• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

Thanks. The two Detective Comics recreations are my favorite pieces that I own. I still get excited every time I look at them. The Detective 15 is framed and is on my living room wall. The #18 is currently being framed and will be up next to the #15 as soon as I get it back from the framer. :cloud9:

The scuba painting he did is also one of my favorite pieces. My wife loves it too. It is framed and is hanging on the wall in our dining room.

I am very unlucky. I was asking around for over a year to find an individual to help me get a SS by Mr. Flessel. Thanks to High Rare Grade (pointing this thread out to me) I got a chance to see some of his great covers (some that I have never seen before). His detectives were the best no doubt (Adventures up there too). I grabbed a 15 a while ago the minute I saw it. Also grabbed an Adventure Sandman cover the mintute I could too. Anyone have any Adventures (especially 32, 34, 37, 39, 44) for sale? A few of these are Guardeneer covers (another great one).

Thanks. The two Detective Comics recreations are my favorite pieces that I own. I still get excited every time I look at them. The Detective 15 is framed and is on my living room wall. The #18 is currently being framed and will be up next to the #15 as soon as I get it back from the framer. :cloud9:

The scuba painting he did is also one of my favorite pieces. My wife loves it too. It is framed and is hanging on the wall in our dining room.

Those are wonderful pieces, Scott. I'm particularly struck by the subtle coloring on the scuba piece.

Flesselscuba.jpg

This is nothing like the wonderful commissions many of you have posted here, but, I now have some Creig Flessel original art.

This was a surprise to me when I got home tonight. I spoke about Creig with an art collector at SDCC last month and he sent this to me, unsolicited. Needless to say, I am very thankful. I don't know if there is any background to it, but I just sent him an email to check.

64353.jpg.910b68f18643015b60811707140b2e6c.jpg

Those are amazing! What a nice gesture by your friend.

By the way, for anyone who is interested - Creig's family is having a memorial/life-celebration gathering for Creig at the Redwoods retirement community in Mill Valley, CA, on August 31, at 3:00 p.m. I am planning to attend. If any of the locals (or any of the non-locals who happen to be in the area) want to come, they can carpool over there with me.

By the way, for anyone who is interested - Creig's family is having a memorial/life-celebration gathering for Creig at the Redwoods retirement community in Mill Valley, CA, on August 31, at 3:00 p.m. I am planning to attend. If any of the locals (or any of the non-locals who happen to be in the area) want to come, they can carpool over there with me.

god, i'd love to go. i'm going to try like heck. i won't know until next week though.

Edited by Hawkman

god, i'd love to go. i'm going to try like heck. i won't know until next week though.

Please shoot me a PM with the info. I will be in Merced that weekend and can probably make it up there for a few hours on Sunday (thumbs u

Please shoot me a PM with the info. I will be in Merced that weekend and can probably make it up there for a few hours on Sunday (thumbs u

The Redwoods is located at:

The Redwoods

40 Camino Alto

Mill Valley CA 94941

http://www.theredwoods.org/

As I mentioned above, the celebration of Creig's life will be at the Redwoods on August 31, 2008, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Anyone who wants to meet up beforehand and/or carpool over can PM me and let me know and I will coordinate.

if not picky about the grade the Tec run is easier to complete - took me 15 months to do it - by overpaying.

Some of those Adventures just aren't available - similar though smaller run for hardness to complete could be Action 7 to 13?

Since I posted this in the Adventure thread, I'll cross-post it here as an excuse to bump Flessel's tribute thread:
That's gotta be my favorite cover of the run. It's so hard to choose because they are all great. If I live long enough to start another run after the Actions, it will definately be NA's.

RHG:

Do you have many CGC slabs?

What I find curious about some of these old timers, is that they didn't seem to take their work too seriously, at least in retrospect and seemed to even downplay any significance attributed to their art. Which I gues is how artists should behave, constantly moving forward, being only as good as their last cover or play or film, etc.