• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I expected to see more of Captain Phasma. She seemed a pretty lame character in this film. Maybe she'll be more important in the following ones.

Every SW film needs it's Boba Fett.....badass costume...not much screen tame...taken out easily.

I guess this is the way to get your own film.

This was the best Star Wars movie since ROTJ hands down!

That said there were let downs that could've made this a 10 out of 10...

Many of these were said

1/ Episode IV redux

2/ Instant Jedi Skills

3/ Lackluster score

My biggest gripe was the lack of flair with Han's death. Maybe the helmet less acting of Adam Driver or the way it was written. This death felt about as non-spectacular as Boba Fett's to me. And by the way I heard a rumor that Boba found a way out of the Sarlacc pit and was going to be in this flick??? silly me for getting jacked by a web rumor...

Boba should've killed Han not some young punk that got his azz whipped by a girl that just picked up a light saber.

Other than that and all that has been said already there were only nit-picky stuff that seemed odd - like why would a storm trooper have a lightsaber battling weapon??? That seemed a little forced (pardon the pun) I mean how many Jedi have these units faced???

Other than all that. This was the movie fan-boys clamored over forever for. A Lucas free film shot by a hot shot director.

Here's my take on Star Wars films:

Episode 7: 8 out of 10!

Episode 6: 8.5 out of 10!

Episode 5: 10 out of 10!

Episode 4: 9 out of 10!

Episode 3: 5.5 out of 10!

Episode 2: 4.5 out of 10!

Episode 1: 3.5 out of 10!

Boba Fett's armor, but not him, is found in Aftermath on Tatooine, an in-canon novel taking place after Return of the Jedi. It has what one would assume is damage that the Sarlac would have caused.

Re: the stormtrooper training. I don't know, it seems pretty reasonable that a faction led by a dark lord who is trying to exterminate Jedi, among them perhaps the greatest of them, to have at least passing protection if available. I'm unsure if that scene is there just to put Finn in a scene with a lightsaber against someone he could possibly defeat but I don't know, I really never questioned it. These aren't dumb droids these are a post-Empire group that are aware of who they might fight. Also, we don't know where they came from. As I've noted in a previous post, it's possible that the First Order originated outside of the known Galaxy (at least perhaps Snoke) where after Return of the Jedi the bulk of Imperial fleet went to, along with their only remaining Super Star Destroyer. We just don't know. Maybe this is a group that's used to fighting force users we don't know about.

I'm not sure I'm really comfortable about the possible insinuation of "by a girl" but I think that's something purposely left for later. We are going to find out why she is a badass, but I'd suggest we do know even from before that, she knows how to take care of herself and didn't come from a plush life.

Also, please note that Anakin was intuitively using the force as a child to do things humans, much less human children couldn't do. Anakin... was flying a spaceship into battle as an annoying brat.

It wasn't just some young punk that killed Han. It was his Son for :censored: sake.

Do any parents here have an opinion on how old a kid should be before seeing this movie? My daughter is a little young for it (she turns five in April).

I'm leaning towards waiting until she is about eight to see it. I saw the original movie when I was five, but this one seems a little more intense. It is rated PG13, but I would think most eight-year-olds would be fine at it.

My girl is 6.5 right now. She's never seen any of the SW movies. She's played some Infinity videogames and loves the SW legos.

I told her 8 is when she can see New Hope, and we'll go from there.

She still runs out of the room when the Pound Puppies get in trouble so I dont think she's ready for PG level action/excitement.

Do any parents here have an opinion on how old a kid should be before seeing this movie? My daughter is a little young for it (she turns five in April).

I'm leaning towards waiting until she is about eight to see it. I saw the original movie when I was five, but this one seems a little more intense. It is rated PG13, but I would think most eight-year-olds would be fine at it.

My girl is 6.5 right now. She's never seen any of the SW movies. She's played some Infinity videogames and loves the SW legos.

I told her 8 is when she can see New Hope, and we'll go from there.

She still runs out of the room when the Pound Puppies get in trouble so I dont think she's ready for PG level action/excitement.

Yeah, it depends a lot on the kid in question. I loved a New Hope when I was five, but I think it would probably be a lot for her to process. However, she's changing so rapidly that I could see her being ready when she is six. I let her watch the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon on Netflix during a weak moment and now its her favorite cartoon. Watching that cartoon I feel like I should have probably avoided that for another year or so.

I'll just have to play it by ear.

I think the loud noises alone would be enough to get some of the more timid kids rattled - what adults define as spectacle can seem like hell in the wrong mood for a kid.

Yeah, I can't take my daughter to a movie in a theater because it is too loud for her. I tried taking her to the Minions movie and we had to leave.

We watch movies at home in at a less extreme volume.

I know this is going to come as a surprise but this is the 1st Star Wars movie I've seen in theaters. I wouldn't say I'm a Star Wars junkie but I do consider the 1st three movies classic cinema. Star Wars (1977) could be considered a timeless classic.

The 1st thing I felt about this movie, without thinking much about it, was that it mirrored what others mentioned - it seemed to be very familiar to me. And that is because while not an exact copy of Star Wars there were just waaaay too many similarities.

Sure the characters are new, and some of them were very well done, but the storyline is still just a few small steps removed from the 1st movie.

I also kind of wished they hadn't unveiled Kylo so quickly. As soon as I saw Adam Driver, it's all I could see him as. He's so well known now that it's hard to imagine him as anything else but AD.

And that was a special thing that Star Wars had going for it in the 1st few movies. It wasn't A-listers leading the show - it was the story.

I also thought Han's death, being as magnanimous as it was could have been stretched out a hair more.

Another spot where I thought the movie was missing something was in the climax.

In Star Wars when they went in to destroy the Deathstar there was a lot more interaction between all of the parties involved in the resistance, there was a sense of camaraderie among them and it was well built up until the final big finish. Skywalker's excitement was palatable in the final scenes and the action was relatively easy to follow.

This movie seemed a little rushed in a few spots.

And absolutely, the soundtrack was weaker than I had remembered in previous films. There were spots where I was dying to hear a crescendo and didn't.

This movie will be the biggest grossing movie of all time and it's going to stay there for a while but it's getting there riding on the coat tails of it's predecessors and not just on story and greatness alone.

Still, it was enjoyable enough.

I know this is going to come as a surprise but this is the 1st Star Wars movie I've seen in theaters. I wouldn't say I'm a Star Wars junkie but I do consider the 1st three movies classic cinema. Star Wars (1977) could be considered a timeless classic.

The 1st thing I felt about this movie, without thinking much about it, was that it mirrored what others mentioned - it seemed to be very familiar to me. And that is because while not an exact copy of Star Wars there were just waaaay too many similarities.

Sure the characters are new, and some of them were very well done, but the storyline is still just a few small steps removed from the 1st movie.

I also kind of wished they hadn't unveiled Kylo so quickly. As soon as I saw Adam Driver, it's all I could see him as. He's so well known now that it's hard to imagine him as anything else but AD.

And that was a special thing that Star Wars had going for it in the 1st few movies. It wasn't A-listers leading the show - it was the story.

I also thought Han's death, being as magnanimous as it was could have been stretched out a hair more.

Another spot where I thought the movie was missing something was in the climax.

In Star Wars when they went in to destroy the Deathstar there was a lot more interaction between all of the parties involved in the resistance, there was a sense of camaraderie among them and it was well built up until the final big finish. Skywalker's excitement was palatable in the final scenes and the action was relatively easy to follow.

This movie seemed a little rushed in a few spots.

And absolutely, the soundtrack was weaker than I had remembered in previous films. There were spots where I was dying to hear a crescendo and didn't.

This movie will be the biggest grossing movie of all time and it's going to stay there for a while but it's getting there riding on the coat tails of it's predecessors and not just on story and greatness alone.

Still, it was enjoyable enough.

Agree on all points. Didn't notice the score though, which can be good or bad...

This was the best Star Wars movie since ROTJ hands down!

That said there were let downs that could've made this a 10 out of 10...

Many of these were said

1/ Episode IV redux

2/ Instant Jedi Skills

3/ Lackluster score

My biggest gripe was the lack of flair with Han's death. Maybe the helmet less acting of Adam Driver or the way it was written. This death felt about as non-spectacular as Boba Fett's to me. And by the way I heard a rumor that Boba found a way out of the Sarlacc pit and was going to be in this flick??? silly me for getting jacked by a web rumor...

Boba should've killed Han not some young punk that got his azz whipped by a girl that just picked up a light saber.

Other than that and all that has been said already there were only nit-picky stuff that seemed odd - like why would a storm trooper have a lightsaber battling weapon??? That seemed a little forced (pardon the pun) I mean how many Jedi have these units faced???

Other than all that. This was the movie fan-boys clamored over forever for. A Lucas free film shot by a hot shot director.

Here's my take on Star Wars films:

Episode 7: 8 out of 10!

Episode 6: 8.5 out of 10!

Episode 5: 10 out of 10!

Episode 4: 9 out of 10!

Episode 3: 5.5 out of 10!

Episode 2: 4.5 out of 10!

Episode 1: 3.5 out of 10!

Boba Fett's armor, but not him, is found in Aftermath on Tatooine, an in-canon novel taking place after Return of the Jedi. It has what one would assume is damage that the Sarlac would have caused.

Re: the stormtrooper training. I don't know, it seems pretty reasonable that a faction led by a dark lord who is trying to exterminate Jedi, among them perhaps the greatest of them, to have at least passing protection if available. I'm unsure if that scene is there just to put Finn in a scene with a lightsaber against someone he could possibly defeat but I don't know, I really never questioned it. These aren't dumb droids these are a post-Empire group that are aware of who they might fight. Also, we don't know where they came from. As I've noted in a previous post, it's possible that the First Order originated outside of the known Galaxy (at least perhaps Snoke) where after Return of the Jedi the bulk of Imperial fleet went to, along with their only remaining Super Star Destroyer. We just don't know. Maybe this is a group that's used to fighting force users we don't know about.

I'm not sure I'm really comfortable about the possible insinuation of "by a girl" but I think that's something purposely left for later. We are going to find out why she is a badass, but I'd suggest we do know even from before that, she knows how to take care of herself and didn't come from a plush life.

Also, please note that Anakin was intuitively using the force as a child to do things humans, much less human children couldn't do. Anakin... was flying a spaceship into battle as an annoying brat.

It wasn't just some young punk that killed Han. It was his Son for :censored: sake.

His son is a young punk, acting very badly, and badly acting too! lol

Maybe I'm easy to please, but the only noticeably bad acting to me was perpetrated by Carrie Fisher. Other than that I thought it was solid.

I think there would be a consensus on that. Ford is by comparison a real pro, but I didn't think he had his heart in it. There was no chemistry between the two and that made Fisher look even worse. 2c

I've wondered the same thing. My son is 4 and I really want to take him to the theater, but I think he might be intimidated by some of it.

He's seen all the others and loved them. Lately though he seems to be watching more closely and occasionally things intimidate him.

I'm not sure how'd he handle the new one.

PS: He saw the second Avengers in theaters, so he seems to handle things a bit better. He has an 11 year old sister so it is difficult to control everything he watches.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but the only noticeably bad acting to me was perpetrated by Carrie Fisher. Other than that I thought it was solid.

I think there would be a consensus on that. Ford is by comparison a real pro, but I didn't think he had his heart in it. There was no chemistry between the two and that made Fisher look even worse. 2c

Disagree about Ford. I thought he was invested and nailed all of his scenes. Their scenes together felt like a pro on-screen with an amateur, but that was just my impression.

I guess I'm even easier to please as I didn't think Fisher was that bad, a little stiff maybe. I also thought her and Ford had good chemistry. I guess I'm just a sap lol