• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Because only one opinion is allowed here....

The board exists because like-minded people have a passion and love for something. If someone doesn't...why are they here? Specifically, why are they posting in here?

I'm glad the haters are in the very, very, very, VERY small minority on this film. I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet, but I was pretty emotional throughout for reasons even I didn't expect.

I dont mind hearing from all perspectives on the movie, but just wanton hate with no thought behind it doesnt do much good for conversation. If you didnt like it talk about why rather than just comparing it to a range of animal excrement.

Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

I assumed (and lord knows if it will be explained) that Luke himself made the map, had it split in two parts each with conditions for reveal.

We dont know what Poe and BB8 did to get the first part (and remember they thought it was the whole map, no one knew about the rest with R2).

I assume it was Luke's way of saying "Ok R2 when ______ happens you can power back up and reveal your part of the map.

Remember R2 came back to life and revealed his part of the map not when BB8 returned with his part of the map, but when Rey showed up (at least I think that's how I remember it happening).

I dont know if the conditions had to do with Rey growing up, or Rey returning, Rey joining the rebelion, or what the conditions were surrounding the part Poe found, but I assume Luke knew there was a point when he needed to be found and he set it up so when the time came the maps would be revealed.

Was the lightsaber with her when R2D2 powered up? Maybe that was the key to it?

I like that idea too. maybe!

I'm beginning to wonder if Captain Phasma is a defector and secretly a spy. She was willing to drop the shields really quickly.

Leia also came in and new immediately not only that the planet was powering up to fire but also that they were targeting them. It might be easy to figure out that the planet was powering up but why would they assume their base was immediately known? (keep in mind this could just be a plothole).

You know, everyone is saying that Rey is Luke's daughter. hm

Now I want to believe this too... but Luke and Leia were TWINS.

Who's to say that Rey and Ren aren't also twins... Han and Leia's twins hm

So, Rey is a twin they decided to drop off on a desert planet to fend for herself, unlike Ren, and also do not remember? (shrug) There is no chance Rey and Ren are brother and sister.

I really enjoyed the movie. No doubt about it. Had a great time.

But... while I appreciate all the homage factors that went into the movie, the biggest being the exact same "format" as SW IV, I really felt there needed to be a major moment to stray from the format to give viewers/fans something new.

The most telling moment for me was when the movie ended there was no applause, also when H died I didn't notice any noise/sobs/groans in the audience. And I was in a packed audience. My audience was completely unaffected by the movie and that's pretty sad.

Again, I really enjoyed myself, but I'm only going to give it 3.5/5

Again, WHY? Why drop her off at a hostile desert to fend for herself while Leia hangs out running the Resistance and Han is busy being a pirate? The fact that Ben turned is not enough to explain it. It DOES make sense why Luke would push her away.

That would be awful parenting if Han and Leia did this to her. Especially when they could have given her to friends in the Republic instead of dropping her off on an inhospitable planet to fend for herself. Why would Leia of all people do that? Hey, I'm fighting for the people of the galaxy, but I could care less about my own offspring.

She is probably Luke's child or a child Luke was training in the force. Regardless, it was still an awful thing for someone to do to a child. Even Luke would have friends in the Republic that could have taken care of her. That alone makes me believe there has to be some other explanation.

Again, WHY? Why drop her off at a hostile desert to fend for herself while Leia hangs out running the Resistance and Han is busy being a pirate? The fact that Ben turned is not enough to explain it. It DOES make sense why Luke would push her away.

I just think Luke having a kid is kinda lame.

Who did he bang? (shrug)

Mara Jade. GOTTA be, also explains why she is such an accomplished smuggler/techie.

That would be so incredible. I am leaning more towards Rey being a nobody who turns into somebody. And Luke dropped her off at Jakku to protect her from Kylo and the Knights. Maybe Rey was a student of Luke's cause he felt she was a very strong Force sensitive, and to protect her he fled and hid her. I like that better but anyways it goes is fine with me. I can't wait to see it again tonight. :whee:

He couldn't have found a nicer place to hide her? Nice guy...

Who did he bang? (shrug)

Mara Jade. GOTTA be, also explains why she is such an accomplished smuggler/techie.

That would be so incredible. I am leaning more towards Rey being a nobody who turns into somebody. And Luke dropped her off at Jakku to protect her from Kylo and the Knights. Maybe Rey was a student of Luke's cause he felt she was a very strong Force sensitive, and to protect her he fled and hid her. I like that better but anyways it goes is fine with me. I can't wait to see it again tonight. :whee:

Maybe he left her there....with an old guy with a white beard to look out for her. :eek:

Harsh criticism but I can see how the director borrowed/paid tribute to perhaps too many key scenes from episodes 4-6, as people were hungry to see Han Solo, Chewbacca, General/Princess Leia, C3PO, R2 D2 and Luke Skywalker perhaps one last time on the big screen. Keep in mind, half the Star Wars fans in the seats were not even born 32 years ago when Return of the Jedi debuted. :gossip:

I was stunned by how simple and effective the last minute of the Force Awakens was. Instead of filling the scene with glad handing and jubilation, Luke did not speak a word. Great directing and editing. Good Irish scenery too instead of CGI. (thumbs u

I wanted to see the original *together* one last time. We never got that. Leia and Han were estranged. And Luke was nowhere to be found.

It was a good movie, but that was the major lost opportunity.

The only part of this movie that is still bothering me (science and minor plot holes aside) is how they handle the remorse that was shown over Han's death. This was Han Freaking Solo getting his wish at last! Even at the end when Rey sits in the pilot seat of the Falcon Chewie just glances sideways at her as if "what the hell, as long as I have a pilot I'll be OK. ) Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

A map is an interesting choice. Especially when all they needed was coordinates to a planet and a location on the planet.

You know, everyone is saying that Rey is Luke's daughter. hm

Now I want to believe this too... but Luke and Leia were TWINS.

Who's to say that Rey and Ren aren't also twins... Han and Leia's twins hm

So, Rey is a twin they decided to drop off on a desert planet to fend for herself, unlike Ren, and also do not remember? (shrug) There is no chance Rey and Ren are brother and sister.

Well by the end of the first Star Wars after Luke and Leia lip-locked before the light bridge swing... and then in ESB after Leia put another smootch on him right after he recouped from getting molested by the Wampa ... I didn't think there was a chance they were brother and sister either ;)

The map is a map of Jedi temples, including where the first Jedi temple is. The Map wasnt to Luke, it was where the first temple was, which is where Luke was.

I'm going to see the movie again and maybe this will be explained by why a map? Was it a log of Luke's journey? Otherwise, if you are marking off where the temple's are, wouldn't you just show the planets/coordinates of the temples?

Who did he bang? (shrug)

Maybe he left her there....with an old guy with a white beard to look out for her. :eek:

Max Von Sydow's character. He had the last piece of the map, and he and Kylo Ren knew each other from the past.

Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

I assumed (and lord knows if it will be explained) that Luke himself made the map, had it split in two parts each with conditions for reveal.

We dont know what Poe and BB8 did to get the first part (and remember they thought it was the whole map, no one knew about the rest with R2).

I assume it was Luke's way of saying "Ok R2 when ______ happens you can power back up and reveal your part of the map.

Remember R2 came back to life and revealed his part of the map not when BB8 returned with his part of the map, but when Rey showed up (at least I think that's how I remember it happening).

I dont know if the conditions had to do with Rey growing up, or Rey returning, Rey joining the rebelion, or what the conditions were surrounding the part Poe found, but I assume Luke knew there was a point when he needed to be found and he set it up so when the time came the maps would be revealed.

Was the lightsaber with her when R2D2 powered up? Maybe that was the key to it?

That's what I'm thinking, too. It was either the lightsaber or Rey's presence that triggered R2 switching back on. . . it could only be her that came to find him somehow.

Who did he bang? (shrug)

Max Von Sydow's character. He had the last piece of the map, and he and Kylo Ren knew each other from the past.

Which leads credence to the thought that Luke dropped Rey off there. Dropped her off, gave him the map and instructions.

How is this a remake of episode 4 in any way? 2 totally different situations if Rey is Luke's daughter or Ren's sister. Luke/Leia were hidden so their father had no idea they were even born. If Rey is Kylo's sister or even niece he would know about it and is looking for Luke not Rey.

I see why people think Luke dropped her off but to me that makes no sense. He's the most powerful right now and only went into hiding because he was so distraught over the betrayal. Safest place for his own daughter or even his niece is with him. If anything I should think he doesn't even know it is his daughter so that would be kinda like episode 4 and they were hiding her until Luke comes back?

You just know they are having a laugh at this one with everyone trying to figure out wtf's daughter she is lol

Because only one opinion is allowed here....

The board exists because like-minded people have a passion and love for something. If someone doesn't...why are they here? Specifically, why are they posting in here?

I'm glad the haters are in the very, very, very, VERY small minority on this film. I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet, but I was pretty emotional throughout for reasons even I didn't expect.

I dont mind hearing from all perspectives on the movie, but just wanton hate with no thought behind it doesnt do much good for conversation. If you didnt like it talk about why rather than just comparing it to a range of animal excrement.

The poster gave, I thought, a reasonable explanation for his opinion, not wanton hate. One can have a passion for something in general, but not necessarily like every particular example of it...