• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

How are some people on these boards who are supposed to have a good pop culture wit about them sometimes acting as basic as the general public. :rulez:

The whole Kylo vs Rey battle not only makes sense you should be embarrassed you don't understand why it went down the exact way it did. :preach:

Here is a hint both of them are not masters of anything yet. Still trainees. :o

Which was clearly stated in the movie. Snoke asked Hux to pick up Kylo and bring him back to complete his training. Luke will probably train Rey.

This I agree with 100%.

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Why did he say "My father has it"? His father is dead... right?

Is he still in contact with a ghost 30 years after Vader's death?

It says that because it's a direct lift from Return of the Jedi. It's not a new recording.

These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

Kathleen Kennedy has reiterated that the Star Wars saga movies are and will be about a family, the Skywalkers. The Anthology movies will be used to explore other corners of the universe.

Re: odd Kylo rumors/theories

There's a lot them but I do think we are going to get something either about him or Rey that isn't what we think. I wouldn't put too much stock in even well constructed ones tho because there were people that believed Jar Jar was a Sith lord leading up to this movie.

When we find out it will no doubt be something pretty understandable. I have confidence in Johnson as a director and writer.

I watched the movie again, I really like the flip of making Han the kind of Kenobi/Wizard and not Luke. Even not considering anything else, I appreciate this film for reminding me that Harrison Ford was once watchable on screen.

I think year building up to it, we could not have imagined Ford playing a big role in new Star Wars, and I think we got everything we could have hoped for,

It says that because it's a direct lift from Return of the Jedi. It's not a new recording.

It IS a new recording. Hamill said so himself.

No, that was misreported because a lot of people don't understand anything he said (even fan film sites if that can be believed), and even he couldn't tell which one J.J. used at first he said.

Yes, he recorded again for the trailer, but the one used that everyone heard is lifted from Jedi but mixes older Hamil's voice as an echo/reverb at the end of lines after the original recording (which Hamil would be wonderful at given his voice acting prowess). The line itself though is the one lifted from Jedi, sans a small edited reordering.

What if no one was ever a force ghost before Anakin was born?

Do you mean Qui-Gon learned that quickly of the possibility of an executing it from meeting Anakin, or something else?

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Saw it yesterday and leaving the theater it was tossed out: So Rey is Luke's daughter?

I guessed: No, I think Han had a daughter he didn't know about. Kylo Ren seemed to know and dropped everything to focus on her. So maybe Leia stashed her. Had twins (they run in families) and Han arrived late, only learned about the boy. They're probably going to flip it. Have brother and sister on either side of the Force.

All speculation. But that's how it struck me. Amidala is her grandmother (who she kind of favors), Leia is her mother, Luke her uncle. And her sick twisted brother is Luke's training failure and the reason for his self-exile.

Great movie. :cloud9:

Did anyone else whose seen it twice have the experience of LOVING it much more on the second viewing?

I enjoyed it on the first viewing, but I absolutely loved it on the second viewing.

If you've only seen it once think about going back in for another viewing.

It's even better in subsequent viewings, yes.

Did anyone else whose seen it twice have the experience of LOVING it much more on the second viewing?

I enjoyed it on the first viewing, but I absolutely loved it on the second viewing.

If you've only seen it once think about going back in for another viewing.

I hated it within an hour after the first viewing for killing of Han Solo. By the next morning I thought the movie was pretty good.

I appreciated it and have a high opinion of the movie after seeing it again.

What did you think about them destroying another Death Star for the third time? I wish they would have come up with something different. Ground force trying to disable a shield while assault from above finishes the job.

Totally fits for a remnant of an old power using old iconography and trying to plus 1 it for me. I mean... I understand what everyone's sentiment is regarding the repeat, but on a logical level if I have the ability to create the most powerful military capable device I can, and I'm in a state of conflict, I will, and I will make a ton of them and keep making them. After Pearl Harbor we built more ships.

I do undertstand that logic and what makes a good movie aren't the same thing, but I also realize that there are some people who haven't seen the films, or have seen them and are young enough to think the original trilogy is similar to what I think of when I look at old SF films/tv show (for instance I don't understand why people like Lost in Space or original Trek ).

Also... while it didn't last long it certainly did some damage, wiping out the senate. Sure, these things have dumb weaknesses, but I'm not sure it's ruined any of the 3 films for me

My only complaint (minor nitpicky) was the "Chapter VII" usage.

Too much time-gap/untold story to go from 6 to 7. If it had been reading a novel that would've drove me nuts. More like: 'Book II A New Order, Chapter 1 The Force Awakens".

But, like I said: Picking nits. :)

Do you mean Qui-Gon learned that quickly of the possibility of an executing it from meeting Anakin, or something else?

No, I mean that the "vergeance in the Force" (resulting in Anakin a few years before Episode I) fundamentally changed something about the Force.

There's nothing canon with force ghosts prior to Obi Wan becoming one.

Qui-Gon was a voice after his death, but didn't disappear when he was killed.

He was a voice speaking to Anakin.

Obi Wan was able to speak to Luke after death.

Luke saw all three of Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin, at the end of Return of the Jedi.

All the other Jedi deaths as a result of Order 66 did not result in force ghosts.

Perhaps Anakin (and his bloodline) are the only ones able to communicate with dead Jedi.

Or, perhaps Anakin (his existence) changed something about the Force to allow Jedi to "linger" after death.

If so, can they only "linger" for his bloodline?

It's possibly a little like Sixth Sense.

Who can actually see force ghosts? Only Luke, so far.

Anakin could only hear Qui Gon, as far as we know.

(If Yoda could see Obi Wan's force ghost, that would change things... I remember Yoda and Obi Wan arguing about training Luke, but I don't know if Yoda could actually see Obi Wan's ghost before Yoda was dead.)

Further speculation:

If Snoke is Darth Plagueis, who has bent the will of the Force to keep himself alive when he should be dead...

...then perhaps the Force is keeping those dead light side Jedi in communication with the remaining living ones, of Anakin's bloodline... to balance out Darth Plagueis' imbalance.

Snoke (again, if he is Darth Plagueis) might recognize that Anakin's bloodline is his only true enemy.

Rumors abound that Vader will appear both as a force ghost to Rey and Kylo Ren in Episode VIII. The idea is that even in death, Anakin / Vader is torn between the light and the dark.

:whistle:

Is there a reason Snoke's left ear is damaged in the same spot Vader's helmet is damaged?

He also seems to share a scar along the forehead in the same spot.

What did you think about them destroying another Death Star for the third time? I wish they would have come up with something different. Ground force trying to disable a shield while assault from above finishes the job.

Totally fits for a remnant of an old power using old iconography and trying to plus 1 it for me. I mean... I understand what everyone's sentiment is regarding the repeat, but on a logical level if I have the ability to create the most powerful military capable device I can, and I'm in a state of conflict, I will, and I will make a ton of them and keep making them. After Pearl Harbor we built more ships.

I do undertstand that logic and what makes a good movie aren't the same thing, but I also realize that there are some people who haven't seen the films, or have seen them and are young enough to think the original trilogy is similar to what I think of when I look at old SF films/tv show (for instance I don't understand why people like Lost in Space or original Trek ).

Also... while it didn't last long it certainly did some damage, wiping out the senate. Sure, these things have dumb weaknesses, but I'm not sure it's ruined any of the 3 films for me

The question I have as counterpoint is this: What sort of weapon do you use if you don't use a planet that is a weapon? A spaceship just won't cut it at this point.

No, I mean that the "vergeance in the Force" (resulting in Anakin a few years before Episode I) fundamentally changed something about the Force.

There's nothing canon with force ghosts prior to Obi Wan becoming one.

Qui-Gon was a voice after his death, but didn't disappear when he was killed.

He was a voice speaking to Anakin.

Obi Wan was able to speak to Luke after death.

Luke saw all three of Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin, at the end of Return of the Jedi.

All the other Jedi deaths as a result of Order 66 did not result in force ghosts.

Perhaps Anakin (and his bloodline) are the only ones able to communicate with dead Jedi.

Or, perhaps Anakin (his existence) changed something about the Force to allow Jedi to "linger" after death.

If so, can they only "linger" for his bloodline?

It's possibly a little like Sixth Sense.

Who can actually see force ghosts? Only Luke, so far.

Anakin could only hear Qui Gon, as far as we know.

(If Yoda could see Obi Wan's force ghost, that would change things... I remember Yoda and Obi Wan arguing about training Luke, but I don't know if Yoda could actually see Obi Wan's ghost before Yoda was dead.)

Oh, I see why I didn't get you. What you are saying about Ben Kenobi isn't true about Force Ghosts. You have to remember that the Clone Wars cartoons are in-canon and it is Qui-gon who masters it in our era (and shows up as a Force Ghost) after learning it himself from others, and remember Yoda tells Ben (In Revenge of the Sith) he has something for him to practice - what he learned from Qui-Gon.

These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

Kathleen Kennedy has reiterated that the Star Wars saga movies are and will be about a family, the Skywalkers. The Anthology movies will be used to explore other corners of the universe.

If Rey turns out to be a Skywalker, that would be a huge disappointment. That is the obvious path for the character.

When they start the 4th trilogy, the new weapon will be able to destroy entire galaxies. That is the logical escalation of things.

When they start the 4th trilogy, the new weapon will be able to destroy entire galaxies. That is the logical escalation of things.

I don't think that would be the end of the world (no pun intended) - the way they would deal with such a megaweapon would be different than either of the previous three.