• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4084

B and C has nothing to do with whether or not they can be graded. In fact it means they have been graded.

Again, from my reading, CGC did receive and appraise some of their books, but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted. All of this occurred while CGC was deciding whether or not to stop accepting submissions from them with that kind of work altogether which was ultimately rendered moot when igb started giving everything to Voldy anyway.

-J.

I'm not going to keep doing this, because you clearly get so entrenched in your hate campaigns that nothing can be done. It irks me how after you're proven to be in the wrong, you keep perpetuating the problem. Don't even expect apologies from you, just asked you to stop. This latest post hedges a bit, so atleast I'm happy to see that.

Why does it matter if he favors one company over another??

It doesn't!!

I think there are two broader issues here.

The first is getting books graded and choosing between the purveyors of this service. Each of us takes a position....consider four basic categories:

Position A - I like company A so I'll quietly use them

Position B - I like company A so I'll use only them and tell everyone who wants to hear how much I like them

Position C - I like company A so I'll use only them and publicize this to mass audiences, using facts and my opinions to try and steer business to one company

Position D - I like company A so I'll blatantly slander their company, practices and methodology at every opportunity and express other people's views (even if incorrectly) in such a way that furthers my cause, regardless of the consequences

All I'm saying is that position D is highly inappropriate. Wouldn't you agree?

The other issue at hand is dealing with restored books and the whole "should they have a different color label, what kind of resto is acceptable, etc". This is where I feel that a consistency in overarching methodology helps the hobby more broadly.

Welcome your feedback Brock.

B and C has nothing to do with whether or not they can be graded. In fact it means they have been graded.

Again, from my reading, CGC did receive and appraise some of their books, but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted. All of this occurred while CGC was deciding whether or not to stop accepting submissions from them with that kind of work altogether which was ultimately rendered moot when igb started giving everything to Voldy anyway.

-J.

I'm not going to keep doing this, because you clearly get so entrenched in your hate campaigns that nothing can be done. It irks me how after you're proven to be in the wrong, you keep perpetuating the problem. Don't even expect apologies from you, just asked you to stop. This latest post hedges a bit, so atleast I'm happy to see that.

It doesn't!!

The first is getting books graded and choosing between the purveyors of this service. Each of us takes a position....consider four basic categories:

Position B - I like company A so I'll use only them and tell everyone who wants to hear how much I like them

Position C - I like company A so I'll use only them and publicize this to mass audiences, using facts and my opinions to try and steer business to one company

Position D - I like company A so I'll blatantly slander their company, practices and methodology at every opportunity and express other people's views (even if incorrectly) in such a way that furthers my cause, regardless of the consequences

The other issue at hand is dealing with restored books and the whole "should they have a different color label, what kind of resto is acceptable, etc". This is where I feel that a consistency in overarching methodology helps the hobby more broadly.

I don't think that Jay was taking position D as you are saying. I think that he's interpreting Matt's comments as he sees them and is expressing them. Maybe he's right or maybe he's not. I certainly don't see any libelous comments that would cause irreparable harm to CBCS. I think they're doing a fine job themselves and certainly don't need anyone harming their reputation.

There are many reason I do not submit to CBCS (and probably never will).

As for some sort of standardization within the restoration market, I lol at that b/c we all operate in a capitalistic society that allows private markets to police themselves, provided no illegal activity is happening.

Like jimjim said, you don't like it, move on.

-J.

This is stil shocking me.

''but igb did not like the results so they decided to pull them from CGC and send them to the more accommodating CBCS which obviously gave them the labels they wanted''

If you can show me where igb put that they did not like the results then I will stay permanantly quiet. How people feel so free to put statements on here which are guess work at best like others reading are thick is still as I put ...... shocking me.

It's shocking to me that any of this would be shocking to you. I remember my first chat board...

I remember your first post.

I can't remember his first username?? lol

I can't either. I was referring to his post above.

:gossip: Stupidman

Position E - I don't like a particular board member so anytime he makes a comment about any company I will accuse him of Position D.

matterus023's convincing posts have swayed my opinion! Yes! It's true!

I now realize that I love Matt and Emily's brilliant new cutting edge restoration techniques and I want to learn more about them. I'm a dealer after all, and I want to get in on this tremendous money making opportunity. I can now see the future, and the future is IGB CORP!

Matt and Emily,

Could you please explain in more detail some of the exciting new processes you employ? In particular I would love to know more about removing trimming. That you guys are able to achieve this is simply amazing and I think we all would like to understand it better. Is this done with leaf-casting, or do you simply buff out the trimmed area so there is no longer a flat edge to indicate that trimming took place? However you hide it, the results are incredible.

I am also very curious about these fixatives and color coatings you use post-color touch up. Is it simply methyl cellulose or is there some other mystery component that allows this coating to create such a sheen that all of the underlying defects are hidden by the gloss? Again, the results you achieve with this process are astounding and I imagine most hobbyists would love to hear more about them.

Once again, congratulations on your success, welcome to the boards, and keep up the good work!

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

I now realize that I love Matt and Emily's brilliant new cutting edge restoration techniques and I want to learn more about them. I'm a dealer after all, and I want to get in on this tremendous money making opportunity. I can now see the future, and the future is IGB CORP!

Matt and Emily,

Could you please explain in more detail some of the exciting new processes you employ? In particular I would love to know more about removing trimming. That you guys are able to achieve this is simply amazing and I think we all would like to understand it better. Is this done with leaf-casting, or do you simply buff out the trimmed area so there is no longer a flat edge to indicate that trimming took place? However you hide it, the results are incredible.

I am also very curious about these fixatives and color coatings you use post-color touch up. Is it simply methyl cellulose or is there some other mystery component that allows this coating to create such a sheen that all of the underlying defects are hidden by the gloss? Again, the results you achieve with this process are astounding and I imagine most hobbyists would love to hear more about them.

Once again, congratulations on your success, welcome to the boards, and keep up the good work!

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

:luhv:

Matt and Emily,

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

:popcorn: I am still waiting for my breathmints :hi:

Position E - I don't like a particular board member so anytime he makes a comment about any company I will accuse him of Position D.

We're all certainly able to voice opinions here, I was reacting to what I thought was more than that, was certainly not position E in my mind.

My concern is the broader impact of where these conversations go, but given the last couple of posts, it would seem that I've overreacted.

To that end I apologize (mostly to jaydog as my comments were dominantly aimed at him). Let's just continue to allow facts to influence where these discussions go as much as possible.

Thanks

Matt and Emily,

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

You know this is a "game changer".....

so treading lightly .....smart...

-J.

It doesn't!!

I don't think that Jay was taking position D as you are saying. I think that he's interpreting Matt's comments as he sees them and is expressing them. Maybe he's right or maybe he's not. I certainly don't see any libelous comments that would cause irreparable harm to CBCS. I think they're doing a fine job themselves and certainly don't need anyone harming their reputation.

There are many reason I do not submit to CBCS (and probably never will).

As for some sort of standardization within the restoration market, I lol at that b/c we all operate in a capitalistic society that allows private markets to police themselves, provided no illegal activity is happening.

Like jimjim said, you don't like it, move on.

Fair enough (though the last piece is unnecessary, I'm discussing a point I feel important to the hobby).

also, Wny lol at the concept of a governing body? They exist in capitalistic societies everywhere, the question is what level of authority could they have and what would their charter be. For example, the AICPA, one that should sit close?). Purpose of such a body could be to further the success of comics, grading comics, collecting comics, etc, through a set of rules for how those that compete for business in the industry.

We're all certainly able to voice opinions here, I was reacting to what I thought was more than that, was certainly not position E in my mind.

My concern is the broader impact of where these conversations go, but given the last couple of posts, it would seem that I've overreacted.

To that end I apologize (mostly to jaydog as my comments were dominantly aimed at him). Let's just continue to allow facts to influence where these discussions go as much as possible.

Thanks

(thumbs u

I think what you want (and what many also want) isn't feasible unless you had one governing body making the decisions regarding graded collectibles.

Unfortunately this will never happen. And I don't believe it should b/c unchecked monopolistic powers are never good for the consumer.

That being said, as much transparency as possible is fantastic. Although as someone who does not dabble in restored books, it means very little to me. But I can see how others will benefit from as much information being in the marketplace.

Thanks

Gladly accepted. Thanks Joey.

-J.

Matt and Emily,

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

I'm not sure if your playing with me lol

Matt and Emily,

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

I am ;)

Matt and Emily,

Your new pal,

Richard Evans

I am ;)

O ooooooooo. Richard you could also ask other restorers how the trimmed becomes untrimmed as others have done this successfully. I bet Matt Nelson would be able to tell you in full :-)

Anyway Happy New year to all and I enjoyed this heated debate from start to finish

Oh I completely agree you can't actually untrim a comic that has been trimmed. But on the label it isn't noted. Like I mentioned earlier this is dangerous as someone could buy say a slight to moderate untrimmed which would read, slight/moderate pieces added and try to undo the work. If you didn't look into it properly you would buy it and then realise that by taking off the resto you are left with a trimmed comic