• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

A friend had pleaded to me to join wit him to see this movie today. I told him I had already seen it last week on last Sunday. I am not going to waste my $15 to see it a second time. He was bummed but he does have friends to go with him. 

The next movie - Star Wars lX - might will be my last one to go to the threate to watch. The Vlll wasn’t too bad but felt like not up to how the original trilogy were to me back then. Maybe it has to do with the way George Lucas created in there? I think Disney is missing the “zing” part.

36 minutes ago, I like pie said:

It really helped me get over how bad this movie was by watching iv thru vi 8 times since last week.

I never thought there would be a Star Wars where there would be responses like this.

Went to the movie this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.   

Here are a few observations:

Spoiler

1.  This may be the most action packed movie I've attended in some time.  In fact, it may have too much.  Is it too much to ask to just let a movie breathe a few extended times to give our senses a break?  

2.  The scene with Leia recovering from the explosion and floating back to the ship was lame.  Love Leia and didn't want her to die, but that was a bit much to have her survive in that manner.  I suppose the Force helped her with that.

3.  Great job by the writers to keep me waiting on each moment of the movie to figure out if Rey would dip her feet into the dark side.  Really good tension between her and Kylo throughout the movie.  

4.  Not a big fan of how the Force allowed Kylo and Rey to have such personal contact from distance and Luke casting his body to fight Kylo.  I like the Force as it was displayed in the original trilogy not like this - it seems to be too much.

5.  SFx were great.  No complaints on what was put on the screen. 

Bottom line is that I liked it.  It's missing the feel of the original trilogy, but I 'm not sure if that can ever be captured again.  Can't wait for the next one to see where it takes us.  

Edited by 40sJohn

The Force Awakens was on cable tonight, and I caught the second half of it. 

For all the recycled plot lines and recycled set pieces it used it really built drama effectively and laid the groundwork for the next two films in a way that I didn't really appreciate until now.

Now that someone's intentionally dropped a Cleveland Steamer on the chest of of The Force Awakens, in the form of The Last Jedi, so much of what was laid out just seems wasted in tremendously cavalier and immature way. 

There hasn't been this much potential wasted since the Wachowski brothers set up a film universe where it's protagonist could do ANYTHING his mind could imagine, become a godlike superhuman deity within the Matrix, and they decided to make him punch stuff, over and over again, for two straight sequels. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 hour ago, Silver said:

About the same as above. “I liked it well enough” is how I sum it up. It was fun. I could start picking stuff apart, but why? It was a fun movie to watch. They keep making em, I’ll keep going.

+1, liked it more than TFA which felt like a complete rehash

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

:facepalm: 

I imagine those that didn’t notice much and just looked at the pretty red sets would enjoy the movie more. I should try that next time!

34 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

it's simply amazing the things people will tolerate and not tolerate

Yep.  For me it's a question of whether I am willing to go with the director and follow the path he is taking us on. In this case I am because I like Abrams and the production value has been top shelf. Much better than the prequels in almost every regard. Plus I'm a sucker for the original actors (Hamill, Fisher) playing their characters. 

4 minutes ago, 40sJohn said:

Yep.  For me it's a question of whether I am willing to go with the director and follow the path he is taking us on. In this case I am because I like Abrams and the production value has been top shelf. Much better than the prequels in almost every regard. Plus I'm a sucker for the original actors (Hamill, Fisher) playing their characters. 

I liked what Abrams did in The Force Awakens, sure the plot was recycled, but it felt like an earnest relaunch and a return to quality films and a palette cleanser from the prequels. He got the tone right, and used a familiar series of plot lines to introduce new characters, reacquaint us with old characters, and lay the groundwork for the future of the film franchise.

All of which are also reasons why I cannot stomach what was done in The Last Jedi. It had those same high production values, and attention to technical details, but it was a film that spat upon the tone, feel, and gravity of the plot lines and story progression from The Force Awakens and the Original Trilogy. 

Which is a shame because this film was a chance to use The Force Awakens as a launching point to something new and better and in continuity and consistent in both tone and dramatic plotting. 

The path that Abrams was taking us on got tossed aside like Anakin's saber in the first moments of the film.