• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Anyone know of any "sites" that have a booteg stream yet? Really want to see it but with the 2 kids ill never make it to a theater.

While we are at it…anyone know where I could score some Coke?

The drink…not the drugs…that would be wrong...

If Snoke is Darth Plaguies that would break the rule of two. Not saying it isn't true but that would mean there was 3 at a time (Plaguies, Sideous and Vader).

Palpatine thought Plagueis was dead.

Remember Plagueis supposedly knows how to cheat death.

It's certainly possible.

It does seem like a logic bend of the statement in Episode III

"Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself."

―Palpatine, to Anakin Skywalker

but maybe Plagueis never revealed just how far he could go with this use of the force to create life? Maybe he could raise himself from the dead? It still makes me wonder how he could wield the force from the afterlife (dont think we've ever seen that)...

still seems like the most likely connection, and lord knows they are trying to connect everything in these movies!

Anyone know of any "sites" that have a booteg stream yet? Really want to see it but with the 2 kids ill never make it to a theater.

I've got some of these on the shelf, want one?

coca-cola-hk-2005-starwars.jpg

I've got some of these on the shelf, want one?

coca-cola-hk-2005-starwars.jpg

Episode III? That was like 4 movies ago! Man, those are old and expired...

The map is a map of Jedi temples, including where the first Jedi temple is. The Map wasnt to Luke, it was where the first temple was, which is where Luke was.

Need to watch the movie again to catch all the points. I thought all I heard Han say was that Luke was trying to find the first Jedi temple, not that he had found it. I can understand Luke making the map to all the planets he had visited in his search for this temple, but still trying to wrap my head around why he would go to this much trouble, AND split it in two. He may have left Von Sydow on the planet with Rey and the bit-map (maybe to be given to her when she grew up?). This happened probably at least 10-15 years before the movie opens. Luke may have recovered his blue saber himself and gave it to Maz Kanata for safekeeping to give to Rey ala Obi-Wan. Lots of Jedi voodoo going on here! I love a mystery. :)

Well I didn't realize you could make a somewhat entertaining movie with no plot. But then I realized most movies I have watched are like that.

This was no exception.

Here's hoping there are no budget restraints and we can actually SEE what a Jedi/Dark side mind battle looks like, why Jacen, I mean Ben, is carrying around Vader's helmet and how he got. And why and how the First Order.

Visually it was ok, the action was good, the Falcon was weak as were running into Chewie and Han. And finally finding Skywalker....that could have been left to the second movie.

Star Wars has a formula, its ok to have left finding Skywalker till the next movie because we all know that this installment will be 3 movies long....

Someone mentioned earlier that it was a bad move for Ren to remove his helmet earlier to Rey instead of later, to Han.

I disagree. It was brilliant. It humanized "the creature behind the mask" and disarmed him all at once. You could see it in Rey's eyes. "This kid? Forgettaboutit." So that when we see him with Han, we know who he is- a petulant man child screaming that he is TOO an adult.

I'm calling it- Abrams is commenting on millennials. (Too far?)

Abrams is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with some fans. Do something similar? Retread. Do something different? Not in canon. Cater to >30 crowd, cheap fan service. Cater to <30 crowd, tween pandering. I loved this movie. It is now my fourth favorite Star Wars movie. It's really great. Love the new characters, love the humor, love Han's final chapter, love Luke Skywalker, love that episode VII was really all about him, even by his absence, and can't wait till ep VIII.

Thank you, JJ.

Signed,

an eleven year old in 1983

after the prequel failures in casting (both Anakins) and then failing to get good performances out of that cast (Portman, McGregor and Jackson) at least it JJ and company seemed to hit on most of the casting. John Boyega had some overacting in there, but he was good most of the time. Daisy Ridley was great, and what little we got of Oscar Isaacs was also very good. Adam Driver pulled off petulant as only Hayden Christiansen WISHED he could have.

if there was a thoroughly weak performance it was Carrie Fisher, and she's never been great...

Me and the wife saw it yesterday, I loved it. I let out a huge gasp and was choked up when Han died, I did not know before hand that was going to happen. I have avoided all spoilers for this film because I want it to be like it was when I saw the originals back in the day before internet spoilers.

I'd say this movie moves up to number 3 as my all time favorite Star Wars list.

If Snoke is Darth Plaguies that would break the rule of two. Not saying it isn't true but that would mean there was 3 at a time (Plaguies, Sideous and Vader).

Palpatine thought Plagueis was dead.

Remember Plagueis supposedly knows how to cheat death.

I know that because he supposedly killed him.

I never said he didn't I was just commenting that it breaks the rule of two which is actually funny because Plaguies disagreed with the rule.

I know I cant decide if this one was better than RotJ or not... it's close.

RotJ had some great highs, but also those stupid Ewoks.

Hard for me to rank the movies as there is something I am drawn too in each of them. This movie though I thought was the first since ESB to get something more from the actors.

Regarding the Rule of Two, that doesn't seem to be a very solid rule, and if it is, it seems to be something that's as flexible as it needs to be, even if discounting the now non-canon EU, and just going by the films and the animated series'. It's not as if breaking that rule causes and kind automatic or natural punishment/feedback from the Force. It's a human (or alien) rule around a supernatural force. It's a strategy IMHO and strategies have and do change.

Regarding the Sith and the Jedi's exclusivity to the Force, I think it's safe to view both as separate religions or orders around the Force, and not two exclusive conduits of it. I think Yoda's words while training Luke tell us that.

Regarding the nature of Snoke, I don't like being one of those people who say "go read a book" when discussing the films, but in the pretty awful in-canon novel Aftermath that came out a few months ago that takes place in-between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. We are given clues to a cult looking for and procuring Vader's (red) saber and a former Palpatine advisor who speaks of Palpatine looking to/supplying/ some force of power outside of the known galaxy, and thinking that's where the future and a source of powers was (to people who read the now non-canon Zahn novels, it's somewhat similar to Palpatine sending Thrawn out to explore and conquer the unknown regions). I think some of our answers regarding origins of a new threat are coming from out there.

Spoiler for that novel I guess:

At the end of that novel a respected Imperial Fleet Admiral leaves known space taking the lone Imperial Superstar Destroyer and his fleet with him.

Quick question for the gurus: so the new bad guys are not Sith ? I thought only Sith and Jedi had the rundown on the Force.

Also, why do the bad guys keep building Death Stars with a single point of failure ? :facepalm: I'd like to see them win for a change.

We don't really know what they are yet. Snoke is believed to not be Sith, but next to nothing is known about him (not even sure it is a him) yet. Kylo MIGHT be Sith but he is most defiantly not a Sith Lord yet. The Superweapon in TFA did not have a singular failure point. It had a regulator needed for channeling and holding the Sun's energy before firing it. When the regulator was destroyed (that's what Han blew up, not a shield generator, Phasma took the shields down) the energy from the Sun could not be contained and blew the planet up. This is different from the Death Star where firing a single torpedo into an exhaust shaft blew up the whole thing. Interestingly, several people I have been talking with have discussed that the design of their Superweapon is similar in design to a Jedi lightsaber (in that the regulator allows the Kyber Crystal to turn into a light saber) and are wondering if they are going to go in that direction.

Very good points Jay.

Gotham Kid, lots of species in the Star Wars world are force sensitive they just may not be Jedi or Sith. Just like Mas Amedda Maz Kanata, the one who wanted Rey to have the saber, mentioned she was Force sensitive but she was a good person. Snoke may have knowledge of the Force and a Force sensitive but he may only be using it for Evil.

Mas Amedda is not in the film. Maz Kanata.

That's who I meant. My bad. I got the names mixed up. :doh:

No worries, points for knowing Mas Amedda. :banana:

Someone mentioned earlier that it was a bad move for Ren to remove his helmet earlier to Rey instead of later, to Han.

I disagree. It was brilliant. It humanized "the creature behind the mask" and disarmed him all at once. You could see it in Rey's eyes. "This kid? Forgettaboutit." So that when we see him with Han, we know who he is- a petulant man child screaming that he is TOO an adult.

Abrams is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with some fans. Do something similar? Retread. Do something different? Not in canon. Cater to >30 crowd, cheap fan service. Cater to <30 crowd, tween pandering. I loved this movie. It is now my fourth favorite Star Wars movie. It's really great. Love the new characters, love the humor, love Han's final chapter, love Luke Skywalker, love that episode VII was really all about him, even by his absence, and can't wait till ep VIII.

Thank you, JJ.

Signed,

I knew going in that this present and any future SW movie has 0% chance of living up to the magic of the holy trinity, but I agree with movie is for sure the 4th best which alone is a thumbs up to JJ.

He and Disney has to take the SW movie franchise and put it back on the train tracks so to speak after LucasFilm derailed it.

I think 90% of the movie goers that saw this movie loved it and 10% didn't. JJ and his crew were faced with a gigantic task of making a movie that is bigger than life and IMO they hit it out of the park.

The force is bright yet again for many years to come. :whee:

signed a 6 year old boy who watched SW movies on VHS!

Either way your decision makes one thing perfectly clear.

This movie lived up to the hype!

So for those complaining about Poe not being in the movie long enough, Oscar Isaac confirmed that originally JJ Abrams told him that poe was supposed to die in the first 20 minutes. They changed it later, and added him back in.

Exactly, it is the ewoks that kill ROTJ for me.

Thank you, JJ.

Signed,

Great post, and it sums up my feelings as well.

Thank you, JJ.

Signed,

Great post, and it sums up my feelings as well.

I enjoyed this movie. Every minute of it. Let's face it, there will never be the perfect Star Wars movie. But this one was pretty good IMO.