• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

The good:

1. Harrison Ford: Solo was near perfect. Almost every line was.....just perfect!

2. BB8. BB8 is a smash hit. I was shocked at how much I liked the little droid.

3. Rey. She was a very good actor. Had a great look to her. Felt natural. A great choice to start anew.

4. Chewie. Great job. Very funny! Fun!

The bad.

1. Han died. Didn't like that at all.

2. Snoke. Looked like a weird looking giant. I think he could have been done better. I wish the hologram was done a bit different.

3. Various acting problems throughout

4. Sub-par John Williams score. The weakest of the seven movies

5. No over the top awesome action sequences like the previous movies.

6. Did I mention Han died. Ugh, I think it even made one of my kids sick to his stomach

Still overall thumbs up. (thumbs u

Awesome!!!!

I got completely thrown off by that the trailer quote, "I have it.. my father has it... you have it too." not realizing it was from an older film... and I was waiting for it the whole movie. doh!

I did love the way Rey turned the tables on Ren... "You're afraid you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader."

He had that priceless contorted look of what the heck just happened.

I don't get how people on the internet say she is his cousin... I never went to the bathroom... did I miss something there? I can see how she might be Luke's son, but didn't hear any conformation other than the sabre calling to her. I also liked that surreal scene she had when she first encountered the force and she ran from it.

But I agree with some comments that she came up to speed way too quickly to take out Kylo Ren so easily.

I also see tons of parallels to the original; but see it as a good thing and a homage to the older fans.

Also, a slight twist on the search for Spock, for trek fans....

Thought it was good, but also felt like I was watching Superman Returns. Everything was familiar. Too familiar. Like I saw this movie before.

Rey's transition from no Force to Force-user was way, way to quick. Felt rushed.

At no time during the movie was I surprised.

I hated how Rey and Finn just picked up a lightsaber and were able to stand against Kylo. He might not be a master, but he spent enough time training with Luke to be able to successfully destroy everything Luke built, which I assume means killing the other students. However two people that have never had any force training can put up a fight instead of just being struck down. They spent 6 movies and almost 40 years explaining that you need to be trained in how to use the force, but now we have two people picking up a lightsaber and holding there own against someone who received training from possibly the greatest Jedi of all time.

Well she is "the force awakened" whatever that means. If that doesn't work for you then he was also wounded after Chewy shot him. They made a point to show him bleeding in the snow.

Now you all are in trouble.

Harrison Ford to People Posting Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoilers: STOP THAT!

Han Solo doesn't think you're funny, or clever, or doing anything remotely cool, you Thrawn and Yuuzhan Vong addicts. Your books and comics and video games still exist and you can re-experience them any time you want. So, as Ford said, "Stop that."

:fear:

Now you all are in trouble.

Harrison Ford to People Posting Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoilers: STOP THAT!

Han Solo doesn't think you're funny, or clever, or doing anything remotely cool, you Thrawn and Yuuzhan Vong addicts. Your books and comics and video games still exist and you can re-experience them any time you want. So, as Ford said, "Stop that."

:fear:

If only the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who spoiled it for me 6 hours before i saw it after managing to avoid spoilers all year could have listened. There will always be aholes online who get a kick out of ruining it for other people. The only thing i miss about the pre-internet world :(

Thought it was good, but also felt like I was watching Superman Returns. Everything was familiar. Too familiar. Like I saw this movie before.

Rey's transition from no Force to Force-user was way, way to quick. Felt rushed.

I hated how Rey and Finn just picked up a lightsaber and were able to stand against Kylo. He might not be a master, but he spent enough time training with Luke to be able to successfully destroy everything Luke built, which I assume means killing the other students. However two people that have never had any force training can put up a fight instead of just being struck down. They spent 6 movies and almost 40 years explaining that you need to be trained in how to use the force, but now we have two people picking up a lightsaber and holding there own against someone who received training from possibly the greatest Jedi of all time.

Those 6 movies made it pretty clear that the Skywalker's are intune with the force and do not need training. For instance in (ugh) the phantom menace we see young Anakin using the force while podracing. He had not received any training in it at all at that point. In New Hope Luke receives almost no training (the floating blaster droid is it) before using the force to blow up the death star. Rey likewise (because she is most definitely Luke's daughter) is intune with the force. We see flashes of it, she has precognition (remember the dream Kylo pulls out of him of being in an ocean on an inland, which makes sense in the end since that is where Luke is)

As to Kylo Ren (who was freaking awesome BTW, you have to admit that first scene when he just force stops Po's blaster shot was jaw dropping) he's wild with emotion. Where as Vader turned to the dark side because of his rage, he did not let it control him. Ren on the other hand cannot at all, he is wild with rage all the time. This affects his concentration (which we know is important for control of the force). As to his training, that leads to an interesting question. The movie takes place 40 years after Jedi. At the time there were two Sith (under the rule of two obviously) Palpatine and Vader. Both dead by the end of Jedi. The only living Jedi are Luke and Leia. We know Kylo/Ben is Leia's son so that's where he gets his Jedi from, we assume Rey is Luke's daughter. So who is the Sith lord training Kylo? Well no one. We have to assume that Smoek is not Sith but rather someone who wants to use the Jedi for power (Han says as much). So it wouldn't be too far of a stretch that an untrained, wild with anger Kylo Ren (he looses it when he sees his grandfather's lightsaber) can't defeat Rey. Similarly Finn never holds his ground, he gets a few good shoots in (remember he is a trained stormtrooper from birth) but gets his butt kicked pretty badly)

Now here is where its total speculation. What if Luke had more than one kid, Rey's older brother or sister. Luke was teaching both the older sibling and Ben they ways of the force when Ben turned on them and killed Luke's child. The pain of the loss was too much for him, he abandoned his daughter on Jakku, and went into succlusion, blaming himself for the death of his child. That would explain why he left his light saber in a chest locked away, and when we finally see Luke, why he is standing in front of what looks like a grave marker. The pain of loss was too much and Luke feared his anger would make him give into the Dark side so he walled himself off.

Man, that was AWESOME! Way better than I was expecting.

If you didn't like it then seriously, don't bother watching #8 and #9. You'll never be happy.

This was a Star Wars movie through and through. Very good.

Man, that was AWESOME! Way better than I was expecting.

If you didn't like it then seriously, don't bother watching #8 and #9. You'll never be happy.

This was a Star Wars movie through and through. Very good.

^^

Agreed. My only complaints are nitpicky. Basically, I love Greg Grunberg, and it was a little distracting seeing him in the movie because all I could see was Greg Grunberg. But I still love that JJ put him in there. I'm glad they revisited story lines and plot. It made it consistent with being a Star Wars movie. Inventing new things out of nowhere and going in a different direction is how we got Attack of the Clones.

I thought the EU was showed some love with this movie, albeit a little different.

Warning: EU Spoilers below if you still wish to read the books after RoTJ.

Luke's son in EU - Ben

Han's son in VII - Ben

Chewie dies as a moon crashes on him in the EU

Han dies from Ren and then a planet collapses on him in VII

All in all I think the movie was great and will definitely shatter some records. I personally felt less emotionally attached to some characters because I had already seen them pass on in the book series. Barring that, it was enjoyable and had a lot of good character development in regards to Rey and Ren.

It was definitely sad to see Ren fall like he did but his emotional struggle and devotion to the old ways of the Sith should make for an interesting VIII and outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

The score was a little disappointing. I didn't find it as memorable as the original Williams'.

I'll be returning to the theater no doubt. A solid 4/5 stars, 'worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi order.'

my rationale for Finn was that if you remember when he was battling with the Storm Trooper with the stun rod it seemed like the the Troopers (including him) got some training that would be applicable to the use of a light saber.

Rey? Well I just assumed that was the force, I agree it was a little much to think that she could hold her own against Kylo, but Im fine with suspending my disbelief for the sake of enjoying the movie...

I think they really missed out on Captain Phasma. What could have been an interesting character to delve into, she basically gives up the shields and we have no idea what becomes of her. I would think the " leader" of the storm troopers would of had a bit more resolve. I need to see it again but I think it suffers from years of buildup that no movie could ever live up to. Pretty damn good, but I echo much of the sentiment in the thread.

Those 6 movies made it pretty clear that the Skywalker's are intune with the force and do not need training. For instance in (ugh) the phantom menace we see young Anakin using the force while podracing. He had not received any training in it at all at that point. In New Hope Luke receives almost no training (the floating blaster droid is it) before using the force to blow up the death star. Rey likewise (because she is most definitely Luke's daughter) is intune with the force. We see flashes of it, she has precognition (remember the dream Kylo pulls out of him of being in an ocean on an inland, which makes sense in the end since that is where Luke is)

As to Kylo Ren (who was freaking awesome BTW, you have to admit that first scene when he just force stops Po's blaster shot was jaw dropping) he's wild with emotion. Where as Vader turned to the dark side because of his rage, he did not let it control him. Ren on the other hand cannot at all, he is wild with rage all the time. This affects his concentration (which we know is important for control of the force). As to his training, that leads to an interesting question. The movie takes place 40 years after Jedi. At the time there were two Sith (under the rule of two obviously) Palpatine and Vader. Both dead by the end of Jedi. The only living Jedi are Luke and Leia. We know Kylo/Ben is Leia's son so that's where he gets his Jedi from, we assume Rey is Luke's daughter. So who is the Sith lord training Kylo? Well no one. We have to assume that Smoek is not Sith but rather someone who wants to use the Jedi for power (Han says as much). So it wouldn't be too far of a stretch that an untrained, wild with anger Kylo Ren (he looses it when he sees his grandfather's lightsaber) can't defeat Rey. Similarly Finn never holds his ground, he gets a few good shoots in (remember he is a trained stormtrooper from birth) but gets his butt kicked pretty badly)

Now here is where its total speculation. What if Luke had more than one kid, Rey's older brother or sister. Luke was teaching both the older sibling and Ben they ways of the force when Ben turned on them and killed Luke's child. The pain of the loss was too much for him, he abandoned his daughter on Jakku, and went into succlusion, blaming himself for the death of his child. That would explain why he left his light saber in a chest locked away, and when we finally see Luke, why he is standing in front of what looks like a grave marker. The pain of loss was too much and Luke feared his anger would make him give into the Dark side so he walled himself off.

Jaybuck I couldn't have said it better myself. The part of Rey never having any training and was able to beat Kylo tells me two things.

1. She is very very very powerful maybe even more so than Kylo, due to him not able to control is feelings. He was very conflicted in the movie. He wasn't thinking clearly. Also Snoke wanted him back with Rux to complete his training. Somehow she learned to survive as a girl on a desert planet by herself. So she knows how to take care of herself and her thinking is clearer.

2. Rey maybe the offspring of Luke and not know yet. But if not we learn that she is very in control of her feelings and in tune with the force.

Don't forget there's more movies. And that more will be revealed.

I F'ing loved it so much. Going back tonight to see it in 3D

Some people had a problem with Rey beating Kylo Ren. But honestly I didn't have a problem. He was injured, (more than once) and torn with emotion.

She was already very skilled herself with a staff, and is likely Luke's daughter.

Luke went against Vader, a powerful Jedi with very little training.

The messy fight was a nice change and seemed to make sense to me.

I think they really missed out on Captain Phasma. What could have been an interesting character to delve into, she basically gives up the shields and we have no idea what becomes of her. I would think the " leader" of the storm troopers would of had a bit more resolve.

She's in the next 2 movies, so more will be done with the character.

I think they really missed out on Captain Phasma. What could have been an interesting character to delve into, she basically gives up the shields and we have no idea what becomes of her. I would think the " leader" of the storm troopers would of had a bit more resolve. I need to see it again but I think it suffers from years of buildup that no movie could ever live up to. Pretty damn good, but I echo much of the sentiment in the thread.

The one "complaint" I have with the movie is that Abrams did not do a good enough job of clearly explaining the First Order. From the crawl and hints within the movie it seems that they are a devoted THIRD force in the universe. (Basically we know the Republic still exists and that the Resistance is still fighting them) So the First Order is a small, insurgent military group, fighting BOTH the Resistance and the Republic. Phasma is one of their military leaders. Yes they did kind of write her off. We assume she is dead (since Han/Chewee put her somewhere (hopefully a trash compactor) and then the planet exploded.

Luke was trained a little by Obi-Wan, then self taught himself.He then had training from Yoda, for however long that was. He faced Vader on Cloud City, and was never even in the fight. Vader crushed him without trying.

Kylo is at least as strong as Vader(we can use suspending a blaster bolt as proof, plus his abilities to take info straight from your mind) so, injured or not, should have dispatched both Finn and Rey relatively easily. Her 'awakening' was just too fast. Makes no sense from what we know of the Force.

BTW, I did enjoy the film overall, it's just that there were more "Lucas" moments than I expected.