• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I liked it...good nostalgia and nice build up for Episode VIII.

My only complaint was the lack of the 20th Century Fox fanfare...just going into the movie silently felt out of place.

Luckily this is something easily fixed by a fan with slight video editing know-how in the future...

I liked the movie; agree with others that the parallels to A New Hope were a little too obvious. I also thought the plot moved a little slowly in a few places, but seemed to pick up towards the end.

I really liked that the movie didn't feel like a blatant video game.

I liked the new actors, and luckily was able to avoid learning about the main spoilers until I watched the move. But, even without the spoilers, they were pretty obvious.

But let's be honest; unless it was a total piece of garbage, I was going to like it and see it multiple times in the theater. Will need to rewatch to pick up on some of the smaller details.

Keep in mind the Star Wars Universe is constantly repeating itself... hm

Another sibling showdown perhaps?

Ben tells Anakin "you were my brother" in this clip... and Ben took him out. Not actual siblings, but you get the gist.

You know, everyone is saying that Rey is Luke's daughter. hm

Now I want to believe this too... but Luke and Leia were TWINS.

Who's to say that Rey and Ren aren't also twins... Han and Leia's twins hm

Because Leia didn't die from sadness in childbirth lol It at least made sense with Luke and Leia because Vader knew he had a son, he didn't know that Padme was pregnant with twins. So when she died, the only people who knew were Organa and Yoda (and ghost Qui Gon I guess?) Why would Leia and Han abandon their daughter?

You know, everyone is saying that Rey is Luke's daughter. hm

Now I want to believe this too... but Luke and Leia were TWINS.

Who's to say that Rey and Ren aren't also twins... Han and Leia's twins hm

Because Leia didn't die from sadness in childbirth lol It at least made sense with Luke and Leia because Vader knew he had a son, he didn't know that Padme was pregnant with twins. So when she died, the only people who knew were Organa and Yoda (and ghost Qui Gon I guess?) Why would Leia and Han abandon their daughter?

Well Luke and Leia were separated at birth... since the Force allows peaks into the future, perhaps Luke foresaw this (the Ren and Rey showdown) and they put her there to protect her. Ren obviously knew who she was when she was mentioned in the film.

The whole separation at birth thing might be repeating itself too. No one really knows whats going to happen. Luke could attack Rey in the opening credits of the next film for all we know :D

Why would Leia and Han abandon their daughter?

and not say anything about it when they reunite. Or when Han finds her.

Yeah I dont think Rey is Han/Leia's...

I'd also like to think that she isnt Luke's either, since

a) that's a little too on the nose

b) that whole jedi not having kids rule is just being THROWN out the window since it went soooooooooooooooooooooooooo well with Anakin, why wouldnt we try it again?

my current theory.

Rey was one of the young Jedi in training with Luke and the other young 'uns. Kylo came and attacked Lukes trainees but he managed to save/hide Rey (maybe they were close, maybe she was his surrogate daughter (not actual))

So to throw Kylo off Luke "buries" her (someone refereced that there's a scene with Luke by a tombstone? I must have missed it, was it the dream sequence of Rey when she touches the saber for the first time?) but then Luke takes Rey to Jakku, an out of the way planet that reminds him of his home Tatooine.

She thinks she's waiting for her parents to come back (a fair assumption) but it's really Luke who left her on Jakku to keep her hidden from Kylo and the first brigade.

other theories and thoughts...

...I dont think Finn is going to be a Jedi, and think that all of the ads with him with the saber were nothing but a misdirect.

...I think Finn and Rey will bond over the whole "taken from their parents" thing. I dont know if there will be romance, but if there is I certainly hope it is a sub, sub, sub, subplot.

...Is Snoke really that giant or is that just the projection (since we never see him to scale in person)?

...will we see something of Kylo's seduction to the dark side? We made it thru the original trilogy without seeing how Darth became Darth, so why cant we leave Kylo's turning to a few flashbacks centered around his interaction with Luke (as padawan) ?

...will we get more Poe? Outside of the beginning and the end Poe was definitely a tier 2 or 3 character, which surprised me based on the fact that the casting was much balley-hooed. Maybe he's more tier 1 in upcoming movies.

...Does Leia stay in the limelight with Han gone. I love Leia, I love General Leia. I hope with Han gone she doesnt take too much of a step back in the movies hierarchy, especially with Luke (maybe) coming back into the fold.

My one minor gripe is when Ren was holding Rey captive, and she made the reference about being hunted by a man in a mask and then Ren takes it off.

That was not the time to humanize him. It diminished it when Han asks him later on. THAT was the time to humanize him. That was the moment, when Han says 'Take off your mask'.... that was the first time we should have seen Ren's real face. The father-son meeting. Would have really added to that scene. Otherwise, he took off his mask and we had already seen his face. it didn't add that extra "oomph" that could have been.

My 1 gripe.

Thoughts?

I see it totally differently. The timing was perfect. He takes down the mask in front of Rey, showing a normal person behind the evil. Who didn't expect a damaged person or face behind the mask but she (and we, the public) saw a regular guy.

Han knows how his son looks like. There is or added value waiting for that moment. There still is the emotion of father and son when he takes it of, just no extra surprise for us the viewers whom seen his face by now.

I think this was very well thought trough and perfect storytelling. The story in the next movies will be around these two and their training (I think), knowing they will meet again. This is their (sort of) first meeting each other and as such a very important moment and a perfect timing to reveal his face.

My one minor gripe is when Ren was holding Rey captive, and she made the reference about being hunted by a man in a mask and then Ren takes it off.

That was not the time to humanize him. It diminished it when Han asks him later on. THAT was the time to humanize him. That was the moment, when Han says 'Take off your mask'.... that was the first time we should have seen Ren's real face. The father-son meeting. Would have really added to that scene. Otherwise, he took off his mask and we had already seen his face. it didn't add that extra "oomph" that could have been.

My 1 gripe.

Thoughts?

Exactly how i felt.

My 1 gripe.

Thoughts?

Exactly how i felt.

It continues to illustrate how immature he is. How not in control of the situation he is, even though he is SUPPOSED to be. She challenged her and instead of him being "silly girl" it's O YEA? Well what about THAT! Like a child.

I really liked it!

The destroyed AT-AT seemed way to small in the desert, she was sitting next to the foot, and I though the size was comparable to a scout walker, not an AT-AT that crushes snowspeeders.

Was sad to see Han die ;-( other than that, great job!

That was heartbreaking to me. My favorite character. :(

Rey was one of the young Jedi in training with Luke and the other young 'uns. Kylo came and attacked Lukes trainees but he managed to save/hide Rey (maybe they were close, maybe she was his surrogate daughter (not actual))

I think this is correct, but I think (unbeknownst to her) she is his daughter, which makes the last shot of the film that much more poignant. Not only is someone holding out his light saber, asking him to return to the battle he's run from, but it's his own daughter asking.