• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

What did you think about them destroying another Death Star for the third time? I wish they would have come up with something different. Ground force trying to disable a shield while assault from above finishes the job.

When they start the 4th trilogy, the new weapon will be able to destroy entire galaxies. That is the logical escalation of things.

I don't think that would be the end of the world (no pun intended) - the way they would deal with such a megaweapon would be different than either of the previous three.

They would use the front door of the weapon complex instead of the back door?

All kidding aside, you don't need a superweapon to make Star Wars interesting. The most interesting movie made so far is ESB and there is no superweapon. If I recall, the EU had a book or two with superweapons, but it was the books without superweapons that were the most loved.

What did you think about them destroying another Death Star for the third time? I wish they would have come up with something different. Ground force trying to disable a shield while assault from above finishes the job.

When they start the 4th trilogy, the new weapon will be able to destroy entire galaxies. That is the logical escalation of things.

I don't think that would be the end of the world (no pun intended) - the way they would deal with such a megaweapon would be different than either of the previous three.

They would use the front door of the weapon complex instead of the back door?

All kidding aside, you don't need a superweapon to make Star Wars interesting. The most interesting movie made so far is ESB and there is no superweapon. If I recall, the EU had a book or two with superweapons, but it was the books without superweapons that were the most loved.

I think they did Starkiller to take the superweapon progression to its ridiculous conclusion, so they never have to touch it again. The First Order has now learned through their own failure to not emulate the Empire in this respect and will take a new path. At least I hope so.

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Why did he say "My father has it"? His father is dead... right?

Is he still in contact with a ghost 30 years after Vader's death?

It says that because it's a direct lift from Return of the Jedi. It's not a new recording.

These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

Kathleen Kennedy has reiterated that the Star Wars saga movies are and will be about a family, the Skywalkers. The Anthology movies will be used to explore other corners of the universe.

If Rey turns out to be a Skywalker, that would be a huge disappointment. That is the obvious path for the character.

Just want to point out we are talking about two different things in this case, though obviously related. While I believe Rey is probably Luke's daughter, and believe it's definitely what the movie wants the audience to believe, that's a different discussion from whether not the films will be about the Skywalkers.

Meaning from what we have been told, regardless of whether or not Rey is a Skywalker or not, the movies will be about the Skywalkers.

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

It says that because it's a direct lift from Return of the Jedi. It's not a new recording.

These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

Kathleen Kennedy has reiterated that the Star Wars saga movies are and will be about a family, the Skywalkers. The Anthology movies will be used to explore other corners of the universe.

If Rey turns out to be a Skywalker, that would be a huge disappointment. That is the obvious path for the character.

Just want to point out we are talking about two different things in this case, though obviously related. While I believe Rey is probably Luke's daughter, and believe it's definitely what the movie wants the audience to believe, that's a different discussion from whether not the films will be about the Skywalkers.

Meaning from what we have been told, regardless of whether or not Rey is a Skywalker or not, the movies will be about the Skywalkers.

Rey can not be a Skywalker and the movies are still about Skywalkers. Kylo Ren is a Skywalker in blood if not by name. So that part of the description has already been met.

Rey can not be a Skywalker and the movies are still about Skywalkers. Kylo Ren is a Skywalker in blood if not by name. So that part of the description has already been met.

That's exactly what I just said.

I was replying to your comment about the Skywalkers and how STAR WARS needs to expand from that or be stagnant. I said it's going to be about the Skywalkers regardless if Rey is one or not.

I was just expanding on it a little bit. I agree with you. I was not the poster of the other comment. I think where people are getting hung up is that the movie has not be not only about a Skywalker, but a light side Skywalker. Now I do think they heavily hint Rey is Luke's daughter, but other paths are possible, and could be even more interesting. I personally like the idea that she is Obi Wan's, daughter. :P Think that would add a nice overall symmetry to the sage. Now you can beat up on me.

If I recall, the EU had a book or two with superweapons, but it was the books without superweapons that were the most loved.

While I'm not sure how we can quantify what the most loved EU books are, I'm comfortable saying that the Thrawn trilogy and dulogy afterwards are among them.

In these books Thrawn was looking for a semi-mythical lost Fleet and found one of emperor's personal stash houses, where he found cloning technology, which is kind of a super weapon in itself. He also has armies and elite forces in territories that surpassed the breadth of the known Empire in his back pocket.

I do think Zahn was trying to, and he may even have been successful at it (I do love all 5 books), trying to make us view people as superweapons (Thrawn himself and Force users), but he was definitely looking for any advantage he could get. Certainly though, Zahn did focus on characters as assets (with Karde, Mara, and even down to Talon's hacker, or Winter etc).

One of ultimate superweapons was the Suncrusher (which I think Starkiller was based on along with the Deathstar) and that storyline was well thought of because it introduced fans to Kyp.

I was just expanding on it a little bit. I agree with you. I was not the poster of the other comment. I think where people are getting hung up is that the movie has not be not only about a Skywalker, but a light side Skywalker. Now I do think they heavily hint Rey is Luke's daughter, but other paths are possible, and could be even more interesting. I personally like the idea that she is Obi Wan's, daughter. :P Think that would add a nice overall symmetry to the sage. Now you can beat up on me.

I want Rey to be Senator Palpatine's daughter. :o

I like that idea, but in all honesty making the timeline's work with either Obi or Palpatine is a person_without_enough_empathy.

Oh sorry, that's totally my bad!

Unless there is a mystical explanation to her appearance or youth (which is actually possible though I think very unlikely), I don't think Rey can be Kenobi's 's daughter. Ben died more than 30 years ago and Rey is looking really good for her age if she is that old. Granddaughter is possible.

I like that idea, but in all honesty making the timeline's work with either Obi or Palpatine is a person_without_enough_empathy.

I know. lol

I still think it was brother vs sister in the last battle scene.

I am still surprised no one is really talking about how that embrace was when Leia meet Rey after the battle on StarKiller base. That was a very long embrace/hug which leads me to believe Leia for sure knows who Rey is.

I think people will be shocked to see how different Kylo Ren will look in the next movie. I think he will self mutilate his body to mirror Vader.

I'm really interested in how Benicio Del Toro fits into the movie. I feel like he might be the admiral that's introduced in the Aftermath novel (admittedly that's probably a common thought). When considering Snoke, Hux, Kylo, a probably larger role for Phasma I wonder how it's all going to even out.

I don't think you cast a Del Toro for a chump role.

I know. lol

I am still surprised no one is really talking about how that embrace was when Leia meet Rey after the battle on StarKiller base. That was a very long embrace/hug which leads me to believe Leia for sure knows who Rey is.

I think people will be shocked to see how different Kylo Ren will look in the next movie. I think he will self mutilate his body to mirror Vader.

I hope so.

I loved how he looked / was when he kept the helmet on. Once he removed it all I could see him as was a skinny emo dweeb who got his butt kicked.

I know. lol

I hope so.

I loved how he looked / was when he kept the helmet on. Once he removed it all I could see him as was a skinny emo dweeb who got his butt kicked.

He was a trainee. No different than when Luke was badly out dueled in ESB by Vader.

I wish Kylo's emo vibe was in the prequels. Adam Driver showed us all how Lucas should have casted Anakin.

We all had emo when we were younger. It is not like Vader was born Vader. Emo leads to the Darkside.

It was a draw btw. No one won that fight, Kylo underestimated Rey when Rey woke up her force powers from her training that she has yet to fully recall. Plus Kylo was bleeding to death. (shrug)

Rumors abound that Vader will appear both as a force ghost to Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode VIII. The idea is that even in death, Anakin / Vader is torn between the light and the dark.

:whistle:

Is there a reason Snoke's left ear is damaged in the same spot Vader's helmet is damaged?

He also seems to share a scar along the forehead in the same spot.

from the book of "Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens" how Anakin/ Vader was going to look like. THE FORCE GHOST OF ANAKIN SKYWALKER WAS PROPOSED TO BE IN THE FORCE AWAKENS!