• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Snoke is a terrible name for a character.

I agree with that. It jarred when I first heard it. I tried rolling it around in my head, but concluded that it just sounded like the name of a furry sidekick. Like Snarf, or the Gronk. No gravitas.

Or Jar Jar.

:eek:

Again, WHY? Why drop her off at a hostile desert to fend for herself while Leia hangs out running the Resistance and Han is busy being a pirate? The fact that Ben turned is not enough to explain it. It DOES make sense why Luke would push her away.

That would be awful parenting if Han and Leia did this to her. Especially when they could have given her to friends in the Republic instead of dropping her off on an inhospitable planet to fend for herself. Why would Leia of all people do that? Hey, I'm fighting for the people of the galaxy, but I could care less about my own offspring.

She is probably Luke's child or a child Luke was training in the force. Regardless, it was still an awful thing for someone to do to a child. Even Luke would have friends in the Republic that could have taken care of her. That alone makes me believe there has to be some other explanation.

Why assume that Luke had any choice about what Rey's fate would be? Kylo Ren was there to destroy all the Jedi, and there's no reason to assume Luke wasn't the primary target he wanted to destroy. I figure Luke hasn't disappeared out of shame but rather is in hiding to avoid the First Order from hunting him down and killing him.

Snoke is believed to not be Sith, but next to nothing is known about him (not even sure it is a him) yet. Kylo MIGHT be Sith but he is most defiantly not a Sith Lord yet.

Given that Kylo's ambition is to become as great a Sith as Darth Vader, why would he pledge allegiance to Snoke or consider him to be his master if Snoke wasn't a Sith? Or why would Snoke consider himself able to train Kylo as a Sith if he, too, wasn't a Sith?

Luke is the last Jedi Master. Jedi do not fear death. Yoda taught that to Luke on Dagobah, he would not hide from the world out of fear of his own death. "Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter."

If Snoke is Darth Plaguies that would break the rule of two. Not saying it isn't true but that would mean there was 3 at a time (Plaguies, Sideous and Vader).

Palpatine thought Plagueis was dead.

Remember Plagueis supposedly knows how to cheat death.

I assume Sidious was Plagueis's padewan and that Sidious killed Plagueis mostly due to the way that Sidious talked about him. The actor doted on Plagueis in that scene where he talked to Anakin about him as if he knew him personally and respected his power.

Luke is the last Jedi Master. Jedi do not fear death. Yoda taught that to Luke on Dagobah, he would not hide from the world out of fear of his own death. "Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter."

As the last Jedi, allowing himself to be killed is to condemn the Jedi to extinction. His fear of death isn't the issue, but him surviving to train more Jedi is. That's also why Yoda fled and hid--Luke is the equivalent in this film to Yoda from Episode III.

I need to see the starmap and the long shot of that last planet again. My first thought when I saw the planet is that it was Earth; certainly it had the same cloud and ocean configuration. I couldn't tell if there were any continents fully visible to confirm or rule it out though. The other thing that made me think it was that someone in the Resistance mentioned that the star system wasn't in any known system...presumably because it was in a galaxy "far, far away." The scene also showed no significant signs of technology other than constructed steps leading up to where Luke was, which would have been consistent with Earth's technology "a long time ago" as referenced in the original film's first frame shown below. It's always iffy to assume everyone in the galaxy looks exactly like Earth's humans, so the idea of Abrams suggesting a panspermia origin to life on Earth--or possibly the reverse, that the humans in the Star Wars galaxy descended from Earth--could have been his attempt to suggest why the characters of Star Wars are humanoid like us.

A quick look at either the star map BB-8 had or a still of the planet as Rey approached it should confirm or deny the idea of it being Earth...if anyone finds a shot of either out there, please share it, I couldn't find an image of either via Google search.

17ffadqjxa3szjpg.jpg

No Yoda ran and hid because Lucas wrote himself into a corner. The original trilogy never made it that Yoda was in hiding, just that he was old. Lucas thought it would be cool to have a Yoda/Palpatine showdown, which it was. The problem is, who wins? If Yoda wins well what happens next? If Palpatine wins, then shouldn't Yoda be dead? So Lucas copped out, and had to figure out a way to remove Yoda and get him to Dagobah.

What are you thinking Luke should have done to continue trying to revive the Jedi after Kylo Ren slaughtered his padewans? Hiding is the only thing that makes sense given the power, size, and influence of the First Order.

WOW!

Star Wars Fans Go Nuts When Force Awakens Projector Malfunctions

A movie theater in Hollywood where the projector malfunctions for Star Wars: The Force Awakens causing the fans to go a tad bit crazy.

That's not all though, as when the theater started the projector back up, they skipped ahead revealing spoilers -- not once but twice!

:ohnoez:

Saw it for the 2nd time today. Enjoyed it even more than the 1st time. This is my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie but I took kids who said it was their new favorite. It felt like hanging out with an old friend for me and seeing the scene where Chewie is having his wound tended to made lol for a 2nd time. This was pure fun imo. I'll be going to see it again in the near future.

Yea I said it earlier, but I enjoyed it more the 2nd time. That is a good sign.

I love how Kylo didn't need his Darth Vader, Jr. helmet like Vader did to keep him alive, but the one time he finally needed it when Rey maimed his face and throat, he had it off for no good reason. :insane: If he had a claymore lightsaber with quillons made of a substance that lightsaber plasma couldn't penetrate, you'd think he'd make his mask of the same lightsaber-impenetrable material...and that he wouldn't take that mask off so darn much. :/

So where was this pre-release scene at in the film? A deleted scene, or just a pure promotional shot? (shrug)

star-wars-7-kylo-ren-unmasked-pic.jpg

That's from the Vanity Fair set visit shoot by Annie Leibovitz.

There are even scenes from trailers not in the film, it's not completely unusual.

Max Landis Didn't Like Star Wars: The Force Awakens 'Rey' Character

Max Landis is currently taking some heat on Twitter for comments about Star Wars: The Force Awakens and now has further clarified himself.

Landis wasn't big on the character of Rey, whom he says is a "Mary Sue," meaning a character written without flaws or one written unrealistically.

What are you thinking Luke should have done to continue trying to revive the Jedi after Kylo Ren slaughtered his padewans? Hiding is the only thing that makes sense given the power, size, and influence of the First Order.

I thought it was pretty clear that Luke had gone in search of ancient Jedi wisdom, since his first attempt at raising a new generation of Jedi failed.

Max Landis Didn't Like Star Wars: The Force Awakens 'Rey' Character

Max Landis is currently taking some heat on Twitter for comments about Star Wars: The Force Awakens and now has further clarified himself.

Landis wasn't big on the character of Rey, whom he says is a "Mary Sue," meaning a character written without flaws or one written unrealistically.

He's right and not sexist for pointing this out. But I like her anyway. I mostly wrote him off when he said "nothing you say in the comment section of this post will change my mind at all." lol At least he's aware that he's prejudiced, I guess. :makepoint:

Agree. He's not been hiding, he's been waiting. When the student is ready, the Master will appear.

Also, on Snoke's name. Every other name in Star Wars is wonky or goofy, and then we get used to saying and hearing it and get over it.

I also disagree with Caira that we are going to get a whole three arc retread. There are already major differences in the first chapter. I see no reason to think these three chapters will be beat for beat.

And on the use of another Death Star- I'm sorry, but this makes me chuckle every time I think about it. For all the fans who hated RoTJ for two reasons, one being the reuse of a Death Star, Abrams just gave you the finger and told you unequivocally that major space assaults on major space weapons is a major Star Wars theme. 3/7 movies and counting, baby! lol