• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

2.  I wish he stayed alive till 9.

I'd be fine if he died in a blaze of glory, but just disappearing for no specific reason is lame.  When Obi-Wan Force-disappeared, he did it saving Luke and the gang.  That was somewhat dissatisfying because he didn't HAVE to die, but at least he did Force-disappear right before Vader struck him, so he got that one last sick burn in on the way out in not letting Vader truly win a duel with him. :devil:   When Yoda Force-disappeared, it was implied he was old and sick so you get it, and I certainly I hope I look as good as Yoda does when I'm 900, but I doubt I will.  :blush:  But Luke just faded for what reason, exactly?  Because he knew Kylo would be coming for him and wipe the island out, I guess?  If he wanted to protect the island and all the porgs who live on it, he could have just left.  :makepoint:

You know Disney will make millions from The Last Jedi, however a short-term gain is going to be a long-term headache for Disney over the backlash about this movie.

I do believe Rian Johnson will be fired from doing the new trilogy.  A 1st year film student high on Pot mixed with xanex and 10 beers would have done a better job.

Most Star Wars fans want to see Luke do powerful stuff like gee I dont know crush a couple AST Walkers with the force, but noooooo we get 

Spoiler

a hologram projection of the 2nd most powerful Jedi of all time.  Give me a break.

Everyone in the theater was so excited for that ending and everyone left that theater with the you can just tell look of shock of how they were trying to convince themselves to like the film but wanted to scream in disappointment.  Also I dont want to hear this argument that hardcore SW fans had too high of expectations.  I am calling total BS on that because I think most SW fans know nothing can compare to the original trilogy, so my expectations were fairly in check as I did enjoy both the TFA and Rogue One very much.  However high expectations of any film that is hyped up for a year is expected as a moviegoer in general so you can stick it with that dumb argument. 

I was starting to enjoy Rey as a new character in TFA, but after this film I could care less about her.  I am now hoping Finn, Rey, Poe, and especially that who cares Rose (OMG she was the worst) all die in episode 9.  I am now First Order.  I hope the resistance gets wiped out and galaxy goes under Sith Law and people are treated like the filth they are. 

ALL HAIR THE EMPIRE AND FIRST ORDER!

If you haven't heard the story behind the porgs, Rian Johnson added them because Skellig Island that the film was shot in is covered in them and it was impossible to get them out of his shots, so instead of digitally editing them out he decided to digitally replace them with similarly-cute critters but ones that weren't from Earth.

https://www.thewrap.com/porgs-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi-look-like-puffins-for-a-very-good-reason/

Screen-Shot-2017-12-15-at-7.15.03-AM.png

1 minute ago, Chip Cataldo said:
2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Obi-Wan in his prime would have wiped the floor with Luke...just like he did with his dad.  :sumo:

Yoda and Anakin were more powerful as well. 

I assumed he was already counting Yoda as first most powerful ahead of Luke and that he was excluding Anakin because he became a Sith.

15 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Vader #1

Luke #2

Yoda #3

OB1 #4 (OB1 did beat him, but he was still too young)

just my opinion

If you're throwing Sith in there as you did with Vader, then the order is:

1. Yoda
  2. Sidious
  3. Vader
  4. Mace Windu
  5. Obi-Wan
  6. Luke

But it's not really a fair comparison because Lucas added Force abilities as the films progressed, so he gave Yoda and Sidious force powers in Episode VI and the prequels that we never saw Luke even use, particularly Force lightning.  We have no idea if Luke ever developed the ability to project Force lightning or deflect it after Sidious lit him up with it in Episode VI.

You'd have to insert Kylo Ren and Snoke pretty high on that list, but again, not a fair comparison because every film keeps expanding the powers, so the latest film tends to have the most powerful version of a Force user we've ever seen to date.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Does anyone know why they've never shown a Jedi using Force lightning?  Yoda only ever deflected or absorbed it, he didn't use it offensively.

Because it's a Sith technique. 

Only the Sith and, in rare situations, the leader of  Nightsisters have been able to use it. 

It's a power of the dark side, so you wouldn't see Jedi use it. 

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

This comment stood out to me.  There were a TON of people who, upon the release of The Phantom Menace and the introduction of midichlorians, were upset that the Force was trending away from magic and moving toward science.  It's just interesting to hear the complaint in reverse so many years later. 

No I think my problem with a lot of what went on is that I found it going down a similar path as the Prequels. I personally would rather the Force stuff be best left to KISS. ( Keep it simple stupid). I joked to my girl friend this weekend and think I posted on he ris episode 9 going to reveal Rey has the most midicholrians ever?! Even more than Vader?! 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Only the Sith and, in rare situations, the leader of  Nightsisters have been able to use it. 

Googling it I see some people saying this, others saying that Jedi CAN use it, but their creed is to use the Force for defense only, so they choose not to project lightning.

Scott Mendelson's got a new post up that addresses the #nerdrage - 'The Last Jedi' Is Doomed To Be The 'Iron Man 3' Of 'Star Wars'

He speaks my mind on several points:

First, calling Iron Man 3's twist "brilliant" and "subversive" (agreed - I thought it _made_ that movie); and highlighting that it went on to gross $1.2 billion worldwide.

Second, noting that it won't matter in terms of box office. Interesting observation that Empire Strikes Back has the lowest unadjusted gross of any Star Wars movie:

"partially because the very things (its tone, its cliffhanger ending, its self-deconstruction, its smaller-scale and somber character-driven approach) that led it to be hailed as the best of the bunch today were responsible for its comparatively mixed response back in 1980. Not to be too speculative, but I can only imagine how the internet would have reacted to that second Star Wars movie had it been released today. The good news is if history is any indication, comparatively divisive buzz (presuming online fandom represents the general populace) won’t hurt the film’s global box office take. Pirates 2 cleared $1 billion in 2006 and Matrix Reloaded snagged $742 million worldwide back in 2003."

Further, I predict Rian Johnson will continue to helm the next trilogy.

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I believe in the wipes out expanded universe canon Luke did it and was considered a gray Jedi move aside from Sith.

1 minute ago, Mephisto said:

episode 9 going to reveal Rey has the most midicholrians ever?! Even more than Vader?! 

She showed so much power for a newbie in Force Awakens and this film that such an idea would be the only real way to explain it.  (shrug)