• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this movie. Every minute of it. Let's face it, there will never be the perfect Star Wars movie. But this one was pretty good IMO.

There was not only one perfect Star Wars movie, there were two: Star Wars (I won't call it "A New Hope" by itself...it's "Star Wars", and always will be) and Empire.

This movie was fine, as far as movies and money is concerned, but it fails on several major points. JJ Abrams simply doesn't know how to tell a story the way human beings need stories to be told.

Quick, someone sum up what happened in Alias.

Now do the same thing with Lost.

How's about both Star Treks?

The facts are quite clear: JJ Abrams is excellent...among the best, if not THE best, of his generation...at making excitement and having things blow up.

What he utterly fails in is telling a story from beginning to middle to end.

Also, he doesn't have any clue about how to make people seem real on screen. Tell me why I should give two flat damns about "Kylo Ren"? "Oh, he's Han and Leia's son!" So? It being revealed that he was Han and Leia's son detracted from, not added to, the character.

Steven Spielberg, he isn't, and never will be, sad to say.

Not that there weren't great moments in the film...there were...but it was not even close to being worthy of Star Wars and Empire, which were just about as perfect space operas as it has ever gotten...and Lawrence Kasdan helped write it! Ugh.

There's more, but I'll leave that for now.

I knew going in that this present and any future SW movie has 0% chance of living up to the magic of the holy trinity, but I agree with movie is for sure the 4th best which alone is a thumbs up to JJ.

Abrams could have shot a 5 minute video of his dog dressed as Darth Vader, and it would have been better than the last three.

Not a very high bar to get over, there.

I knew going in that this present and any future SW movie has 0% chance of living up to the magic of the holy trinity, but I agree with movie is for sure the 4th best which alone is a thumbs up to JJ.

Abrams could have shot a 5 minute video of his dog dressed as Darth Vader, and it would have been better than the last three.

Empire can not be beaten in your lifetime.

Episode 7 was clearly the tied for 3rd best SW film of all time.

Franchise is back on the tracks.

Kylo's character was done completely correct.

If only we had Adam Driver in the prequels to play Anakin instead.

I will say this.......why in gods name are they not making a movie with Vader in it.

A movie where he tracks down the Jedi's and kills them makes abolsute sense. (shrug)

Who cares about the young adventures of Han Solo? zzz

Anytime we see a younger version of the character we love (besides the Godfather) it fails on every level possible and sometimes ruins how we feel about the character as a whole.

Rogue 1 better have Darth Vader in it as that wold be a perfect movie to sub him in at.

It will be interesting to see if they develop Kylo Ren's character more in the next movie. But I thought that the focus on Ray and Finn, and their development, was terrific. I think the actors that played them had chemistry, and the hand-off from Han to Ray was excellent.

There will never be another Darth Vader, so all the future villains will not come close to matching him. I do hope they further develop Captain Phasma; they gave her character some reason for vengeance!

I got chills watching Luke turn around. The circle was completed to see Luke as the older teacher. I remember watching when Ben took his hood off and he saw him for the first time. Very similar to me, and that was cool.

PS: Don't tell me it can't be done, that sequels can never be as good, or better than, the originals.

Godfather Part II destroyed that myth.

And The Dark Knight, while it had its flaws, is just as good a Batman film...stupid Christian Bale aside...as Batman.

It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare.

Empire can not be beaten in your lifetime.

...says everyone without vision.

Kylo's character was done completely correct.

Absolutely. Except, of course, when he was onscreen.

PS: Don't tell me it can't be done, that sequels can never be as good, or better than, the originals.

Godfather Part II destroyed that myth.

And The Dark Knight, while it had its flaws, is just as good a Batman film...stupid Christian Bale aside...as Batman.

It CAN be done, and it HAS been done. But it is very rare, and takes a tremendous amount of talent AND energy AND ability...which is why it's very rare.

Stop taking the outliers and making them a norm.

Nothing ever in the next million years of SW movie making can beat Empire Strikes Back yet alone the original trilogy as a whole.

It won't and will never happen. So get over it and just enjoy episode VII which was a really good SW movie.

I have a feeling that we are going to go on a full circle arc once again. Case in point, how was it that Ray knew how to harness the force and when Kylo Ren tells her she needs a teacher. I wonder what the connection between the two is - remember that he couldn't get inside her head but she could get inside his. Could he be her father? Maybe not old enough to be but there is a connection. What are your thoughts?

I have a feeling that we are going to go on a full circle arc once again. Case in point, how was it that Ray knew how to harness the force and when Kylo Ren tells her she needs a teacher. I wonder what the connection between the two is - remember that he couldn't get inside her head but she could get inside his. Could he be her father? Maybe not old enough to be but there is a connection. What are your thoughts?

?

Might be misreading your question and who you mean. Do you mean Kylo and Rey?

Thought it was pretty clear, or at least they want us to very much believe, they are cousins.

I know nothing about any story lines, these are my assumptions about what's to come.

It's another "Jedi Cycle".

Notice that Kylo Ren does not have the title "Darth". He's not a Sith, yet. We are going to see his transformation in the next film. Supreme Chancellor Snoke is his Alias....as Chancellor Palpatine was really Darth Sidious, Snoke will be revealed as another Darth, a Sith Lord...probably Plagueis, he will replace Ren's wounded limbs, and give him a suit of some kind (ala Vader) and bestow upon him his Sith name.

Luke will be the Obi Wan Jedi Master to Rey's Luke Apprentice, teaching her in the ways of the force and setting up a confrontation between Ren and Luke in the next film where Luke is "killed" like Obi-Wan was....old apprentice vs old master.

Somewhere along the line the familial relationship between Ren and Rey is revealed and Rey seeks out to bring Ren back to the light.

That sets up the final film in the trilogy, where Rey eventually helps Ren back to the light side....Ren destroys Snoke/Plagueis in the process, being mortally wounded but redeemed.

Oh....and two more planet killing Death Starkiller Murder Super Weapons are destroyed by their one fatal flaw in the process.

Saw it this morning at 10am. Theater was packed -- this movie is going to make a gazillion dollars.

As for the movie...I have mixed feelings right now. Everything seemed so convenient, no clear reasons why Ben Solo hates his parents so much. I guess we can wait a few years for more backstory but that is never a great way to introduce characters IMO. It did feel like Abrams was lacking in originality with many of the scenes and themes being plucked directly from A New Hope. If it's not broke don't fix it I guess.

I think many fans will be pleased with this film and the pacing and acting were on point compared to the bad taste the prequels left everyone with. But I do give Lucas a little more credit now in trying to craft a different story with episodes 1,2 and 3. I feel anyone could have came up with the cookie cutter film Disney just presented us.

8 out of 10

This is probably the most accurate statement of the thread. Except for the 8/10 part, maybe 2 out of ten as Rey and Finn were good characters. There are two Star Wars movies that I would never watch again, AOTC and this one.

This had absolutely no heart, I knew I was in trouble when Han died and I wasn't crying like a baby. I mean my favourite fictional character of all time died, and I didn't even blink, cause it wasn't real Star Wars.

A third Death Star...really? People who pick up a lightsaber for the first time can wield it like a master swordsman...really? A lost droid on a sand planet carrying a message/map...really? Han has to travel to a planet and enter the bunker and blow it up with charges to disable the shields again....really? I already know how #9 ends, with Rey saving her brother from the dark side.

Predictable horse AND dog excrement, cuz it really is both.

I wouldn't call it The Force Awakens...more like Star Wars: The Parody

Jim

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Jim :(

I have things i didn't like about it but i still enjoyed it. Hopefully you give it a second chance because it'll suck for you to go on hating SW with all the new movies coming out. But hey you might enjoy the anthology movies more.

So true.

The future still looks bright for all that's coming, even for those that didn't like this film.

I personally can't wait for Rian Johnson's take on the next one. Absolutely loved his films Brick and Looper.

I hope they get whoever wrote the scripts for those two movies.

I really enjoyed the movie. No doubt about it. Had a great time.

But... while I appreciate all the homage factors that went into the movie, the biggest being the exact same "format" as SW IV, I really felt there needed to be a major moment to stray from the format to give viewers/fans something new.

The most telling moment for me was when the movie ended there was no applause, also when H died I didn't notice any noise/sobs/groans in the audience. And I was in a packed audience. My audience was completely unaffected by the movie and that's pretty sad.

Again, I really enjoyed myself, but I'm only going to give it 3.5/5

This was the same in the movie theater I was in tonight.

I got the impression that somebody at Disney came up with the last scene first and then decided to write the whole movie around it.

Saw it this morning at 10am. Theater was packed -- this movie is going to make a gazillion dollars.

As for the movie...I have mixed feelings right now. Everything seemed so convenient, no clear reasons why Ben Solo hates his parents so much. I guess we can wait a few years for more backstory but that is never a great way to introduce characters IMO. It did feel like Abrams was lacking in originality with many of the scenes and themes being plucked directly from A New Hope. If it's not broke don't fix it I guess.

I think many fans will be pleased with this film and the pacing and acting were on point compared to the bad taste the prequels left everyone with. But I do give Lucas a little more credit now in trying to craft a different story with episodes 1,2 and 3. I feel anyone could have came up with the cookie cutter film Disney just presented us.

8 out of 10

This is probably the most accurate statement of the thread. Except for the 8/10 part, maybe 2 out of ten as Rey and Finn were good characters. There are two Star Wars movies that I would never watch again, AOTC and this one.

This had absolutely no heart, I knew I was in trouble when Han died and I wasn't crying like a baby. I mean my favourite fictional character of all time died, and I didn't even blink, cause it wasn't real Star Wars.

A third Death Star...really? People who pick up a lightsaber for the first time can wield it like a master swordsman...really? A lost droid on a sand planet carrying a message/map...really? Han has to travel to a planet and enter the bunker and blow it up with charges to disable the shields again....really? I already know how #9 ends, with Rey saving her brother from the dark side.

Predictable horse AND dog excrement, cuz it really is both.

I wouldn't call it The Force Awakens...more like Star Wars: The Parody

Jim

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Jim :(

I have things i didn't like about it but i still enjoyed it. Hopefully you give it a second chance because it'll suck for you to go on hating SW with all the new movies coming out. But hey you might enjoy the anthology movies more.

So true.

The future still looks bright for all that's coming, even for those that didn't like this film.

I personally can't wait for Rian Johnson's take on the next one. Absolutely loved his films Brick and Looper.

I hope they get whoever wrote the scripts for those two movies.

Johnson wrote and directed both.