• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Collectors Thread: pickups, trades, WTBs, collection pics, etc.
1 1

218 posts in this topic

This thread needs a bump. Here's a good old mega man. This version of the box is the first version and as a result incredibly tough sealed (2 on the census).

mm_zps88f22b27.jpg

What denotes that it's the first version of the box?

I have a copy, nowhere near as nice, so I'm curious.

That big blue sticker, basically.

If your copy has been opened it will get a bit of a bump for being the first version, but not that much - opened copies in whatever version aren't so unusual. Its as a sealed copy that the first versions are so tough.

Nice games Bronty. That mega man cover art is so awful it reminds me why I passed on it as a kid. Ended up getting it in a trade with a friend for comics believe it or not. :insane:

Its been said a million times, but yeah its laughably bad.

I spoke to the ex VP of capcom a few times and purchased some OA that had been hanging in his home.

If you look at the chronology of the capcom releases and their art, all the titles that predate mega man (like ghosts n goblins) used art from Japan.

Mega man was the first title where the US was on its own to produce their own art. Well... they figured that out 24 hours from when it was supposed to ship.

So they had a friend of a friend of an employee who wasn't even a 'real' illustrator brew up a pot of coffee and they cranked out that turd out on a divine combination of sleep deprivation, lack of skill, and almost no time to do the job.

Hence the results.

That big blue sticker, basically.

If your copy has been opened it will get a bit of a bump for being the first version, but not that much - opened copies in whatever version aren't so unusual. Its as a sealed copy that the first versions are so tough.

No big blue sticker for me. That game was my white whale growing up. I LOVED Mega Man, started playing with Mega Man 2. As a kid I searched high and low for a copy of Mega Man. I never even saw a copy, no retailers, no rental stores, no second hand stores, nothing. Finally got a decent complete copy during the early days of eBay. It's one of the last things I'd ever sell. :cloud9:

Nice games Bronty. That mega man cover art is so awful it reminds me why I passed on it as a kid. Ended up getting it in a trade with a friend for comics believe it or not. :insane:

Its been said a million times, but yeah its laughably bad.

I spoke to the ex VP of capcom a few times and purchased some OA that had been hanging in his home.

If you look at the chronology of the capcom releases and their art, all the titles that predate mega man (like ghosts n goblins) used art from Japan.

Mega man was the first title where the US was on its own to produce their own art. Well... they figured that out 24 hours from when it was supposed to ship.

So they had a friend of a friend of an employee who wasn't even a 'real' illustrator brew up a pot of coffee and they cranked out that turd out on a divine combination of sleep deprivation, lack of skill, and almost no time to do the job.

Hence the results.

Interesting story. I hated that Mega Man cover. A true pos. A friend of mine was drawing comics back in I believe Middle School could have made a better cover. Even I could have back then.

I don't know why I picked up the game back in the day as in most cases I purchased because of the cover artwork. Maybe Capcom released a few games before or I was familiar with the pattern behind the Mega Man art and knew some of the games were good like Trojan and Ghosts n Goblins.

I don't get the whole buying video games and not opening them thing. At least comics you can read before you slab them.

Its a derivative of collectible toys. The most valuable toys are the ones still in mint sealed condition (that were never played with or opened.) There was a slabbed/sealed G1 Megatron 1st series edition that just sold for $18K something on ebay. You can get a nice condition open/used one for $100.

For me personally there is a tremendous thrill for certain toys and video games when I come across them in sealed unopened condition. Back in the 80's some of the toys I collected and especially the very early adopting Atari 2600 games were very difficult to find in the stores at that point in time. Finding them now in new sealed condition so many years later is something some folks are willing to pay a big premium for to re-live and experience those moments.

I don't get the whole buying video games and not opening them thing. At least comics you can read before you slab them.

Its a derivative of collectible toys. The most valuable toys are the ones still in mint sealed condition (that were never played with or opened.) There was a slabbed/sealed G1 Megatron 1st series edition that just sold for $18K something on ebay. You can get a nice condition open/used one for $100.

For me personally there is a tremendous thrill for certain toys and video games when I come across them in sealed unopened condition. Back in the 80's some of the toys I collected and especially the very early adopting Atari 2600 games were very difficult to find in the stores at that point in time. Finding them now in new sealed condition so many years later is something some folks are willing to pay a big premium for to re-live and experience those moments.

Ouch on that Megatron price. But yeah the few of these that are still sealed will go for a lot. Especially if it's become popular or was rare to begin with. I don't get into the grading of games though. I need to check out the company that does it to see how it works. I assume it's fairly pointless with modern games, even rare ones, since they aren't in cardboard boxes though.

...especially the very early adopting Atari 2600 games were very difficult to find in the stores at that point in time. Finding them now in new sealed condition so many years later is something some folks are willing to pay a big premium for to re-live and experience those moments.

...let's hope so in this case. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Game-Program-Cartridge-1981-Superman-CX2631-MIB-New-SEALED-/222087171843?hash=item33b56d4f03:g:tfYAAOSwUUdXEAwu

Hi Everyone, As some of you may know I've been trying to learn more about the artists behind some of the classic images on 80s and 90s videogame boxes. When I started 8 years ago there was literally nothing on the internet. Through a lot of time and effort I was able to find information on some of these artists, and with director Rob McCallum and lots of other talented people, we are putting together a documentary to finally tell the story of this art and give these incredibly talented artists their long overdue credit. Please support our kickstarter! And, if you have ideas for the film, please feel free to share. Obviously only a few can be acted on. thanks in advance! Click here:

Hi Everyone, As some of you may know I've been trying to learn more about the artists behind some of the classic images on 80s and 90s videogame boxes. When I started 8 years ago there was literally nothing on the internet. Through a lot of time and effort I was able to find information on some of these artists, and with director Rob McCallum and lots of other talented people, we are putting together a documentary to finally tell the story of this art and give these incredibly talented artists their long overdue credit. Please support our kickstarter! And, if you have ideas for the film, please feel free to share. Obviously only a few can be acted on. thanks in advance! Click here:

Whoa, coolness! I caught his NES-doc on Amazon recently... good stuff! :takeit:

Thanks for the link! (thumbs u