• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Jan/Feb 2016 Auction

363 posts in this topic

I am not into Planets but have had a few 1s whats up with this 15 other than a great cover?

extremely scarce. It may seem like there is always copies available for sale but for the most part it is the same copies being recycled. This new copy at CGC 7.5 is the highest graded copy.

I have been a Cap 1 supporter in terms of value for a number of years...this upcoming movie if it is as great as they say it will be...well cap 1 STILL has upside.
at this point, I believe plenty of demand already initiated from previous cap/avengers movies...not sure this one will have any perceptible impact on cap 1 prices (shrug)

Winning!

C74fc-Heritage_zps5yowytrf.jpg

Congrats!! I was close but you got me. (thumbs u

Oh so it was you who kept running my bids up. :sumo::grin: I bought this from Harley sight unseen off his catalog and I caught him just before he left for San Diego. The book was already packed away but he was nice enough to put it aside for me otherwise I probably would have never seen it again. Aside from the 8.0 copy that came out in 2002 [who owns that book?] I have never seen another copy surface so I just had to have this back.

I'm sure that this book is on the upswing but whomever decided to pay $9k for that 5.5 lost their mind.

So grade for grade does it beat 1.

by far; i have the toledo copy of 1, at 8.5, and it wouldn't sell anywhere close to that 7.5

There is quite a few copies of issue one available, so scarcity has a bearing on the value.

All it takes is two proxy bidders to each place a bid above FMV value because they want to ensure they get a book, then the HA proxy book drives the price to the stratosphere.

A strategy to avoid if it can be helped. Live is always better in my opinion, especially if you are playing to win. If you use the proxy bid tool, keep it close to where you truly believe the book will finish. There will always be other books.

Jimbo once described an unexpectedly high hammer price as resulting from two atom bomb bids colliding. I think it does happen.

Yes it can. Another member also told me a similar story, placing a bid waaay above fair market value and they wound up paying close to their maximum, which was quite a bit above any reasonable number. This had happened a number of years ago, and they were still very frustrated when they told me the story after all that time had passed.

Did they consider that maybe another bidder was doing the exact same thing that he was doing? (shrug)

That's precisely it: Two bidders put in huge (atom bomb) proxy bids to ensure they will win the lot and then don't participate live.

The result: KABOOM!! :boo:

I once put in a ridiculously high bid on a CGC 7.5 copy of Planet #66. I was winning at guide until the last second, then it just took off. Bid after bid until I was actually relieved to see my bid surpassed. It would have made no difference how I strategized. Someone else was determined to win it at any price.

But that is not to say strategy doesn't make a difference. Sometimes it does - or at least it seems as if it does. How to head off another bidder's impulse to keep bidding in an auction that keeps going as long as bids keep coming? Make 'em think long enough to hesitate, hope the clock runs out.

So grade for grade does it beat 1.

by far; i have the toledo copy of 1, at 8.5, and it wouldn't sell anywhere close to that 7.5

Prices on high grade #1's actually fell the last few times, and I was a casualty, though nothing fatal.

I just have a sneaky feeling that more 'higher' grade #15's will turn up...

I had the high bid on the Planet 15 at the close of internet bidding. But I got blown out of the water on the live bidding. If the Canadian dollar wasn't worth squat right now, I would have held in longer, but I couldn't justify going as high as it ended up.

Hopefully this result will pull another copy or two out of old school collections for grading and maybe we'll all get another chance at a nice copy in the next couple years.

I had the high bid on the Planet 15 at the close of internet bidding. But I got blown out of the water on the live bidding. If the Canadian dollar wasn't worth squat right now, I would have held in longer, but I couldn't justify going as high as it ended up.

Hopefully this result will pull another copy or two out of old school collections for grading and maybe we'll all get another chance at a nice copy in the next couple years.

Hi Mike

Sorry you didn't win it, but somehow I don't think that price gradient will stick when further copies surface. Unless the grade is higher!

hey Mike,

I for the same reason ( current currency exchange ) decided to not pursue any of the Planets. I am looking for some upgrades to certain issues. Maybe bring what you have with you to Calgary Expo again :)

Karl

All it takes is two proxy bidders to each place a bid above FMV value because they want to ensure they get a book, then the HA proxy book drives the price to the stratosphere.

A strategy to avoid if it can be helped. Live is always better in my opinion, especially if you are playing to win. If you use the proxy bid tool, keep it close to where you truly believe the book will finish. There will always be other books.

Jimbo once described an unexpectedly high hammer price as resulting from two atom bomb bids colliding. I think it does happen.

Yes it can. Another member also told me a similar story, placing a bid waaay above fair market value and they wound up paying close to their maximum, which was quite a bit above any reasonable number. This had happened a number of years ago, and they were still very frustrated when they told me the story after all that time had passed.

Did they consider that maybe another bidder was doing the exact same thing that he was doing? (shrug)

Exactly. If one person sees a certain book that he must have at any cost and puts in a massive max bid, is it really beyond the realm of possibility that there`s at least one other person out there that feels the same way?

That's precisely it: Two bidders put in huge (atom bomb) proxy bids to ensure they will win the lot and then don't participate live.

Logically, the same thing should happen if they both participate in the live bidding.

If FMV for a book is $100 but someone was ready to put in a max bid of $500, why is he now going to be less willing to bid up to $500 in the live bidding?

Hi Mike

Sorry you didn't win it, but somehow I don't think that price gradient will stick when further copies surface. Unless the grade is higher!

Hopefully we all get a shot at some decent copies of #15 showing up over the near future. :)

Hi Mike

Hopefully we all get a shot at some decent copies of #15 showing up over the near future. :)

I am actually happy with mine. The pages are off-white which is nice as it seems a lot of the 15's are brittle. The cover is married but it is attractive and has nice colors. The only thing I am still debating is getting it restored since it is already a married cover and therefore qualified why not get it re-attached to my book?

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

cracked out to scan for PSArtbooks:

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

Logically, the same thing should happen if they both participate in the live bidding.

If FMV for a book is $100 but someone was ready to put in a max bid of $500, why is he now going to be less willing to bid up to $500 in the live bidding?

No doubt that logically (in the absence of shilling!) the two results should be the same. Psychologically, though, the results can be different and it can cut several ways.

Scenario 1 You participate in the live bidding.

You think the book has a FMV of $100 but you are willing to go as high as $150. In the live bidding, your $150 bid is topped. You think, "Not losing this thing by one increment!" So you bid again ... which bid gets topped ... so you bid again ... And so on until you end up paying $500.

Scenario 2 You enter a proxy bid and don't participate in the live bidding

You think the book has a FMV of $100 but you are willing to go as high as $150. Then you think hm Been a couple of years since I last saw a copy, so let's be safe and bid $200 ... maybe $250. You end up bidding $500 ... and someone else does as well ...

Scenario 3 You are on the verge of entering the $500 proxy bid (as per Scenario 2) when you realize that the book is due up in the first few lots, so you decide to stick around and participate in the live bidding. As in Scenario 1, the bidding goes past your FMV+ of $150, only this time you think "Nah, it's only a $100 book, so I'm out."

Then, of course, there's HA's "bid protection" option that automatically raises your proxy one to three increments.

Seems like I've been through a lot of permutations, many of which don't make much sense logically. lol That's probably why I overpay a lot. :cry:

Hi Mike

I am actually happy with mine. The pages are off-white which is nice as it seems a lot of the 15's are brittle. The cover is married but it is attractive and has nice colors. The only thing I am still debating is getting it restored since it is already a married cover and therefore qualified why not get it re-attached to my book?

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

cracked out to scan for PSArtbooks:

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

I have a coverless #15, but have yet to find a cover alone available to purchase. If you ever come across one, please let me know ASAP.

Cheers

Jason

when i got out of my rivets-run planet collection, jamie bought a bunch of 'em, including the 15; i bet he made out like a bandit on it, as it was a little over guide when i sold, but not en fuego.

I missed out on your rivet run by seconds, darn it. As for #15, let's hope it's not el fuego eterno.

Psychologically, though, the results can be different and it can cut several ways.

Scenario 1 You participate in the live bidding.

You think the book has a FMV of $100 but you are willing to go as high as $150. In the live bidding, your $150 bid is topped. You think, "Not losing this thing by one increment!" So you bid again ... which bid gets topped ... so you bid again ... And so on until you end up paying $500.

That's been my normal scenario over the years.