• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

The only statistic that has ever really mattered is how many of those were 2nd and 3rd time viewers. I don't know of any movie/franchise that enjoys the benefit of repeat viewers like Star Wars, and wouldn't be suprised if the average turns out to be closer to 5x people will have watched TLJ before the New Year.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

How much longer?

I can stop visiting the thread til Tuesday keep on, don’t let me stop you

Just seems a little inconsiderate since you were one who felt the need to almost create a second thread because of this. The movie was just released less than 72 hours ago

8 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

you were one who felt the need to almost create a second thread because of this

I asked that question during defense of someone posting spoilers, as in "do we really need to start two threads for every show and movie"

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

The only statistic that has ever really mattered is how many of those were 2nd and 3rd time viewers. I don't know of any movie/franchise that enjoys the benefit of repeat viewers like Star Wars, and wouldn't be suprised if the average turns out to be closer to 5x people will have watched TLJ before the New Year.

While I watched TFA twice at the cinema I won't be watching this garbage again. No repeat viewing from me.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:25 AM, kdoginohio said:

as for #5.

Reveal hidden contents

Anakin's mom was a nobody.

Solid point.

I'll add in I think the apparent #nerdrage against this movie is hilarious.

I loved it, and I loved it primarily because they took risks with the storytelling and threw in a few unexpected twists I didn't see coming -- and I'm a ridiculous Star Wars nerd.

I loved, for instance that:

Spoiler

After the build-up of the last film, Luke just threw away the lightsaber

Spoiler

That, after his seeming redemption and fighting side-by-side with her, Ren again tries to woo Rey to the dark side

Spoiler

Most importantly, I loved that Rey's parent's turned out to be (supposedly) no one of consequence. That positions the story going forward with the widest possible aperture -- the broadest range of possibilities.

And to those who may have been pissed that she's not a Kenobi, a Skywalker or even a Solo -- which I thought was hinted at in this film through Kylo and Rey's force bond -- why are we even trusting Kylo's assertion?

It's _highly_ likely he was lying to her about her parents, just another step in his attempts at manipulation.

Rian Johnson even mentions as much here: http://collider.com/the-last-jedi-reys-parents-explained-rian-johnson/#images.

I get it. 

Hardcore nerds may be pizzed like comic fans were with a certain twist in Iron Man 3. But for me, that twist *made* that movie.

If a small proportion of Star Wars nerds were pissed at some of the choices made in this film, they need to get over it -- for me it was a far superior film to TFA, and I can't wait to see the next chapter.

Spoiler

I even love how in The Last Jedi a primary trailer led us to believe Leia would die, only for her to live and Luke to die instead -- despite ample opportunity for them to change the story to kill her off in post once Carrie Fisher passed.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fisher will now appear in the next chapter, through a combination of unused footage and digital techniques -- to resolve Leia's story.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Solid point.

I'll add in I think the apparent #nerdrage against this movie is hilarious.

I loved it, and I loved it primarily because they took risks with the storytelling and threw in a few unexpected twists I didn't see coming -- and I'm a ridiculous Star Wars nerd.

I loved, for instance that:

Hide contents

After the build-up of the last film, Luke just threw away the lightsaber

Hide contents

That, after his seeming redemption and fighting side-by-side with her, Ren again tries to woo Rey to the dark side

Hide contents

Most importantly, I loved that Rey's parent's turned out to be (supposedly) no one of consequence. That positions the story going forward with the widest possible aperture -- the broadest range of possibilities.

And to those who may have been pissed that she's not a Kenobi, a Skywalker or even a Solo -- which I thought was hinted at in this film through Kylo and Rey's force bond -- why are we even trusting Kylo's assertion?

It's _highly_ likely he was lying to her about her parents, just another step in his attempts at manipulation.

Rian Johnson even mentions as much here: http://collider.com/the-last-jedi-reys-parents-explained-rian-johnson/#images.

I get it. 

Hardcore nerds may be pizzed like comic fans were with a certain twist in Iron Man 3. But for me, that twist *made* that movie.

If a small proportion of Star Wars nerds were pissed at some of the choices made in this film, they need to get over it -- for me it was a far superior film to TFA, and I can't wait to see the next chapter.

Hide contents

I even love how in The Last Jedi a primary trailer led us to believe Leia would die, only for her to live and Luke to die instead -- despite ample opportunity for them to change the story to kill her off in post once Carrie Fisher passed.

There's no doubt in my mind that Fisher will now appear in the next chapter, through a combination of unused footage and digital techniques -- to resolve Leia's story.

Well said!

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but in my small circle of friends, the reviews came in as "mixed" (myself) to extreme visceral hate by at least two 40+ year old Star Wars nerds that I know.  I can't find a single person I know in my personal social circles, either through Facebook or the conversations I've had the last few days so said they flat out liked it.   I thought I was being too critical of the film, and then I came to find that my buddies were far more in the Hate camp than I would've believed possible.

One even told me it was the worst movie he ever saw, and not just the worst Star Wars movie, but the worst movie, period.  After I heard his litany of reasons and arguments why he felt the way he did, I came to realize I had been a lot more forgiving of the movie than I first thought.

I don't believe this movie is going to have the legs of TFA, because a certain percentage just won't go back to see it, but I guess we'll find out.  

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

25 minutes ago, drotto said:

Yea I posted this earlier and removed it. I thought I would wait to see how things played out and see if it was true first.

7 minutes ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but in my small circle of friends, the reviews came in as "mixed" (myself) to extreme visceral hate by at least two 40+ year old Star Wars nerds that I know.  I can't find a single person I know in my personal social circles, either through Facebook or the conversations I've had the last few days so said they flat out liked it.   I thought I was being too critical of the film, and then I came to find that my buddies were far more in the Hate camp than I would've believed possible.

One even told me it was the worst movie he ever saw, and not just the worst Star Wars movie, but the worst movie, period.  After I heard his litany of reasons and arguments why he felt the way he did, I came to realize I had been a lot more forgiving of the movie than I first thought.

I don't believe this movie is going to have the legs of TFA, because a certain percentage just won't go back to see it, but I guess we'll find out.  

Most of the movie I thought was great. But now I know what Annie Wilkes feels like.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

They made a decent movie that at the same time spit on Luke Skywalker.  If you have no problem with that, I don't know what to say. It makes me ill thinking about it.    

Edited by Werner_Von_Doom

9 minutes ago, Rip said:
23 minutes ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Most of the movie I thought was great. But now I know what Annie Wilkes feels like.

lol

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I don't completely believe this.

In fact, one Facebook user with the page “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and Fanboys” is laying claim to creating bot accounts that are hacking into the Rotten Tomatoes user score for Last Jedi. 

So some folks coding bots overwhelmed the scoring sites? Yet even from our tiny sample here, we are seeing movie-goers that just did not care for this movie. I can see that expanding out to hard-core Star Wars fans and a portion of general audiences.

I do think it's interesting that if DC movie fans state some of the scoring sites were influenced by others, they are told to take their tin hats off. But if it happens to a Disney property, why - there must be a conspiracy. How else could this have happened?

Do they make those tin hats with mouse ears?

I think what happens to this franchise and with the marvel movies vs the Dc ones is that “horn and halo” effect

marvel/Disney is more forgiven yet DC isn’t at all. All of this is due to the perception that has been created by the fans, critics and websites, along with your personal experience with their products/movies etc

like someone earlier said. You aren’t as critical because we’ll they’ve delivered this or that and you’ll forgive this and that as a result. 

Edited by jsilverjanet

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think what happens to this franchise and with the marvel movies vs the Dc ones is that “horn and halo” effect

marvel/Disney is more forgiven yet DC isn’t at all. All of this is due to the perception that has been created by the fans, critics and websites, along with your personal experience with their products/movies etc

like someone earlier said. You aren’t as critical because we’ll they’ve delivered this or that and you’ll forgive this and that as a result. 

I don't know.  If a pizza place I've used faithfully for years gives me a pizza with a turd on it, I'm still going to complain.  

The real question is, will you continue to use that pizza place even after the turd episode?  You certainly wouldn't if that was your first time...because it would also be the last.  (Fool me once, shame on you...)  

But, if they just really screwed up the one time, and the other hundred times were great, you may be inclined to look past it (Brand loyalty). 

That is, until, you realize the turd wasn't a mistake, and they really don't care whether you come back or not because they have a line a miles long out their door (Disney).

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

And to those who may have been pissed that she's not a Kenobi, a Skywalker or even a Solo

I'm not pissed that it's looking like she's not of their lines, I'm pissed that The Force Awakens had multiple hints that she WAS of their lines and it turned out they may have been just empty teases.  Rian Johnson explicitly says in your linked article that Kylo wasn't lying, that he really did believe what he was telling her.  Whether or not it's true is a separate thing, but that's the truth as it stands for now.

But I still don't get that long Leia hug when she met Rey for the very first time in Force Awakens, so it may turn out Kylo misinterpreted what he saw in Rey's mind.

Just watched this and I like it better than TFA.  The only bummer was .  It seemed so pointless and he's the best thing about the movie anyway.  Why couldn't they keep that character for the next movie... now I don't really care as much about the new characters so I may not watch movie 9. 

Spoiler

Luke dying