• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm easy to please, but the only noticeably bad acting to me was perpetrated by Carrie Fisher. Other than that I thought it was solid.

I think there would be a consensus on that. Ford is by comparison a real pro, but I didn't think he had his heart in it. There was no chemistry between the two and that made Fisher look even worse. 2c

I think Fisher sounded and looked aweful. Ford I felt was just in it for the payday. The movie has the Star Wars feel but not the magic of 4 5 and 6. I personally thought they rushed the unveiling of Kylo. Also felt the end battle was lackluster and somewhat boring. With that said, there were still moments I got chills and I feel the movie is a great starting point for what's to come. I also think the new faces have a lot of potential. 7.5/10

Maybe I'm easy to please, but the only noticeably bad acting to me was perpetrated by Carrie Fisher. Other than that I thought it was solid.

I guess I'm even easier to please as I didn't think Fisher was that bad, a little stiff maybe. I also thought her and Ford had good chemistry. I guess I'm just a sap lol

(shrug) I'm definitely no expert, and a lot of the things others are critical of I love. Overall, I thought it was a great popcorn flick. Empire is still my favorite, but this is the first one I saw in the theater and loved it.

I guess I'm even easier to please as I didn't think Fisher was that bad, a little stiff maybe. I also thought her and Ford had good chemistry. I guess I'm just a sap lol

(shrug) I'm definitely no expert, and a lot of the things others are critical of I love. Overall, I thought it was a great popcorn flick. Empire is still my favorite, but this is the first one I saw in the theater and loved it.

(thumbs u Empire - I think - will always be my favorite!

I think there would be a consensus on that. Ford is by comparison a real pro, but I didn't think he had his heart in it. There was no chemistry between the two and that made Fisher look even worse. 2c

I think Fisher sounded and looked aweful. Ford I felt was just in it for the payday. The movie has the Star Wars feel but not the magic of 4 5 and 6. I personally thought they rushed the unveiling of Kylo. Also felt the end battle was lackluster and somewhat boring. With that said, there were still moments I got chills and I feel the movie is a great starting point for what's to come. I also think the new faces have a lot of potential. 7.5/10

They definitely kept that famous 'Star Wars' feel to the movie as you moved from scene to scene, and there certainly were some warm and fuzzy moments.

I think Fisher's botox got the worst of her lines. :D

We can agree on that. Seriously, when I criticize this new movie its not because I want to compare to the first three, I don't think that is fair or realistic. The first 3 don't all age well uniformly either, and I saw SW in 1977 when I was 10 and that will never be replicated obviously. That is not a fair basis to judge a new production.

That said, today my 5 year old (who is blissfully unaware of SW or the hype) asked me what a lightsaber was, so for the heck of it I showed him the clip of Luke and Vader's duel. Seeing this again I was still very impressed with the dramatic presentation, his delivery is exquisite, the lines justly memorable, it aged very well.

When Vader calls to "Join me" and rule together etc...I couldn't help thinking "Hey, you know Luke, that's a pretty attractive offer" hmlol

I guess I think it was a mistake also in this version to go with the Vader-lite villain. To me it was a weak choice.

Fisher was a party animal in the 70s and 80s.

Carrie Fisher relives racy Star Wars memories.

I think the real shock wasn`t her acting,but how old she looks. :o

A lot of Star Wars fans had a crush on her in the 70s and 80s.

To see their princess this old was quite jarring!

Just goes to show how time can be cruel to all of us.

was it Han that mentioned to Rey and Finn that "an apprentice" or "Luke's apprentice" had destroyed his Jedi School? Wondering if it may have been Rey as a child, not Kylo Ren. It would be another way to explain why she was dropped off on Jakku back in the day.

was it Han that mentioned to Rey and Finn that "an apprentice" or "Luke's apprentice" had destroyed his Jedi School? Wondering if it may have been Rey as a child, not Kylo Ren. It would be another way to explain why she was dropped off on Jakku back in the day.

No. Rey was maybe 4 years old when she was dropped off on Jakku. I can't see her destroying any other Jedi at that age.

Also, they showed Kylo Ren destroying Luke's Jedi Academy in the flashback scene when Rey touched the lightsaber for the first time. (The scene where Ren is surrounded by the other guys in black and there are dead bodies all over the place).

We can agree on that. Seriously, when I criticize this new movie its not because I want to compare to the first three, I don't think that is fair or realistic. The first 3 don't all age well uniformly either, and I saw SW in 1977 when I was 10 and that will never be replicated obviously. That is not a fair basis to judge a new production.

That said, today my 5 year old (who is blissfully unaware of SW or the hype) asked me what a lightsaber was, so for the heck of it I showed him the clip of Luke and Vader's duel. Seeing this again I was still very impressed with the dramatic presentation, his delivery is exquisite, the lines justly memorable, it aged very well.

When Vader calls to "Join me" and rule together etc...I couldn't help thinking "Hey, you know Luke, that's a pretty attractive offer" hmlol

I guess I think it was a mistake also in this version to go with the Vader-lite villain. To me it was a weak choice.

You're 5 year old doesn't know what a light saber is :o

I'm not going to say Fisher was strong, because she wasn't, especially when you witness a Harrison Ford who is not mailing it in for the first time in a decade. I think we all know, Ford is a movie star and Fisher and Hamil, not so much (though obviously Fisher was born into Hollywood royalty).

The age doesn't bother me that much because I think it gives the movies a dose of reality. Time has passed, this mess i still going on. I think age helped all the three here, maybe especially Luke, and I think it bring Han full circle as we see a Han describe to us what he once himself didn't believe. Also... it's fairly evident all 3 have lived tough lives.

Fisher is almost 60, I don't really look to that age bracket for prime snoke.

This movie gets better in subsequent viewings. I liked it the first time but I think we all come into with some baggage. What sticks to me the most is that I remember when Phantom Menace came out, and I was waiting to get in, friends of mine and people I knew were coming out of a previous showing just literally shaking their head. I see nothing buy joy in my viewings.

The end fight scene? Man, I love how quiet and subtle the Luke Vader fight is (including in Jedi), but the final fight scene in this movie is excellent IMHO. I know a lot of people like the Phantom Menace scene, but to me it was a lifeless impressive ballet that had no meaning

Empire has aged well. Kershner did an amazing job with that film. It's the art house Star Wars movie.

As for the new film, I think ultimately I was more receptive to the repetitive aspect of the film given the series is modeled on the serials/soap operas of the past. While there were plenty of predictable moments it left me with enough mystery to be excited going on to the next film.

No. Rey was maybe 4 years old when she was dropped off on Jakku. I can't see her destroying any other Jedi at that age.

Also, they showed Kylo Ren destroying Luke's Jedi Academy in the flashback scene when Rey touched the lightsaber for the first time. (The scene where Ren is surrounded by the other guys in black and there are dead bodies all over the place).

I have highly placed sources who have told me Jar Jar Binks is Rey's father. There's actually a cut scene where Rey, right before mind tricking the storm trooper, says "Me so forcey, justa watcha this."

I think the real shock wasn`t her acting,but how old she looks. :o

A lot of Star Wars fans had a crush on her in the 70s and 80s.

To see their princess this old was quite jarring!

Just goes to show how time can be cruel to all of us.

dont do coke kids!

I went last night with my son. We both enjoyed the movie. One question:

The new bad guy...Why is he 50 feet tall? Is that just because it was a hologram??

Probably, to me, the weirdest choice in the movie. And I have no idea.

Is there a reason Snoke's left ear is damaged in the same spot Vader's helmet is damaged?

He also seems to share a scar along the forehead in the same spot.

Maybe. But it was also a very believable choice in the context of the Star Wars mythos. Han and Leia conceiving a Force-sensitive child who venerates his grandfather, the baddest dude in the known universe, rings true to me. In fact, I kind of like the set-up of the First Order being glorified groupies of the Empire, Emperor and especially Vader.