• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

Given the amount of time that must have gone into that cover, you would have to say that Flessel was giving more than DC likely paid him.

No disrespect to whoever drew the recreation, but I prefer the original. The bad guy's eyes are looking in the correct direction and I like that they are in shadow.

He got paid something like $5 for a cover back then.

His are the archetypal comic book cover, imo. They draw your attention and make you want to know what's inside.

Even the very early issues of Detective, which were relatively simple, were really attractive. #6 for example.

6-1.jpg

They started getting more detailed from about #7 onwards. #11 is one of my absolute favs. Beautiful detail. Everything looks so organic. Very 3D.

11-1.jpg

Then of course you have #18 which is just a masterpiece. Don't even get me started on the Adventure's... just beautiful stuff.

He's top 3 of all-time, for me. With Wood and Schomburg.

Flessel's first cover for More Fun. The contents include not only a Flessel strip, but also 3 strips by Siegel and Shuster, as well as one by O'Mealia.

All.Day.Long. :cloud9:

It's interesting how they inserted the "Mar.-" before the April.

Flessel's first cover for More Fun. The contents include not only a Flessel strip, but also 3 strips by Siegel and Shuster, as well as one by O'Mealia.

New Adventure Comics #25 has the same "Mar-Apr" cover date. Wonder why? hm

The cover proof that esquire previously displayed has "March, 1938" on it. They probably ran into a lateness issue or something.

I echo the sentiments that Flessel is awesome! Here is his color cover proof to More Fun Comics #30.

MoreFun30CoverProof.jpg

Flessel's first cover for More Fun. The contents include not only a Flessel strip, but also 3 strips by Siegel and Shuster, as well as one by O'Mealia. 156740.jpg

Right you are, good catch Ronaldo!

156741.jpg.80c5290329012afdbe3f6fe71c23f779.jpg

Such a great book. I bid hard on the Billy Wright and lost.

Flessel's first cover for More Fun. The contents include not only a Flessel strip, but also 3 strips by Siegel and Shuster, as well as one by O'Mealia.156740.jpg

My oh my how I would love to own that book