'm sorry you feel that way!" Cut and paste as you see fit.

He's right and not sexist for pointing this out. But I like her anyway. I mostly wrote him off when he said "nothing you say in the comment section of this post will change my mind at all." lol At least he's aware that he's prejudiced, I guess. :makepoint:

I wouldn't let one character ruin the movie overall for me. Even if she is a main character.

I took his comment about not changing his mind because he is sharing an informed opinion about movie creation. So it was him making it clear you can have the best argument why it doesn't matter, and yet he will still stick to his opinion.

Good point made here about who may have taken Rey to Jakku. I don't really remember the sequence of events or the full details of what happened now...was the scene pictured below the first time Rey encountered BB-8? And didn't she approach this guy with her spear drawn in an offensive position? I didn't get any sense that she recognized this guy when I saw the scene, but I don't entirely remember now. And I wasn't sure why he gave up the droid so easily to her as I watched the scene. His dress does exactly parallel Rey's own dress when they first showed her, but maybe everyone on Jakku dresses like that to stay protected from the sand.

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/future-star-wars-plots-set-up-by-the-force-awakens

The movie heavily implies that Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker. So instead of father fighting son, we’ve got cousins battling it out…they just don’t know it yet. If Rey’s daydream of the Jedi Temple is a memory, she might have been present when Ben turned on her father. Someone then took her to that desert planet…but why there? Is Rey’s past tied to the Battle of Jakku?

If you notice in the Force vision, the person holding Rey’s arm as she begs not to be left behind looks like the Scrap Buyer that trades parts for food. Perhaps his motives for both acquiring the Falcon and removing BB-8 from Rey’s possession were more altruistic than they first appear. If she was left in his keeping, it would be in his interest to keep her on planet but with a “getaway” vehicle.

reybb8.jpg

I need to see the starmap and the long shot of that last planet again. My first thought when I saw the planet is that it was Earth; certainly it had the same cloud and ocean configuration. I couldn't tell if there were any continents fully visible to confirm or rule it out though. The other thing that made me think it was that someone in the Resistance mentioned that the star system wasn't in any known system...presumably because it was in a galaxy "far, far away." The scene also showed no significant signs of technology other than constructed steps leading up to where Luke was, which would have been consistent with Earth's technology "a long time ago" as referenced in the original film's first frame shown below. It's always iffy to assume everyone in the galaxy looks exactly like Earth's humans, so the idea of Abrams suggesting a panspermia origin to life on Earth--or possibly the reverse, that the humans in the Star Wars galaxy descended from Earth--could have been his attempt to suggest why the characters of Star Wars are humanoid like us.

A quick look at either the star map BB-8 had or a still of the planet as Rey approached it should confirm or deny the idea of it being Earth...if anyone finds a shot of either out there, please share it, I couldn't find an image of either via Google search.

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

+1

As a casual Star Wars fan, I've always wondered if this takes place "a long time ago", would it eventually lead to Earth?

Would this all lead the origin of humans on Earth?

Have any of the extended universe touched on this?

Good point made here about who may have taken Rey to Jakku. I don't really remember the sequence of events or the full details of what happened now...was the scene pictured below the first time Rey encountered BB-8? And didn't she approach this guy with her spear drawn in an offensive position? I didn't get any sense that she recognized this guy when I saw the scene, but I don't entirely remember now. And I wasn't sure why he gave up the droid so easily to her as I watched the scene. His dress does exactly parallel Rey's own dress when they first showed her, but maybe everyone on Jakku dresses like that to stay protected from the sand.

The movie heavily implies that Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker. So instead of father fighting son, we’ve got cousins battling it out…they just don’t know it yet. If Rey’s daydream of the Jedi Temple is a memory, she might have been present when Ben turned on her father. Someone then took her to that desert planet…but why there? Is Rey’s past tied to the Battle of Jakku?

If you notice in the Force vision, the person holding Rey’s arm as she begs not to be left behind looks like the Scrap Buyer that trades parts for food. Perhaps his motives for both acquiring the Falcon and removing BB-8 from Rey’s possession were more altruistic than they first appear. If she was left in his keeping, it would be in his interest to keep her on planet but with a “getaway” vehicle.

reybb8.jpg

And as a little girl, Rey screams " Come back! " Then a voice tells her " Quite girl " and it does sound the same as the junker that trades food for parts.Then we see a shuttle take off behind the grown up Rey. The shuttle looks the same as the ones the First Order use to land their troops.

I need to see the starmap and the long shot of that last planet again. My first thought when I saw the planet is that it was Earth; certainly it had the same cloud and ocean configuration. I couldn't tell if there were any continents fully visible to confirm or rule it out though. The other thing that made me think it was that someone in the Resistance mentioned that the star system wasn't in any known system...presumably because it was in a galaxy "far, far away." The scene also showed no significant signs of technology other than constructed steps leading up to where Luke was, which would have been consistent with Earth's technology "a long time ago" as referenced in the original film's first frame shown below. It's always iffy to assume everyone in the galaxy looks exactly like Earth's humans, so the idea of Abrams suggesting a panspermia origin to life on Earth--or possibly the reverse, that the humans in the Star Wars galaxy descended from Earth--could have been his attempt to suggest why the characters of Star Wars are humanoid like us.

A quick look at either the star map BB-8 had or a still of the planet as Rey approached it should confirm or deny the idea of it being Earth...if anyone finds a shot of either out there, please share it, I couldn't find an image of either via Google search.

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

+1

As a casual Star Wars fan, I've always wondered if this takes place "a long time ago", would it eventually lead to Earth?

The primary problem with this is that if the ships in Star Wars only travel at the speed of light, the travel time between galaxies and from the edges of our own galaxy to Earth would take thousands of years even at 186,000 miles per second. So Rey piloting the Millennium Falcon to Earth would mean they're actually travelling at many multiples of the speed of light which seems far-fetched. But the area they were mapping was unexplored...exactly how far away was it? Seems like it would have been too far away for Rey to get there in any short amount of time under any circumstance. (shrug)

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

+1

No, nothing even really substantial in works that even used to be canon. Star Tours references and oddball mentions in other media and such.

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

+1

The primary problem with this is that if the ships in Star Wars only travel at the speed of light, the travel time between galaxies and from the edges of our own galaxy to Earth would take thousands of years even at 186,000 miles per second. So Rey piloting the Millennium Falcon to Earth would mean they're actually travelling at many multiples of the speed of light which seems far-fetched. But the area they were mapping was unexplored...exactly how far away was it? Seems like it would have been too far away for Rey to get there in any short amount of time under any circumstance. (shrug)

Star Wars ships travel through 'hyperspace', which allows them some manner of instantaneous jumps through real space.

If they were limited to lightspeed, the whole saga would have to take place around a single star.

By the way I'd hate for them to link Star Wars to planet Earth. Yuck :sick:

And as a little girl, Rey screams " Come back! " Then a voice tells her " Quite girl " and it does sound the same as the junker that trades food for parts.Then we see a shuttle take off behind the grown up Rey. The shuttle looks the same as the ones the First Order use to land their troops.

The Junker AKA Simon Pegg (or Unkar Plutt). I reckon there's a good chance Kylo dumped her there. He killed all the Jedi students, but wasn't quite 'turned' enough to slaughter his own little cousin, so he took her to some backwater and abandoned her there. That would make sense.

Star Wars ships travel through 'hyperspace', which allows them some manner of instantaneous jumps through real space.

If they were limited to lightspeed, the whole saga would have to take place around a single star.

By the way I'd hate for them to link Star Wars to planet Earth. Yuck :sick:

Han Solo interchangeably referred to hyperspace and a "jump to light speed" in the original films. And once Vader told an admiral he had "dropped out of light speed too soon." Did Lucas keep his travel technology straight? I'm not sure. (shrug) Maybe we should just forget the times characters referred to light speed in the original movies and assume they're using space-folding technologies or wormholes to jump to almost anywhere...Rey getting to Luke's planet and being the same age only seems to make sense if we assume they can jump indirectly from a point in space to another point in space.

Now that I think about this in depth I forget how they referred to their long-distance travel in "Force Awakens." Anyone remember?

The Junker AKA Simon Pegg (or Unkar Plutt). I reckon there's a good chance Kylo dumped her there. He killed all the Jedi students, but wasn't quite 'turned' enough to slaughter his own little cousin, so he took her to some backwater and abandoned her there. That would make sense.

When I watched the flashback I was also under the impression that Kylo took her, but I'm not at all sure of it now. And I also assumed at the time he left her alive because he knew her. But if he took her, why drop her off somewhere? That doesn't make sense...you'd think he'd keep her and train her as a Sith as he offered to do during their battle. So I'm thinking now it wasn't him who took her.

When I watched the flashback I was also under the impression that Kylo took her, but I'm not at all sure of it now.

I definitely need to go see it again and pay close attention to that vision sequence!

One thing to keep in mind is that since Rey was a small girl when Kylo slaughtered Luke's padewans, there's no way they're twins as some people on the web have hypothesized. Kylo is at least 10 to 15 years older depending upon how old he was at the time of that battle.

When Rey landed on the planet that Leia was on, she greeted her warmly with a hug. Why? How did Leia even know who she was, or more importantly, why did Rey know Leia? I assume Leia realizes this is her niece--although I'm not quite sure how since she wouldn't have seen her since she was a small girl--but why would Rey not ask "who are you?" ??? Was this some kind of Force thing where they immediately know each other by using their "Force powers"? :eek: If so...seems kinda lame.

I definitely need to go see it again and pay close attention to that vision sequence!

Some people are comparing that sequence to Luke's sequence in the cave facing Vader, but they seem very different. That sequence with Luke and Vader never actually happened, but in this case it seemed that the saber triggered a specific memory in Rey that actually did happen that she was present to witness. It's more of a sudden remembrance from early childhood than an illusionary vision.

FYI on Luke's location--it was filmed on Skellig Michael, an island off the coast of Ireland. Apparently the stone steps and structures there are from a Christian monastery established there and used at some point between 500 to 700 AD and eventually abandoned in the late 1100's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael

4835140249_9dbff42233_b.jpg

FYI on Luke's location--it was filmed on Skellig Michael, and island off the coast of Ireland. Apparently the stone steps and structures there are from a Christian monastery established there and used at some point between 500 to 700 AD and eventually abandoned in the late 1100's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael

4835140249_9dbff42233_b.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Going again tonight with my wife and son. See how they like it, plus my thoughts after the second time around.