• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

lol I loved it. I like that there are questions left unresolved. Isn't that the point of a trilogy? I remember watching Empire and wondering why they didn't use those awesome bounty hunters more, and wondering exactly how Lando lost the Falcon to Han. We never saw IG-88 use a blaster and we never knew who Lobot really was either. And that's OK.

I am thankful that the CGI was far more limited in this movie. The director and writers I think actually listened to fans on that point. The new actors are exciting because the director allowed them to be free and we can see their emotions.

Yes some of the story was similar, but my ten year old and myself enjoyed it a lot. I don't know many movies that can accomplish that. (thumbs u

As much as I loved the film, was emotionally moved to holding back tears several times throughout and will be back at least a few more times to see it in the theater...this guy makes some very solid points about everything :

https://www.facebook.com/notes/michael-french/solid-characters-hollow-world-the-force-awakens/10153165047531945

Think it's longwinded and functions only in collecting all the basic points many are saying (which it does well), but still a bit too one sided too me. One can't blame Abrams for elements they don't like and then not give him credit for ones we do like. One shouldn't underestimate the odd hate many Trek fans have for Abrams for making their dead property relevant and it clouds what they think of him.

For instance:

Abrams has final world on casting. That cast people seem to like? He and his casting director picked them.

Those mostly new (they have all worked, some more than others, and well) face performed very well on the big stage. He directed them. The move was going to bank regardless, but all the new actors are meeting near universal approval and acclaim.

He shot the mess out of this film. It looks beautiful, and he's not doing (relatively, this is not an art house film) cookie cutter pov choices and shots. Do we remember the green screens of death the prequels were?

Does the story have holes? I think people forget how pulpy and ridiculous these films always have been (why did the 2nd most powerful military force in the galaxy not just threaten Jabba with bombardment again - instead of that ridiculous rescue plan), and that they were a literal miracle. Did anyone see the prequels? You could have got that again. Also, as an aside, that whole thing about fans forgetting how ridiculous their beloved property is? Triple for Trek fans. They take that original series as if it was serious hard science fiction. Let me tell you, if you want hard science fiction, try to read Greg Egan - they are books only engineers love. Trek is goofy. It's the first thing I think when I pass it up on tv. A lot of us view things we love as if they are serious. Guys, it people fighting with glow sticks.

A Harrison Ford sighting! This dude has been mailing it in for basically decades. Did you see what we saw? Han freaking SOLO. We can talk about the money all we want, and he's getting a grip, but Ford has taken checks and stunk up joints for years now. He brought it IMHO and that speaks to direction and his desire to be in the film. Ford was wonderful in this movie.

I just have a hard time trying to act like this is a film that's supposed to be comparable to the boring slog that make up most reward seasons. You know, the superbly shot, layered themes, single location, nonsense about the day in the life of somebody in some mundane town. This is a crowd pleaser. People are supposed to want to watch it. By all metrics it's doing that.

Also, the unresolved questions? We live in an episodic world that enjoys shared universes. This is the first in a trilogy. I hope nobody was pissed of after reading A Game of Thrones, because nothing is resolved in that. Still... pretty good and worthwhile story to say the least. A New Hope had an ending because they didn't REALLY know there was going to be a sequel. We don't live in that world anymore. We live in a world that understands, spoiler, they don't get to Mordor in Fellowship of the Ring.

Is this a masterpiece? Nope. But's its a damn fine time at the movies, I saw kids excited and grown men crying in the same theater. I see girls, young girls, excited about Star Wars, in ways they don't seems to be when they go to Transformers, Trek, or G.I. Joe.

What with little doubt is going to be in the top 4 grossing films of all time, an action film, stars a girl and a black dude. We all know how backwards many quadrants of this country are - couldn't stop Star Wars.

I like the film, but I could have liked this film in many ways and interpretations. I liked that they picked this one, even if it's my Star Wars for a new generation. Instead of holding on to mine, I don't know, I'm kind of glad to look at my god daughter and now be able to call it ours now.

That's the part I love.

Excellent and well said. Great post.

Does the story have holes? I think people forget how pulpy and ridiculous these films always have been

I just watched A New Hope yesterday.

C3P0 and R2D2 use an escape pod and the Empire doesn't fire at it... because there are no life signs aboard?

They're looking for stolen Death Star plans.

Destroy that escape pod and the trilogy is over.

With the opening scroll and the credits, it would be probably something like 11 minutes and 38 seconds. lol

Hasnt he signed on to do a new Indiana Jones movie? Why do that?

Because he likes Indiana Jones.

He hates Han Solo.

Thats a lie!

I think it a reasonably well known that he wanted to be killed off in ROTJ but Lucas wouldn't let it happen. The ONLY way he came back for this was if they agreed to kill him off. It's what he wanted for the character. Had nothing to do with good or bad writing

Yea Ive heard it too. Im joking around with RMA.

As far as the writing is concerned, again, I think it could've been done better.

It could have been done substantially better, and they only had 32 years to do it, but it wasn't in Abrams to do it.

:(

A Harrison Ford sighting! This dude has been mailing it in for basically decades. Did you see what we saw? Han freaking SOLO. We can talk about the money all we want, and he's getting a grip, but Ford has taken checks and stunk up joints for years now. He brought it IMHO and that speaks to direction and his desire to be in the film. Ford was wonderful in this movie.

Harrison Ford absolutely killed it. I felt bad for Carrie Fisher in their intimate scenes together. He absolutely blew her out of the water.

I still think that people need to be more patient with this TRILOGY. This was Disney re-setting the table. Get the old fans back into it make them feel comfortable. If they had strayed too far from the original stories, look, etc, fans would have been ticked. So they took the safe route, but planted the seeds needed to hopeful bring something more fresh and original to the next installment.

They also revealed less than we were led to believe would be in this first film. I honestly thought that Rey and Finn's names and history would have been shown (at least a little more) in this movie. I thought we would be shown a little more about the rise of the First Order, or how Luke's original saber was found. We did not get that, and I expect it will make for better plots in the coming installments. But it would have been great to have some of that here.

It was a very safe competent installment, not the best but very enjoyable. Everyone also needs to remember that this is the only Abrams episode. I expect the other directors will bring some very different elements. Most of the creators attached to Star Wars are very good.

Carrie Fisher was painful to watch.

Im betting (hopeing) she continues to take a back seat to the new cast.

Next movie she'll have the mandatory scene between her and Luck (assuming he rejoins them in some way), and at some point she might face Ren, but beyond that I'd keep her acting responsibilities to a minimum and focus on the new cast.

Lets be honest Carrie was always the weakest of the main three. Ford was always the best. Mark has things he does very well like the Joker for BTAS, and even Luke at times, but is not in the same league as Ford.

Im betting (hopeing) she continues to take a back seat to the new cast.

Next movie she'll have the mandatory scene between her and Luck (assuming he rejoins them in some way), and at some point she might face Ren, but beyond that I'd keep her acting responsibilities to a minimum and focus on the new cast.

I was hoping that the planet she was on would get blown up.

Starkiller Base is an homage to the original title of Star Wars, Adventures of The Starkiller. Starkiller harvests energy from its system’s star, contains it within magnetic fields inside its base’s planetary core, and then converts that energy into an ultra-powerful beam. It absorbs the sun's top layer of radiation, which it will eventually regenerate.