• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

Odd usually means fraud, but not always.

Sometimes strange things happen and they are legit. She obviously has the book in her possession.

Crazy things (like an uncle giving a $9k comic book as a wedding present) don't really surprise me all that much.

Perhaps if I wanted to give a gift, but didn't have the cash, I might give a comic book someday (who knows).

Thank you for the helpful replies. To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight. You guys have information that I don't, and I'd like to acquire it is all. Try being nice.

OK, so it's one character in the book, not 2 like I thought. When I type Adam Warlock instead of just Warlock, I get all sorts of data points. So this character is going to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and fight the purple dude that everybody keeps betraying in all the other Marvel movies? If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then? Cause right now, it's just maybe he'll be in movies, yes? Reading some of the sites about Adam Warlock, he seems like kind of a big deal to your hobby.

Somebody said the Twin Cities thing made it more valuable than the other books like it. How much more? And what's the premium, if any, for this one apparently being the nicest copy in all the world? And, should I eventually decide to sell it, who should I give it to to handle the auction? This doesn't seem like something I should just throw on eBay or try to handle myself, because I just don't know enough about it. So no, I'm not trying to sell it to you guys. All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

JGEq1g8.jpg

TQIDoJy.jpg

Megan,

This is very special - a very Merry Christmas and wedding may you have. Thank you for sharing with us. (thumbs u:applause:

+1

Very special indeed.

Thank you for sharing with us, Megan.

A wonderful story, and a wonderful gift.

Congratulations on your wedding.

And what a great person your uncle must be, to gift to you an item that he and your Dad treasure so greatly.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any further need for help or advice. I will do my best to help you (and sending a PM - Personal Message - would be easier than having to wade through a lot of the drivel in this thread).

:)

So, because a situation is abnormal, that's good cause to question her integrity...?

No, but it's good cause to question the situation. You're the one who introduced the concept of "integrity".

That's not correct. Others introduced the concept of "integrity" by questioning hers.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the situation. It can be done, however, without calling someone a scammer.

You don't see her as betraying the attitude of smug superiority in her ignorance? And not just to comic fans, but to anyone with expertise/interests outside of whatever her own happen to be?

So? Was she directing it at anyone in particular?

No.

Was she taking shots at anyone in particular, or even "comic fans" in general?

No.

You are titling at the wrong windmill.

So, because someone doesn't write the way you think they should, that makes it ok to internalize general comments, take them personally, and then reply personally, taking shots directly at someone, because they made general comments (and, mostly tongue-in-cheek as well) that had nothing to do with you personally?

You're making my point.

Not that it's a point worth making. There's good reason to at least be annoyed with this girl.

Here an individual admittedly disinterested in comics came here seeking info on how much she might be able to get for a comic. (Truthfully I'm never kindly predisposed to such inquiries. II suppose it's a personal prejudice of mine.) Some posters were actually kind enough to provide her with some very good information. She should have said "Thank you" and gone away. But no, she still felt compelled to respond with sarcasm to those who with good reason had questioned her account. What the hell?

(tsk)

You are an easily offended chap, who has internalized and taken personally, and thus responded personally to, that which was not personal.

That's not a good thing.

You completely ignore the quite jaded and cynical comments directed at her, comments for which she had good cause to be annoyed, and instead place the blame solely on her. To quote you: "What the hell?"

Frankly, she took the whole episode in a lot better stride than many of the regular posters here would in the same situation.

As per the usual around here, you have not closely red or understood what she said. She didn't have subsequent comments about comic fans...she had subsequent comments for those who questioned her integrity, without good cause.

1. I disagree. There was good cause. It would be bizarre for someone who treasures an object to give said object away to someone who does not. I will grant you though that strange things do happen in this world, but nonetheless I'd say there was "cause".

2. But in making those comments about those who questioned the credibility of her post, she effectively admitted to stereotyping comic book collectors:

To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight.

You have, as far too many around here do, internalized her comments and taken them personally, thus becoming offended, when nothing offensive was said to you, or to "comic fans" in general.

Or perhaps some of us were taking the side of these "socially deficient" IT guys, who are perhaps exasperated at being forced to deal with stuck-up airheads at work?

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

You know, the kind of airheads who think of people who value education as having "hangups":

He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things.

Or perhaps there's only so much valley girl talk sprinkled with sarcasm that some of us can stomach?

And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image.... And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Excuse me but for many reasons she's among the last people with whom I'd share information. You may see her as a sympathetic person, but I certainly do not.

:makepoint:

It's a very unusual gift given to her from the man standing in for her father at her wedding. And the note clearly states that the book is not only valuable and rare but also had a very personal connection to her recently deceased father. It's the most poignant and emotional comic story I've read since Gwen Stacy died in ASM 121.

Yes, she wants to know what it's worth, and yes she might sell it because she doesn't read comics, but there's clearly a sentimental link to the book and she wants to know more.

Why not give her info? She's done nothing wrong other than not getting hooked on comics as a kid.

Sure, it seems like a curious wedding gift. However, when talking about gifts, some parents give their kids an expensive car.

Have an uncle give his niece a slabbed comic and it must be a scam of some kind, apparently.

So, because a situation is abnormal, that's good cause to question her integrity...?

No, but it's good cause to question the situation. You're the one who introduced the concept of "integrity".

She was being funny. Note the use of the word "muggles."

Oh I did! In fact I had to look it up.

lol

Note the use of the word "stereotype."

Oh I did. I also noted that she introduced the concept.

If you choose to be offended by a joke about stereotypes, that's really unfortunate.

I've been accused of worse.

You have, as far too many around here do, internalized her comments and taken them personally, thus becoming offended, when nothing offensive was said to you, or to "comic fans" in general.

Or perhaps some of us were taking the side of these "socially deficient" IT guys, who are perhaps exasperated at being forced to deal with stuck-up airheads at work?

You know, the kind of airheads who think of people who value education as having "hangups":

Again, you've chosen to take personally that which was not personal. You have internalized a comment that had absolutely nothing to do with you, and taken it personally, and as a result, lashed out personally in reply.

You don't see her as betraying the attitude of smug superiority in her ignorance? And not just to comic fans, but to anyone with expertise/interests outside of whatever her own happen to be?

So, because someone doesn't write the way you think they should, that makes it ok to internalize general comments, take them personally, and then reply personally, taking shots directly at someone, because they made general comments (and, mostly tongue-in-cheek as well) that had nothing to do with you personally?

You're making my point.

Not that it's a point worth making. There's good reason to at least be annoyed with this girl.

Here an individual admittedly disinterested in comics came here seeking info on how much she might be able to get for a comic. (Truthfully I'm never kindly predisposed to such inquiries. II suppose it's a personal prejudice of mine.) Some posters were actually kind enough to provide her with some very good information. She should have said "Thank you" and gone away. But no, she still felt compelled to respond with sarcasm to those who with good reason had questioned her account. What the hell?

(tsk)

So you put more importance on her "sarcastic" reply than on the people who essentially called her a liar based on no firsthand knowledge whatsoever. Interesting.

Megan, please try to ignore Hepcat.

Merry Xmas to you as well Stu! I hope you at least find the peace, happiness, success and self-fulfillment with your loved ones that you've never found anywhere else in this world.

:)

(tsk)

So you put more importance on her "sarcastic" reply than on the people who essentially called her a liar based on no firsthand knowledge whatsoever. Interesting.

Just like you and everyone else I reserve the right to make value judgements on the basis of a person's writing, and she lost me right from the start:

...apparently the "Twin Cities" thing ties the book back to its original owner,who was some bus driver in Minnesota that died, for whatever that's worth.

Has he actually given me something nice/is it really all that rare? What is this thing worth now, supposing it really is "the nicest one in the world"? And what's the catalyst for this exploding thing he was talking about, and what is it worth then? He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things.

While none of those comments may have rubbed you the wrong way, they certainly rankled me, only one of the reasons being her exclusive focus on the gift's "value".

:facepalm: This thread makes me sad. Can't believe how horrible people can be. There should be a warning when you create an account here: "All new posters are considered guilty until proven innocent."

Great story Megan, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have a cool uncle :applause:

(tsk)

Just like you and everyone else I reserve the right to make value judgements on the basis of a person's writing, and she lost me right from the start:

...apparently the "Twin Cities" thing ties the book back to its original owner,who was some bus driver in Minnesota that died, for whatever that's worth.

Has he actually given me something nice/is it really all that rare? What is this thing worth now, supposing it really is "the nicest one in the world"? And what's the catalyst for this exploding thing he was talking about, and what is it worth then? He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things.

While none of those comments may have rubbed you the wrong way, they certainly rankled me, only one of the reasons being her exclusive focus on the gift's "value".

I would suggest not sweating the small stuff but I'm pretty sure that advice will fall on deaf ears.

You are an easily offended chap, who has internalized and taken personally, and thus responded personally to, that which was not personal.

Interesting this as a general concept/rule. So people shouldn't become annoyed with remarks not directed at them personally? So therefore if I said that "Some ignorant black man/Pollack/Mexican/Oriental/guinea/whoever stole my hubcaps", you don't think that anyone should take offence? You don't think that I might be called to account for my underlying attitudes to said group? After all, I just referred to one specific individual. I didn't say anything about anybody else.

You are an easily offended chap.... That's not a good thing.

Tell me then. Why did you choose to participate in this thread when nothing was said about you personally? Would you happen to be one of those easily offended chaps?

You completely ignore the quite jaded and cynical comments directed at her, comments for which she had good cause to be annoyed, and instead place the blame solely on her.

Like I say, I found her attitude annoying right from the first post, and I reserve the right to pick and choose with my commentary. And evidently so do you.

:preach:

I would suggest not sweating the small stuff but I'm pretty sure that advice will fall on deaf ears.

Okay. I'm willing to do that. I'll go back to my customary habit of talking about the comics I so love and appreciate in the Silver and Golden Age forums. Be nice to see you doing some of the same....

;)

So I have a follow-up question: Were I to want to actually read the book itself, is there an archival of sorts I can go to in order to do so digitally (as I'm not going to open the one I have)? My searches yielded a whole bevy of places, including Marvel itself, but all I see are new titles, not older stuff like this thing. It's my understanding from research that it's only like the last page that really has the character that makes the book so famous, but figure might as well see what it all says.

And while I appreciate some of you taking up for me against certain people, really, it's not actually going to change anyone's mind. I mean, people are trying to argue with a guy who talks about attacking, namecalling and talking without knowledge, but feels it's his right to attack & call someone else an "airhead" and an " uneducated valley girl" (oh, how his mind would be blown....) without knowledge, who overtly believes he's so entitled that he should be the one to determine whether another person is worthy to have a piece of property or who it should go to, so far as to state he'd advocate thievery/dishonesty so long as the end holder was up to his standards, and seems to view every interaction as an adversarial confrontation with sides that must be chosen. You can't change the mindset of an individual like that, trust me. Some archetypes can't increase their own social awareness, just a fact of life. Again, I oversee teams that are sprinkled with guys like him all week long - the best way to deal with that type is to either replace them if too disruptive (not possible in a discussion) or segregate them so their toxicity doesn't spread and be very subtle when one must occasionally pin some air from the balloon that is their ego.

It's Christmas week, be happy :). Glad I could share the story with those of you who found it interesting or to provide an update of sorts as to the current status/whereabouts of one of the books in your hobby that's apparently pretty revered.

It's my understanding from research that it's only like the last page that really has the character that makes the book so famous, but figure might as well see what it all says.

Glad I could share the story with those of you who found it interesting or to provide an update of sorts as to the current status/whereabouts of one of the books in your hobby that's apparently pretty revered.

Still not trying to sell the book to us... hm

Anyway, in all honestly it really isn't that important of a book and "revered" would be quite a stretch. Rare in high grade and semi-key featuring a C-list hero is probably more accurate - the pedigree is a nice bit though.

Don't get me wrong, an $8,000 present is a very nice gift for anyone (wedding or otherwise). I just would have thought all the sentimentality you have been presenting would take center-stage versus the desire to understand its resale value (especially on the incremental value of the pedigree or the clear concern of losing a cut to an auction house).

If the story is true, I hope you use the information provided to properly insure it and keep it rather than sell it. If it is your father's favorite character and your uncle is truly a collector - then $8,000 should pale in comparison to its sentimental value. However, your book, your choice.

Happy Holidays!

My personal opinion is that your uncle did a nice thing. Sorry to hear about your dad and congrats on the wedding!

It's worth what others said it was worth but I wouldn't expect to get absolute top dollar for it. I'd just expect to get somewhere in the range as auctions will have some variance in price.

If the book doesn't have sentimental value, comics can be a volatile market and are also very fragile (for example a slight bit of damage to the book from mishandling or poor storage can cut the value to half or less) so if you are not planning on being a collector, I'd probably sell it and put the money into something you are more comfortable with holding on to, whether it's a future investment, a downpayment on a house, etc. The gift would still be from your uncle.

So I have a follow-up question: Were I to want to actually read the book itself, is there an archival of sorts I can go to in order to do so digitally (as I'm not going to open the one I have)? My searches yielded a whole bevy of places, including Marvel itself, but all I see are new titles, not older stuff like this thing. It's my understanding from research that it's only like the last page that really has the character that makes the book so famous, but figure might as well see what it all says.

Marvel Masterworks or something along those lines are the way to go. The issue in question has been reprinted in a volume containing #s 61 - 70. I'm certain you could find it on eBay or Amazon for around $15 - $20.

As it happens, Warlock became one of the most fascinating characters of the Bronze Age (which began in 1970, fwiw), and the series created by Jim Starlin in particular is in my opinion one of the best comics has to offer - a space opera that raised the bar, with an excellent cast and writing. Can't recommend it enough.

Again, Marvel Masterworks or the Complete Collection has the entire run - Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, and two annuals.

Available HERE for a little over $20.

Marvel Masterworks or something along those lines are the way to go. The issue in question has been reprinted in a volume containing #s 61 - 70. I'm certain you could find it on eBay or Amazon for around $15 - $20.

As it happens, Warlock became one of the most fascinating characters of the Bronze Age (which began in 1970, fwiw), and the series created by Jim Starlin in particular is in my opinion one of the best comics has to offer - a space opera that raised the bar, with an excellent cast and writing. Can't recommend it enough.

Again, Marvel Masterworks or the Complete Collection has the entire run - Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, and two annuals.

Available HERE for a little over $20.

Start here:

Reprint #67

Then here....

Marvel Masterworks: Warlock Volume 1

Reprints: Marvel Premiere #1-2, Warlock #1-8 and Incredible Hulk #176-178

(Vol. 72 in the Marvel Masterworks Library)

First Print

Release Date: January 10, 2007

REGULAR EDITION ISBN: 0-7851-2411-X • List Price: $54.99

VARIANT EDITION ISBN: 0-7851-2471-3 • List Price: $54.99

VARIANT PRINT RUN: 1475

288 Pages

Scripted by Roy Thomas, Mike Friedrich, Ron Goulart, Gerry Conway and Tony Isabella

Penciled by Gil Kane, John Buscema, Tom Sutton, Bob Brown and Herb Trimpe

Cover by Gil Kane

Foreword by Roy Thomas

And while I appreciate some of you taking up for me against certain people, really, it's not actually going to change anyone's mind. I mean, people are trying to argue with a guy who talks about attacking, namecalling and talking without knowledge, but feels it's his right to attack & call someone else an "airhead" and an " uneducated valley girl" (oh, how his mind would be blown....) without knowledge, who overtly believes he's so entitled that he should be the one to determine whether another person is worthy to have a piece of property or who it should go to, so far as to state he'd advocate thievery/dishonesty so long as the end holder was up to his standards, and seems to view every interaction as an adversarial confrontation with sides that must be chosen. You can't change the mindset of an individual like that, trust me. Some archetypes can't increase their own social awareness, just a fact of life. Again, I oversee teams that are sprinkled with guys like him all week long - the best way to deal with that type is to either replace them if too disruptive (not possible in a discussion) or segregate them so their toxicity doesn't spread and be very subtle when one must occasionally pin some air from the balloon that is their ego.

It's Christmas week, be happy :). Glad I could share the story with those of you who found it interesting or to provide an update of sorts as to the current status/whereabouts of one of the books in your hobby that's apparently pretty revered.

Fantastic Four 66 and 67 contain a two part story that is held in very high esteem by collectors of that title..... it is well worth a read. You can pick up what we call "readers" on eBay...... these are lesser condition but still complete examples...... you could get the pair for less than a hundred.... also a title called Marvel's Greatest Comics would have reprinted them, but I'm unsure of which issues. There are also the Marvel Masterworks volumes at about $ 50 per, hardback editions..... and I believe one of them has FF 61- 70. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

What is the name of the store which offered you $500 for a $8k+ book?