• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Googling it I see some people saying this, others saying that Jedi CAN use it, but their creed is to use the Force for defense only, so they choose not to project lightning.

Right, it's a Sith technique, Jedi don't use dark side powers. So they don't train in them or use them. It's obvious Mace Windu and Yoda know about them and have trained to counter them but they don't learn to use them. 

I would wager it's because they'd have to open themselves to the dark side to tap into that power. 

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Scott Mendelson's got a new post up that addresses the #nerdrage - 'The Last Jedi' Is Doomed To Be The 'Iron Man 3' Of 'Star Wars'

He speaks my mind on several points:

First, calling Iron Man 3's twist "brilliant" and "subversive" (agreed - I thought it _made_ that movie); and highlighting that it went on to gross $1.2 billion worldwide.

Those are two words I had no idea were synonyms for "hot garbage". 

Iron Man 3 aside:

The issues with the Mandarin twist does not even get into the running subplot of Iron Man 3, in which he's so traumatized by the alien invasion in Avengers 1 that he builds a giant army of Iron Man armors that can fight along side him in order to help protect the planet for when the next threat to humanity arises, then destroys them all because his girlfriend gets mad at him, which necessitates him trying to find a different way to solve the problem of global catastrophe/invasion by creating Ultron which becomes its own global catastrophe/invasion that he was seeking to prevent.

So, in retrospect...it's all Pepper's fault. 

10 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I believe in the wipes out expanded universe canon Luke did it and was considered a gray Jedi move aside from Sith.

Never paid any attention to the EU. 

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

either he hasn't seen many, or he's the world's worst critic.  this from someone who thinks last jedi is "just okay."

Personally, I agree.  I thought my buddy was being a little hyperbolic with his statement.  But he did say he'd never, ever see it again, and I have to say, I believe his conviction.

3 minutes ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Personally, I agree.  I thought my buddy was being a little hyperbolic with his statement.  But he did say he'd never, ever see it again, and I have to say, I believe his conviction.

And he's obviously never seen "The Spirit". If TLJ set him off that badly then The Spirit would have his head explode. 

1 minute ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

To be fair - I saw The Phantom Menace opening night in Tokyo - and it was probably the biggest cinematic let-down of my life.

Haven't seen it since.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - but that was later in the film. 

Up until that point it begged the question of why/how they were connected.

If I recall correctly, the only similar connection we'd seen of that nature was with Luke and Leia in Empire, when Luke was holding onto the weather vane in Cloud City.

So throughout the whole first half of this film (until Snoke's revelation) it's implied that the strength of their connection might be due to blood ties. 

I really didn't deconstruct this, but here lies another massive problem with the whole scenario:

Snoke still wanted to know where Skywalker was, and was perfectly willing to torture Rey to get at that info, yet he was responsible for creating the mind-bridge between Rey and Ben?  This seemed like the most useless force power of all, except Snoke also had the ability to manipulate Rey's thoughts, but no way to actually glean any useful info on where that planet was that Luke is on?  I don't know...it just seemed the Force is convenient to the story when it needs to be, and utterly useless when it doesn't.

17 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Sheesh, since when did this site become TheForce.net? Lots of "my headcanon was raped" bile being spewed about a great movie. 

I guess some in the media also had some issues with this um..."great" movie. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8ir66M5XU

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Even actors have amazingly emotional memories of the original Star Wars trilogy. Adam Scott about cries when Mark Hamill steps out.

I love watching this video.  I have to say, Tom Hanks is a national treasure... but Mark Hamill is right up there in terms of an actor who truly enjoys everything about what it means to be a big part of pop culture.  He knows how meaningful the Star Wars films are to people and his character in particular is, and in every interview you ever see.. he never EVER takes that for granted.  It's really quite wonderful to see.   He's like this with the Batman stuff too.  He's amazing.

31 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I love watching this video.  I have to say, Tom Hanks is a national treasure... but Mark Hamill is right up there in terms of an actor who truly enjoys everything about what it means to be a big part of pop culture.  He knows how meaningful the Star Wars films are to people and his character in particular is, and in every interview you ever see.. he never EVER takes that for granted.  It's really quite wonderful to see.   He's like this with the Batman stuff too.  He's amazing.

He is just incredible how much he makes such experiences magical.

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Does anyone know why they've never shown a Jedi using Force lightning?  Yoda only ever deflected or absorbed it, he didn't use it offensively.

I think Yoda used the Force lighting as a symbol of Jedi being reborn by burning down the tree that housed the old ways (texts). Seems like Rei already took the paper Jedi books as they seemed to tumble out of her sack while Poe Dameron was moving it.

Not sure if Snoak is supposed to be one of the six  :popcorn: ethereal Jedi forces mentioned in the Star Wars cartoons which added to the canon outside of the 8 Star Wars movies.

So as I mentioned I was not that pleased with the movie mostly due to the ending but as I was watching it there were certainly some things I wasn’t all that excited about 

My girl friend really on the other hand really liked it.    When I was complaining once again about the aftermath of Luke’s use of the Force my girl friend said you fanboys need to take your out of you and get over it.

I checked my phone after lunch today and had a bunch of texts from her.

She had been reading an interview with Rian Johnson.

She text a few of his quotes but this was her final text on the matter.

”He’s a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I shouldn’t have read his quotes about it because it’s making me turn against the movie”

Hehehehe.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

I think Yoda used the Force lighting as a symbol of Jedi being reborn by burning down the tree that housed the old ways (texts). Seems like Rei already took the paper Jedi books as they seemed to tumble out of her sack while Poe Dameron was moving it.

Not sure if Snoak is supposed to be one of the six  :popcorn: ethereal Jedi forces mentioned in the Star Wars cartoons which added to the canon outside of the 8 Star Wars movies.

I don't think that was force lightning Yoda used, it was actual lightning from the sky. 

4 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Sheesh, since when did this site become TheForce.net? Lots of "my headcanon was raped" bile being spewed about a great movie. 

Really? Anyone who has a problem with this movie is suffering from some sort of nerdrage? Really?