• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Collectors Thread: pickups, trades, WTBs, collection pics, etc.
1 1

218 posts in this topic

This auction result made me choke on my sandwich. Yeah OK its direct from natsume and probably new in box but its not factory sealed and when the eff did this game become a big deal? (last couple years apparently, to answer my own question). Just weird to me as the sequel was always the rare one.

1700 for a reseal? WTF.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocky-Rocky-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Brand-NEW-/321955271270?hash=item4af6079266%3Ag%3AsyEAAOSw3KFWeE2j&nma=true&si=khwL106EvRlb5%252FIara7vGnO0HAA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rmvSB=true

Not sure if you realize, or if this is totally obvious, but there are two of these pocky and rocky games; its the sequel that's close to 200 loose. This one is more like 100 loose - lots of completed auctions at +/- 100.

That was the reason for my double shock at 1700 bucks... it wasn't even the much more desirable sequel, it was the first one. :o and not even factory sealed :o :o :o

a little digging on ebay shows me three months ago a kind of mehh copy of the sequel factory sealed at 1100, more in line with what I'd expect, and I remember a copy that was nicer (again of the sequel) at around 2k. Those numbers are crazy enough given the sequel was like 200 bucks factory sealed say six years ago (10x growth) but when its the first one, and not factory... well dang.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocky-Rocky-2-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Brand-New-Factory-Sealed-Pocky-and-Rocky-2-/301794212919?hash=item4644563c37%3Ag%3Ae4wAAOSwQoFWQAu8&nma=true&si=khwL106EvRlb5%252FIara7vGnO0HAA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Oh wow. Didn't even look that closely. My brain immediately assumed it was the sequel.

Yeah, that makes zero sense.

Let's see if lightning strikes twice for them....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocky-Rocky-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Brand-NEW-Natsume-/321974336637?hash=item4af72a7c7d:g:UgcAAOSwL7VWlTkW

Question about SNES:

Since I buy more from the newer generation of games (PS1, Dreamcast) I know that a lot of the games, some of the tougher ones, are regional exclusive, like released just in Japan. Is that prevalent with SNES, or perhaps do they have the same game with different art?

Like in Japan a lot of the real popular RPGs are exclusives. (and there's been somewhat of a JPRG renaissance as of late.

Well, you seem to have a few questions kind of lumped in together, let me see if I can pull them apart to give you a more meaningful answer

"some of the tougher ones, are regional exclusive, like released just in Japan. Is that prevalent with SNES"

- generally speaking everything got released in japan, and only a subset of that made it to north america /europe. 1400+ titles in japan, only 700+ in NA. However there isn't much crossover collecting wise, the price of the north american version is usually at least partly independent from the price of the japanese release (loose carts) and in better condition (CIB/sealed) totally divorced therefrom. Same with the euro versions.

"or perhaps do they have the same game with different art"

- in game art, or box art? The box art was normally but not always revised for the north american market. The in game graphics were the same apart from translating the text and such.

"Like in Japan a lot of the real popular RPGs are exclusives"

From the POV of the north american snes market, exclusives don't drive much of the market. The market for north american, japanese, european games are mostly all separate - separate games going to separate buyers. There are a few exclusives to certain markets that are valuable because they only came out in a small market - for example, Whirlo only came out in Spain accounting for its high price and desirability amongst euro collectors, but those are the real exception and not the rule at all.

Well, you seem to have a few questions kind of lumped in together, let me see if I can pull them apart to give you a more meaningful answer

"some of the tougher ones, are regional exclusive, like released just in Japan. Is that prevalent with SNES"

- generally speaking everything got released in japan, and only a subset of that made it to north america /europe. 1400+ titles in japan, only 700+ in NA. However there isn't much crossover collecting wise, the price of the north american version is usually at least partly independent from the price of the japanese release (loose carts) and in better condition (CIB/sealed) totally divorced therefrom. Same with the euro versions.

- in game art, or box art? The box art was normally but not always revised for the north american market. The in game graphics were the same apart from translating the text and such.

From the POV of the north american snes market, exclusives don't drive much of the market. The market for north american, japanese, european games are mostly all separate - separate games going to separate buyers. There are a few exclusives to certain markets that are valuable because they only came out in a small market - for example, Whirlo only came out in Spain accounting for its high price and desirability amongst euro collectors, but those are the real exception and not the rule at all.

Thanks, good info :applause:

With Dreamcast and PS1 (and I'd suspect the same for successive Sony and Sega releases) you often have different art (for instance, a major title like Final Fantasy 7). Some of them are completely different and others may just have a different colored backgrounds.

I tend to hunt for both the North American and Japanese releases, and will grab a Euro if I run into it and it's my specific collecting vertical.

I might have to hunt for some Japanese SNES then, thanks :cloud9:

With Dreamcast and PS1 (and I'd suspect the same for successive Sony and Sega releases) you often have different art (for instance, a major title like Final Fantasy 7). Some of them are completely different and others may just have a different colored backgrounds.

I tend to hunt for both the North American and Japanese releases, and will grab a Euro if I run into it and it's my specific collecting vertical.

Or you can have the best of both worlds and get the US translation of a Japanese exclusive SNES game, complete with repro box and manual. Timewalk games has done some, so has Rose Colored Gaming. A lot of collectors don't think much of them (like Bronty :P) but I think the homebrew/translation/repro thing is pretty amazing. Some people go to great lengths to create quality box and manual art....and it's more fun than playing on emulator.

Terranigma is a popular one, as an example. Here's an unboxing video someone posted on Youtube:

Or you can have the best of both worlds and get the US translation of a Japanese exclusive SNES game, complete with repro box and manual. Timewalk games has done some, so has Rose Colored Gaming. A lot of collectors don't think much of them (like Bronty :P) but I think the homebrew/translation/repro thing is pretty amazing. Some people go to great lengths to create quality box and manual art....and it's more fun than playing on emulator.

Terranigma is a popular one, as an example. Here's an unboxing video someone posted on Youtube:

Thanks for the info! I'm half japanese though so both worlds are the best for me! I could see myself grabbing one if it was unique and fit into a very specific target for me though, but not as a placeholder, more of an accessory.

Or you can have the best of both worlds and get the US translation of a Japanese exclusive SNES game, complete with repro box and manual. Timewalk games has done some, so has Rose Colored Gaming. A lot of collectors don't think much of them (like Bronty :P)

Barf. :sick: Yeah sorry brah they are not for me to say the least - if you want to play the game you can get a rom or whatever, if you want to collect, you can collect the genuine article not something made in somebody's garage 20 years later 2c That's my POV ("worst of both worlds") but I don't begrudge you or the others that like them, they just aren't for me.

I'm more a game collector than player but I downloaded and tried gunstar heroes for genesis last night and it is BADASS. Kind of like contra on amphetamines - frantic action.

Give it a whirl if you haven't tried the game (or genesis in general - my 2nd(?) time playing genesis anything. Very pleasantly surprised.

Sort of. There is price charting, but it requires interpretation (graded versus not, resealed versus not, qualified grades versus not). It just points to completed ebay auctions and now that those go stale so quickly, you rarely get to see the completed auction to see if any other factors (good/bad copy, good/bad seller etc) were involved.

That said, there is a price list by console. Here is the NES one

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/nes?sort-by=name

If you click on an individual title (say contra) you get this sort of page, with three tabs: loose, CIB, new. Pick new and then look for VGA (equivalent of CGC) results.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nes/contra#completed-auctions-new

You absolutely have to go into the details and not trust the site's 'summary' number as it averages all sort of garbage data points.

For example, Clu Clu Land is one of the rarest titles sealed. Value depends on timing/condition/ other factors but to say its 5k minimum is underselling it.

Anyways, the site summarizes the new price as $485

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nes/clu-clu-land

based on a couple bad data points for loose prototypes and a 2012 reseal. No good data points because its that rare legitimately sealed.

Where or what title are you looking at? Just curious.

Graded games are a small market compared to graded comics, for sure. After all these are generally 80s and up items only, with only a tiny percentage of copies in gradeable condition. If finding a sealed clu clu land is like finding a 50s pre code horror book in 9.0, how are you ever going to have many copies graded? They just don't exist in big numbers, or haven't been found in big numbers as of 2016.

I don't see that as a negative or a positive, just a fact. 80s and 90s sealed games are generally scarcer and more expensive than their 80s and 90s comics counterparts. What makes them more valuable also makes them less available to purchase - the rare titles anyways. You didn't save them unopened in bags and boards - you ripped open the packages as fast as you could.

Great thread!

I hate the collecting bug...found this searching the boards for NES threads because I'm about to sell my NES collection...now I'm thinking twice.

I will take any TMNT games you have