• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I think it's STAR WARS, particularly a STAR WARS saga film, so the antagonist going in was going to be a Force user, and I'd suspect if we were confronted with someone just more amped up than Anakin and Sheev we would all be calling foul over an easy, lazy. overpowered player

If anyone is overpowered, it's Rey, as has been noted. What she was able to do to Kylo Ren with no training makes me only imagine what would happen in a duel after her training is complete. Are they setting up the villain to be the underdog? And an unlikable underdog at that? The dynamic between the two could be problematic moving forward.

- rey is luke's daughter. there's no question about this. the clues were sprinkled throughout the movie: 1) when she's chilling in the desert and puts on the fighter pilot helmet for fun. it's a rebel alliance helmet, very possibly the exact same one luke wore in IV. 2) luke's lightsaber is calling to her. she's a skywalker. 3) for you guys complaining that R2 woke up at a really convenient time, think about what happened in that scene. who walked into the room for the first time? yep, rey. JJ isn't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. his explanation that R2 just took a while to boot up or whatever is obviously a lie to protect the reveal in VIII that luke programmed R2 to run in low power mode until rey arrived. you could say that R2 was... awakened.

- speaking of awakening, those of you complaining that finn and rey defeated kylo ren too easily didn't watch the movie. first of all, finn-- who was a stormtrooper trained in combat-- held his own for about two minutes before nearly being killed. rey, on the other hand, eventually put ren on his back. how? she's just a random force-sensitive girl from jakku who's never been trained, right? wrong. the first scene that finn sees her, she gets in a fight with two or three grown men. before he can even get to her to help, she's used her staff or whatever it was to put both/all of them down. she's not just a random girl from jakku, guys. she's been trained. her vision in maz's basement may very well have not been a vision at all, but suppressed memories. someone took her to jakku, force-wiped her memory and left her. that someone is likely luke and he probably did it to protect her from ren and his knights, but we won't get the full story till VIII. fine, but i'm right about this.

- again, the movie is titled "the force awakens." things that are awakened have to first be put to sleep. if rey was only learning about the force for the first time in this movie, it would be titled "the force discovered," but it's not. the force is with rey. she's been trained. R2 in sleep mode throughout the movie is a parallel for rey in sleep mode. my favorite scene in the movie is the interrogation between ren and rey. he tries to force-pull thoughts out of her mind, but what he doesn't realize is that he's opening a door that swings both ways. suddenly the things rey is capable of start coming back to her, and she starts force-reading him. suddenly she knows who darth vader is and what the significance of that is. a random girl from jakku. come on, guys.

This is how I took it as well. Nice synopsis! :headbang:

:applause:

- speaking of awakening, those of you complaining that finn and rey defeated kylo ren too easily didn't watch the movie. first of all, finn-- who was a stormtrooper trained in combat-- held his own for about two minutes before nearly being killed. rey, on the other hand, eventually put ren on his back. how? she's just a random force-sensitive girl from jakku who's never been trained, right? wrong. the first scene that finn sees her, she gets in a fight with two or three grown men. before he can even get to her to help, she's used her staff or whatever it was to put both/all of them down. she's not just a random girl from jakku, guys. she's been trained. her vision in maz's basement may very well have not been a vision at all, but suppressed memories. someone took her to jakku, force-wiped her memory and left her. that someone is likely luke and he probably did it to protect her from ren and his knights, but we won't get the full story till VIII. fine, but i'm right about this.

Not to mention Ren took a direct hit from Chewies blaster just minutes before and was severely compromised.

Finn was terrific. Poe was good, but mostly absent. Ren was what he was meant to be: a conflicted youth with a chip on his shoulder & emo-troubles galore, used as pawn of Snoke. Snoke kinda sucked. Solo was Solo. Same with Chewie. Fisher was fine, as she didn't have much to do. The plot was too derivative, true, but it felt like SW, unlike the prequels, which I liked more than disliked.

I don't buy Rey being perfect. Look, it's a STAR WARS movie so it's not exactly going to incredibly deep, especially at the pace this one was going, but I found Rey (relatively) fascinating. Consider her wanting to go back to the only home she knew, because she was afraid she'd miss her parent's return. One thing that's odd (but this is movies) is that girl is well put together and kept for living on such a desolate planet and rather meagerly.

I don't either Kylo and Rey looked like masters duelists (in the way we saw in the prequels), I think this was just a case of perhaps a combo Rey being innately more powerful than a conflicted and untrained Kylo. Kylo went through some mess before this AND we know he's neither a fully trained Sith or Jedi.

I'm very interested in learning who is Rey's mother. I've mentioned above that Jedi power doesn't seem to have much to do with genetics, excluding the Skywalker line (which both Kylo and Rey perhaps are), but the Skywalkers seem different from that, so if she is Luke's daughter (which as I noted above, is AT LEAST what the movie what's you to believe - look at iconography, look at the clothes, look at Rey's doll etc), I do wonder who her mother might be in that scenario. Someone who also didn't come back for her, or was dead before she was abandoned.

J.J.'s explanation of R2 is good enough for me.

MY question would be why hasn't Luke just took this dude out a long time ago

that would drive him to the dark side of the force.

I agree with most of what you said (I said it above) but was just wondering...

Jedi kill/attack sith, Dark Jedi, enemies, all the time. Ben killed Maul with no problems. Yoda tried to kill Palpatine, so did Windu and his crew. If the idea is shoveling it off to Rey is any different, I don't agree. Or do you have another angle?

If the insinuation is that Jedi cannot attack a personal enemy, or one that was known to them, then that's pretty silly and I think after 30 years, the Luke we saw who already went off--script from the Jedi (he redeemed Vader, didn't kill him like Ben and Yoda wanted - his attachments was his strength) would be well over something that simple. I will agree that Luke is incredibly frustrating in the non-canon EU novels because he does represent such a power that often has to be taken off the board.

Remember, Kenobi basically destroyed Anakin limb from limb.

Now, if the argument is that he thinks Kylo can be redeemed (because of what I mentioned - he pulled it off with Vader), I can buy that, but I think that will be a difficult thing to pull off to an audience. The guy didn't destroy a planet of nameless people (well... maybe he did lol), he killed Han Solo. That cannot be let go. One would think, given what we know, that Luke would consider this his personal responsibility. I do wonder if in some way Luke has been negated. There's a really interesting rumor going around (but it's really early( that I'm interested to see comes true via casting.

I do think Rian Johnson is going to surprise us. There's a twist here that I don't think I've seen speculated as of yet.

For those not familiar with Johnson, if he messes up Episode 8, it will be the first outright bad movie he's ever written or directed. Guy is the goods. This guy directing Benicio Del Toro sounds like a win to me. I'm more concerned with episode 9.

I think it's STAR WARS, particularly a STAR WARS saga film, so the antagonist going in was going to be a Force user, and I'd suspect if we were confronted with someone just more amped up than Anakin and Sheev we would all be calling foul over an easy, lazy. overpowered player

If anyone is overpowered, it's Rey, as has been noted. What she was able to do to Kylo Ren with no training makes me only imagine what would happen in a duel after her training is complete. Are they setting up the villain to be the underdog? And an unlikable underdog at that? The dynamic between the two could be problematic moving forward.

- rey is luke's daughter. there's no question about this. the clues were sprinkled throughout the movie: 1) when she's chilling in the desert and puts on the fighter pilot helmet for fun. it's a rebel alliance helmet, very possibly the exact same one luke wore in IV. 2) luke's lightsaber is calling to her. she's a skywalker. 3) for you guys complaining that R2 woke up at a really convenient time, think about what happened in that scene. who walked into the room for the first time? yep, rey. JJ isn't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. his explanation that R2 just took a while to boot up or whatever is obviously a lie to protect the reveal in VIII that luke programmed R2 to run in low power mode until rey arrived. you could say that R2 was... awakened.

- again, the movie is titled "the force awakens." things that are awakened have to first be put to sleep. if rey was only learning about the force for the first time in this movie, it would be titled "the force discovered," but it's not. the force is with rey. she's been trained. R2 in sleep mode throughout the movie is a parallel for rey in sleep mode. my favorite scene in the movie is the interrogation between ren and rey. he tries to force-pull thoughts out of her mind, but what he doesn't realize is that he's opening a door that swings both ways. suddenly the things rey is capable of start coming back to her, and she starts force-reading him. suddenly she knows who darth vader is and what the significance of that is. a random girl from jakku. come on, guys.

When Finn and Kylo Ren battle with lightsabers, Kylo is toying with Finn. Finn gets in a lucky strike and then Kylo finishes him off quickly after he is nicked in the shoulder. When Rey first gets the lightsaber and battles Kylo, she is running for her life and doing her best to block and run. When she gets cornered at the ledge, Kylo says "You need a teacher. I can show you the ways of the force." Then Rey repeats " The force. " She closes her eyes and uses the force to guide her in battle to beat Kylo Ren.

:applause:

That all sounds about right.

This is either the best plot hole explainer-awayer ever or it's true. If it's true, it's a ballsy narrative device to introduce plot points that first appear as illogical, only to fit in later. They are already filming the next one (according to IMDB at least), so I assume it's all mapped out.

This is either the best plot hole explainer-awayer ever or it's true. If it's true, it's a ballsy narrative device to introduce plot points that first appear as illogical, only to fit in later. They are already filming the next one (according to IMDB at least), so I assume it's all mapped out.

Think about it logically.

Did a New Hope give you all the answers right away or did the next two episodes do that? :baiting:

Yesterday I treated myself to seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the second time, but this time in IMAX 3D.

All I can say is this movie is :censored: FANTASTIC! :golfclap:

I think what happened for maybe some of us is we knew it would be obviously better than the prequels, but they left such a bad taste in our mouths that (at least for me for sure) when we watched the movie for the first time it was just to make sure it wasn't another Star Wars ruining derailment movie. So going into the movie for the second time was much more exciting to me because now I could just sit back and watch the movie with enjoyment.

Daisy Ridley as Rey is abolsutely a sweet heart with a kick to her. She was the perfect casting of the main protagonist for this trilogy. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is also going to be a fantastic antagonist. I just wish they used Adam Driver as Anakin Skywalker back in the prequels because that would have been a better emo way of showing how Anakin went to the Darkside.

Now after seeing this movie for a 2nd time I really don't see too many big potholes rather everything makes perfect sense. Rey was for sure trained in some manner in childhood and her mind was wiped. This movie is about the force reawakening back into Rey. Han's death also was more meaningful the second time around for me as well.

I am not sure if anyone brought this up but just look at the way Leia hugged Rey for the first time when she saw her. It was a hug of familiarity and it was a long hug. Leia knows exactly who Rey is. I am more convinced know Rey is Luke's daughter just because Han didn't really embrace her when he first saw her as a someone he hasn't seen in many years. I am okay either way Rey being a Skywalker or a Solo, but I am pretty sure she is in fact Luke's true daughter. Lets face it the Skywalker bloodline walks that fine line of obeying Jedi rules. :insane:

I think everyone just wanted answers to all the questions right away and just took the frustrating viewpoint that these were plot holes which isn't even close to being the case. Rian Johnson (who IMO is much better director than JJ) has all the groundwork laid out for him in Episode VII to go in the creative direction he wants to.

I can't wait for Episode VIII to see:

The back story of Ben Solo and Rey Skywalker.

Who was Rey's mother?

Who is Supreme Leader Snoke? (even though I assume he is Darth Plagueis)

What happened to make Luke's failure of training new Jedi's make him want to vanish?

All in all Star Wars The Force Awakens put the Star Wars movie franchise back on the right path. JJ knocked knocked it out of the park.

Did a New Hope give you all the answers right away or did the next two episodes do that? :baiting:

True, but the first movie introduced mysteries that didn't necessarily first appear to be plot holes. Of course, most of the new "plot holes" can only appear as such because of the established back story and logic of the series, a back story that obviously didn't exist for New Hope.

My only concern is Abrams' pedigree, which includes Lost, where we all thought everything was mapped out and would all eventually click together, and almost none of it did. But it should be far easier to accomplish here.

True, but the first movie introduced mysteries that didn't necessarily first appear to be plot holes. Of course, most of the new "plot holes" can only appear as such because of the established back story and logic of the series, a back story that obviously didn't exist for New Hope.

My only concern is Abrams' pedigree, which includes Lost, where we all thought everything was mapped out and would all eventually click together, and almost none of it did. But it should be far easier to accomplish here.

I think you are confusing JJ with Damon Lindelof.

Raun Johnson is taking over the reigns for Episode 8 which is a big deal.

Abrams had very little to do with the day to day of Lost. He was the executive producer and he directed the pilot (which was amazing) but tv is a writer's medium, and most of that was Cuse, Lindelof and their staff in various seasons (including BKV, Paul Dini, Sranoff, and the Once Upon a Time duo) etc.

He was the guy that made it happen, but he did very little after season 1. LOST was mostly a Cuse and Lindelof joint.

Under the tree this morning my 9 year old opened up a bunch of Force Awakens toys and he loves them. As a toy collector myself, I did find the toys to be underwhelming this year with nothing standing out. No "wow" that is cool toy yet. Maybe they will get better.

As for Rey, why can't she just be a girl strong in the force that Luke once trained. Not everyone has to be blood related do they?

Under the tree this morning my 9 year old opened up a bunch of Force Awakens toys and he loves them. As a toy collector myself, I did find the toys to be underwhelming this year with nothing standing out. No "wow" that is cool toy yet. Maybe they will get better.

As for Rey, why can't she just be a girl strong in the force that Luke once trained. Not everyone has to be blood related do they?

I got really good buzz from two Star Wars items for nieces: remote control BB8 and the limited uggs.

i just back from watching the movie again. i noticed that the force has been calling Rey for years. when Rey is getting her mind read by kylo he tells her" i see you dream of water....i see the island" it looks like she was dreaming of the first jedi temple thanks to the force and had no clue about it.

i just back from watching the movie again. i noticed that the force has been calling Rey for years. when Rey is getting her mind read by kylo he tells her" i see you dream of water....i see the island" it looks like she was dreaming of the first jedi temple thanks to the force and had no clue about it.

Yes. And even as she's kind of a dreamer and wants to know about "myths" etc she's someone who still thinks about going home and staying and waiting. She's been there for awhile and as I was watching it I was wondering if it was a similar thing with a much more active Kylo, where he is actively trying to run away from the light side, which calls to him, even as his own desires seem to toward the dark.

Disappointed. People are debating how she beat him in the end with no training but overlook the fact that the janitor held him off for a good bit as well. He should have been snatched up and flung right out of the forest. And forget homage, this marks the third time they blew up the Death Star. Even the score was a let down. All I can say is it was better than the last three. I hope the next two take the story in an original direction. Great seeing the original cast again and fantastic effects but this doesn't get a pass from me just because it's Star Wars. Empire set a high bar. Too high apparently.

Empire is one of the best movies of all time, so it is not even fair to compare ESB to any SW film.

In bold makes zero sense since she obviously had training.

How is anyone not understanding this? (shrug)

(also every stormtrooper had combot training, and Kylo was also bleeding to death after Chewbacca shot him)