• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Disappointed. People are debating how she beat him in the end with no training but overlook the fact that the janitor held him off for a good bit as well. He should have been snatched up and flung right out of the forest. And forget homage, this marks the third time they blew up the Death Star. Even the score was a let down. All I can say is it was better than the last three. I hope the next two take the story in an original direction. Great seeing the original cast again and fantastic effects but this doesn't get a pass from me just because it's Star Wars. Empire set a high bar. Too high apparently.

Empire is one of the best movies of all time, so it is not even fair to compare ESB to any SW film.

In bold makes zero sense since she obviously had training.

How is anyone not understanding this? (shrug)

(also every stormtrooper had combot training, and Kylo was also bleeding to death after Chewbacca shot him)

She didn't have any training in the force, it was rushed. And the Storm Troopers don't get light saber training. They can barely handle their primary weapon.

What are you talking about?

Did you watch Phantom Menace again by accident. :facepalm:

How did this simplistic movie go over your head?

The force awaken back into Rey, hence her training as well.

Disappointed. People are debating how she beat him in the end with no training but overlook the fact that the janitor held him off for a good bit as well. He should have been snatched up and flung right out of the forest. And forget homage, this marks the third time they blew up the Death Star. Even the score was a let down. All I can say is it was better than the last three. I hope the next two take the story in an original direction. Great seeing the original cast again and fantastic effects but this doesn't get a pass from me just because it's Star Wars. Empire set a high bar. Too high apparently.

Empire is one of the best movies of all time, so it is not even fair to compare ESB to any SW film.

(also every stormtrooper had combot training, and Kylo was also bleeding to death after Chewbacca shot him)

She didn't have any training in the force, it was rushed. And the Storm Troopers don't get light saber training. They can barely handle their primary weapon.

What are you talking about?

Did you watch Phantom Menace again by accident. :facepalm:

How did this simplistic movie go over your head?

It's okay bro, it was a great movie.

okay Bro :idea:

How are some people on these boards who are supposed to have a good pop culture wit about them sometimes acting as basic as the general public. :rulez:

The whole Kylo vs Rey battle not only makes sense you should be embarrassed you don't understand why it went down the exact way it did. :preach:

Here is a hint both of them are not masters of anything yet. Still trainees. :o

Finn seemed like a throw-away character for me. Over-acting at times, and overall just not very memorable . I can't see him carrying any future movies.

you arent ascribing bad acting to the times when Finn the character was trying to act cool, or act like he knew what was going on, or act not scared right? Cause those times I think it was an intentional choice of the actor to have Finn "over act" since he was trying to be something he wasnt.

It was the "deer in the headlight" scenes for Finn that really fell flat for me. It just seemed fakey.

The most poignant moment in the film for me was Finn's confessed motivation for leading the assault on the First Order.

Something like: I'm just here to get Rey.

And the Storm Troopers don't get light saber training. They can barely handle their primary weapon.

sooo tired of this argument.

Finn could use the Saber because of his Trooper training.

They obviously are trained in a style of combat that can be applied to light saber use.

look at this guy.

fw9ze2S.gif

see him battling Finn? PS he ends up beating finn, and Finn gets saved. Finn was likely trained on the same weapon, in the same style. Kylo also beat Finn but Rey saved his butt. So Finn can use a saber, but he's not awesome at it, but he's competent. and good enough to battle with someone who is wounded as Kylo was (plus Kylo was fighting emotionally not intelligently)

And the Storm Troopers don't get light saber training. They can barely handle their primary weapon.

They obviously are trained in a style of combat that can be applied to light saber use.

look at this guy.

fw9ze2S.gif

see him battling Finn? PS he ends up beating finn, and Finn gets saved. Finn was likely trained on the same weapon, in the same style. Kylo also beat Finn but Rey saved his butt. So Finn can use a saber, but he's not awesome at it, but he's competent. and good enough to battle with someone who is wounded as Kylo was (plus Kylo was fighting emotionally not intelligently)

Thank you

look at this guy.

fw9ze2S.gif

That's quite a stretch. Your example is one guy swinging some type of baton around that we've never seen before so now every Storm Trooper has that training? Whatever fits your narrative to make the story work for you I guess.

Why else introduce a new type of storm trooper with a new skill set? PS it's 30 years after Return and its the First Order, it's not Death Star lacky number 4523889 who hits his head on the door, who knows? I assumed when I saw that scene that it was put there for a reason, and that reason (besides looking cool) was to explain how Finn could wield a saber somewhat competently in a scene before we get to the big Finn/Rey/Ren showdown.

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Why did he say "My father has it"? His father is dead... right?

Is he still in contact with a ghost 30 years after Vader's death?

Rumors abound that Vader will appear both as a force ghost to Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode VIII. The idea is that even in death, Anakin / Vader is torn between the light and the dark.

Rumors abound that Vader will appear both as a force ghost to Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode VIII. The idea is that even in death, Anakin / Vader is torn between the light and the dark.

Anakin "The Chosen One" was not born in the normal way, so maybe he didn't die in the normal way? hm

What if no one was ever a force ghost before Anakin was born? hmhm

What if "bringing balance to the force" means balancing life and death? hmhmhm

go back a page or two and read what I posted.

I think it's STAR WARS, particularly a STAR WARS saga film, so the antagonist going in was going to be a Force user, and I'd suspect if we were confronted with someone just more amped up than Anakin and Sheev we would all be calling foul over an easy, lazy. overpowered player

If anyone is overpowered, it's Rey, as has been noted. What she was able to do to Kylo Ren with no training makes me only imagine what would happen in a duel after her training is complete. Are they setting up the villain to be the underdog? And an unlikable underdog at that? The dynamic between the two could be problematic moving forward.

- rey is luke's daughter. there's no question about this. the clues were sprinkled throughout the movie: 1) when she's chilling in the desert and puts on the fighter pilot helmet for fun. it's a rebel alliance helmet, very possibly the exact same one luke wore in IV. 2) luke's lightsaber is calling to her. she's a skywalker. 3) for you guys complaining that R2 woke up at a really convenient time, think about what happened in that scene. who walked into the room for the first time? yep, rey. JJ isn't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. his explanation that R2 just took a while to boot up or whatever is obviously a lie to protect the reveal in VIII that luke programmed R2 to run in low power mode until rey arrived. you could say that R2 was... awakened.

- speaking of awakening, those of you complaining that finn and rey defeated kylo ren too easily didn't watch the movie. first of all, finn-- who was a stormtrooper trained in combat-- held his own for about two minutes before nearly being killed. rey, on the other hand, eventually put ren on his back. how? she's just a random force-sensitive girl from jakku who's never been trained, right? wrong. the first scene that finn sees her, she gets in a fight with two or three grown men. before he can even get to her to help, she's used her staff or whatever it was to put both/all of them down. she's not just a random girl from jakku, guys. she's been trained. her vision in maz's basement may very well have not been a vision at all, but suppressed memories. someone took her to jakku, force-wiped her memory and left her. that someone is likely luke and he probably did it to protect her from ren and his knights, but we won't get the full story till VIII. fine, but i'm right about this.

- again, the movie is titled "the force awakens." things that are awakened have to first be put to sleep. if rey was only learning about the force for the first time in this movie, it would be titled "the force discovered," but it's not. the force is with rey. she's been trained. R2 in sleep mode throughout the movie is a parallel for rey in sleep mode. my favorite scene in the movie is the interrogation between ren and rey. he tries to force-pull thoughts out of her mind, but what he doesn't realize is that he's opening a door that swings both ways. suddenly the things rey is capable of start coming back to her, and she starts force-reading him. suddenly she knows who darth vader is and what the significance of that is. a random girl from jakku. come on, guys.

Rey may be Luke's daughter, but there is no way Luke placed her on Jakku for her protection. He helped created the New Republic. He couldn't find a more hospitable planet than Jakku for his daughter? That would make Luke one of the worst father's ever. Maz tells her those she is waiting for (the people who dropped her off on the planet) are not coming back for her. Maybe Luke placed her in someone else's care and they placed her on Jakku. Luke might have thought his daughter died. I just don't buy he knew she was on Jakku. But more importantly, I don't think she is Luke's daughter. Too obvious. These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

After the second viewing, it is clear Rey can see things before they happen (ala Anakin Skywalker.) She has visions of Kylo Ren, lightsaber drawn, in the snow on Starkiller base. So, her witnessing Kylo Ren taking out the Luke's fledgling Jedi's doesn't necessarily mean she was there.

I think she is powerful in the force as Kylo Ren tells Snoke. I also think she learned much of what she needed to learn when she pulled it from Kylo's mind. Nothing in the movie necessarily means she was trained in the force; all of it has other possibilities laid out in the movie.