• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

My first thought walking out was disappointment but it may be because of Han Solo dying. I need time to digest it and watch it again in a couple of weeks.. It also bothered me that they have this massive weapon that is worse than even the Death Star and yet it was destroyed with little to no effort.

My thoughts:

Got legit goosebumps at the beginning.

I didn't mind the structural parallels between the original movies.

I thought the villains were underutilized. Hux was useless. We still know almost nothing about Snoke. There was less than 5 minutes of Phasma. Kylo Ren was the most prominent (as he should have been), and I think most of the scenes with him were good, but man, I really want him to be scary.

I agree that Rey's command of the Force was perhaps advanced a little rapidly, but I think it did the intended job in conveying a strong connection. I thought Daisy Ridley was great, and I did like the musical theme they gave her. It was the only character theme that I thought could go on par with the previous movies.

I think she's a Skywalker. . . whether that's through Luke or Leia (with Han), I don't know. Maz Kanata asked Han, "Who's the girl?" It will be interesting to see how that plays out. I actually think they could have left the revelation that Ren was related until the second movie. For example, we see Han confront Ren at the end, but we don't hear what they say. It's obvious Ren and Rey will confront one another again, and it Ren could have revealed it then.

Loved the ending. It's clear that Luke has seen some "stuff."

I enjoyed the movie. I've always considered Empire to be the standard, and I thought New Hope was second. This movie was on par with Return of the Jedi, and may even be a bit better.

Saw it this morning at 10am. Theater was packed -- this movie is going to make a gazillion dollars.

As for the movie...I have mixed feelings right now. Everything seemed so convenient, no clear reasons why Ben Solo hates his parents so much. I guess we can wait a few years for more backstory but that is never a great way to introduce characters IMO. It did feel like Abrams was lacking in originality with many of the scenes and themes being plucked directly from A New Hope. If it's not broke don't fix it I guess.

I think many fans will be pleased with this film and the pacing and acting were on point compared to the bad taste the prequels left everyone with. But I do give Lucas a little more credit now in trying to craft a different story with episodes 1,2 and 3. I feel anyone could have came up with the cookie cutter film Disney just presented us.

8 out of 10

This is probably the most accurate statement of the thread. Except for the 8/10 part, maybe 2 out of ten as Rey and Finn were good characters. There are two Star Wars movies that I would never watch again, AOTC and this one.

This had absolutely no heart, I knew I was in trouble when Han died and I wasn't crying like a baby. I mean my favourite fictional character of all time died, and I didn't even blink, cause it wasn't real Star Wars.

A third Death Star...really? People who pick up a lightsaber for the first time can wield it like a master swordsman...really? A lost droid on a sand planet carrying a message/map...really? Han has to travel to a planet and enter the bunker and blow it up with charges to disable the shields again....really? I already know how #9 ends, with Rey saving her brother from the dark side.

Predictable horse AND dog excrement, cuz it really is both.

I wouldn't call it The Force Awakens...more like Star Wars: The Parody

Jim

Harsh criticism but I can see how the director borrowed/paid tribute to perhaps too many key scenes from episodes 4-6, as people were hungry to see Han Solo, Chewbacca, General/Princess Leia, C3PO, R2 D2 and Luke Skywalker perhaps one last time on the big screen. Keep in mind, half the Star Wars fans in the seats were not even born 32 years ago when Return of the Jedi debuted. :gossip:

I was stunned by how simple and effective the last minute of the Force Awakens was. Instead of filling the scene with glad handing and jubilation, Luke did not speak a word. Great directing and editing. Good Irish scenery too instead of CGI. (thumbs u

Saw it this morning at 10am. Theater was packed -- this movie is going to make a gazillion dollars.

As for the movie...I have mixed feelings right now. Everything seemed so convenient, no clear reasons why Ben Solo hates his parents so much. I guess we can wait a few years for more backstory but that is never a great way to introduce characters IMO. It did feel like Abrams was lacking in originality with many of the scenes and themes being plucked directly from A New Hope. If it's not broke don't fix it I guess.

I think many fans will be pleased with this film and the pacing and acting were on point compared to the bad taste the prequels left everyone with. But I do give Lucas a little more credit now in trying to craft a different story with episodes 1,2 and 3. I feel anyone could have came up with the cookie cutter film Disney just presented us.

8 out of 10

This is probably the most accurate statement of the thread. Except for the 8/10 part, maybe 2 out of ten as Rey and Finn were good characters. There are two Star Wars movies that I would never watch again, AOTC and this one.

This had absolutely no heart, I knew I was in trouble when Han died and I wasn't crying like a baby. I mean my favourite fictional character of all time died, and I didn't even blink, cause it wasn't real Star Wars.

A third Death Star...really? People who pick up a lightsaber for the first time can wield it like a master swordsman...really? A lost droid on a sand planet carrying a message/map...really? Han has to travel to a planet and enter the bunker and blow it up with charges to disable the shields again....really? I already know how #9 ends, with Rey saving her brother from the dark side.

Jim

:facepalm:

Please go on with your life and stay away from all these movies and threads from here on out and we will all be good.

The only part of this movie that is still bothering me (science and minor plot holes aside) is how they handle the remorse that was shown over Han's death. This was Han Freaking Solo getting his wish at last! Even at the end when Rey sits in the pilot seat of the Falcon Chewie just glances sideways at her as if "what the hell, as long as I have a pilot I'll be OK. ) Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

8 out of 10

Jim

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Jim :(

I have things i didn't like about it but i still enjoyed it. Hopefully you give it a second chance because it'll suck for you to go on hating SW with all the new movies coming out. But hey you might enjoy the anthology movies more.

8 out of 10

Jim

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Jim :(

I have things i didn't like about it but i still enjoyed it. Hopefully you give it a second chance because it'll suck for you to go on hating SW with all the new movies coming out. But hey you might enjoy the anthology movies more.

So true.

The future still looks bright for all that's coming, even for those that didn't like this film.

I personally can't wait for Rian Johnson's take on the next one. Absolutely loved his films Brick and Looper.

Another Death Star, just bigger...really?

Why do the 'bad guys' want to blow up planets so badly?

Why not release various bio-chemical weapons to wipeout a planet's population?

alright Neil Degrasse settle down...

Harsh criticism but I can see how the director borrowed/paid tribute to perhaps too many key scenes from episodes 4-6, as people were hungry to see Han Solo, Chewbacca, General/Princess Leia, C3PO, R2 D2 and Luke Skywalker perhaps one last time on the big screen. Keep in mind, half the Star Wars fans in the seats were not even born 32 years ago when Return of the Jedi debuted. :gossip:

I was stunned by how simple and effective the last minute of the Force Awakens was. Instead of filling the scene with glad handing and jubilation, Luke did not speak a word. Great directing and editing. Good Irish scenery too instead of CGI. (thumbs u

This was my wifes first Star Wars. She loved it. She was born in 1984 a year after the original trilogy! lol

People forget how long ago 1977 is.

That`s 38 years ago. :o

Think in 1977 about people reminiscing about 1939 movies.

Ala Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz.

They had to make a new modern movie to bring in new fans.

I loved the new characters,then again I loved the Star Wars video games,comics and cartoons that deal with new characters all the time,so I am use to new characters in the Star Wars mythos.

I am going to see it again.

Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

I assumed (and lord knows if it will be explained) that Luke himself made the map, had it split in two parts each with conditions for reveal.

We dont know what Poe and BB8 did to get the first part (and remember they thought it was the whole map, no one knew about the rest with R2).

I assume it was Luke's way of saying "Ok R2 when ______ happens you can power back up and reveal your part of the map.

Remember R2 came back to life and revealed his part of the map not when BB8 returned with his part of the map, but when Rey showed up (at least I think that's how I remember it happening).

I dont know if the conditions had to do with Rey growing up, or Rey returning, Rey joining the rebelion, or what the conditions were surrounding the part Poe found, but I assume Luke knew there was a point when he needed to be found and he set it up so when the time came the maps would be revealed.

Also why would Luke not have children? 1) Luke was not a part of the Jedi Order. 2) Yoda never said anything about it. The Jedi Code is a Prequels thing. It does not apply to Luke.

Again who did he bang?

I am not understanding why anyone would wants this to be true.

It makes the SW story stupid.

What is stupid about a grown man having children?

I think the stupid aspect of this is the one you're replying to...

Im not a fan of the idea of Rey being Leia's daughter either.

making people related is like using a cheat in movies

by making people related theres a built in relationship that the writer/director doesnt have to explain as much as if there is no blood relation.

by making people related you dont have to explain why they care about each other, why they want to be together, why they are affected by each other...

so while there's nothing stupid about Luke having a kid, using it as a shorthand for his relationship with Rey would feel cheap.

I'd much rather Rey be Luke's favorite trainee and let them flashback to their training days and also use that to flesh out some of Kylos turning to the dark side...

8 out of 10

Jim

:facepalm:

Please go on with your life and stay away from all these movies and threads from here on out and we will all be good.

Because only one opinion is allowed here....

Also why would a map have been made to show where Luke was?

I assumed (and lord knows if it will be explained) that Luke himself made the map, had it split in two parts each with conditions for reveal.

We dont know what Poe and BB8 did to get the first part (and remember they thought it was the whole map, no one knew about the rest with R2).

I assume it was Luke's way of saying "Ok R2 when ______ happens you can power back up and reveal your part of the map.

Remember R2 came back to life and revealed his part of the map not when BB8 returned with his part of the map, but when Rey showed up (at least I think that's how I remember it happening).

I dont know if the conditions had to do with Rey growing up, or Rey returning, Rey joining the rebelion, or what the conditions were surrounding the part Poe found, but I assume Luke knew there was a point when he needed to be found and he set it up so when the time came the maps would be revealed.

Was the lightsaber with her when R2D2 powered up? Maybe that was the key to it?

Also why would Luke not have children? 1) Luke was not a part of the Jedi Order. 2) Yoda never said anything about it. The Jedi Code is a Prequels thing. It does not apply to Luke.

Again who did he bang?

I am not understanding why anyone would wants this to be true.

It makes the SW story stupid.

What is stupid about a grown man having children?

I think the stupid aspect of this is the one you're replying to...

Im not a fan of the idea of Rey being Leia's daughter either.

making people related is like using a cheat in movies

by making people related theres a built in relationship that the writer/director doesnt have to explain as much as if there is no blood relation.

by making people related you dont have to explain why they care about each other, why they want to be together, why they are affected by each other...

so while there's nothing stupid about Luke having a kid, using it as a shorthand for his relationship with Rey would feel cheap.

I'd much rather Rey be Luke's favorite trainee and let them flashback to their training days and also use that to flesh out some of Kylos turning to the dark side...

WOW! I really like this idea. It would make a great story to see played out.

Because only one opinion is allowed here....

The board exists because like-minded people have a passion and love for something. If someone doesn't...why are they here? Specifically, why are they posting in here?

I'm glad the haters are in the very, very, very, VERY small minority on this film. I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet, but I was pretty emotional throughout for reasons even I didn't expect.