• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Jan/Feb 2016 Auction

363 posts in this topic

Well that was painful!! All the Planets I wanted in todays session were aggressively bid on, resulting in some pretty high prices. I persevered on two of them, but backed out of the #5 which was high on my want list.

Another day I suppose :(

Well that was painful!! All the Planets I wanted in todays session were aggressively bid on, resulting in some pretty high prices. I persevered on two of them, but backed out of the #5 which was high on my want list.

Yep. There is always another day! In fact, these days, there is always another auction coming right up! :D

Made two purchases, the Ibis with the gorgeous Raboy bondage cover and the Sunny with the sweet Feldstein cover. Had my hand on the trigger for the Amazing-Man books, especially loved the 5.

Was that the Ibis 2? I intended to bid on that one but forgot about it. Just as well, I guess!

Wow! That #5 went large didnt it? Which two did you hunt down?

Psychologically, though, the results can be different and it can cut several ways.

Scenario 1 You participate in the live bidding.

You think the book has a FMV of $100 but you are willing to go as high as $150. In the live bidding, your $150 bid is topped. You think, "Not losing this thing by one increment!" So you bid again ... which bid gets topped ... so you bid again ... And so on until you end up paying $500.

That's been my normal scenario over the years.

My normal scenario is to fall asleep just before the auction, and wake up just after the lots I was fiercely set on winning have finished.

Psychologically, though, the results can be different and it can cut several ways.

You think the book has a FMV of $100 but you are willing to go as high as $150. In the live bidding, your $150 bid is topped. You think, "Not losing this thing by one increment!" So you bid again ... which bid gets topped ... so you bid again ... And so on until you end up paying $500.

My normal scenario is to fall asleep just before the auction, and wake up just after the lots I was fiercely set on winning have finished.

I gotta try that approach. Be bad for my collection, but great for my bank account!

I gotta try that approach. Be bad for my collection, but great for my bank account!

And the great thing is, there is always another lengthy nap waiting just around the corner!

I bid on the 5 but quickly gave up.

Yeah, I was the underbidder on the last few bids. It was already getting to be a stupid price, but pushed it a bit further but then regained some common sense..at least that is how am telling my story...lol

Yeah, I was the underbidder on the last few bids. It was already getting to be a stupid price, but pushed it a bit further but then regained some common sense..at least that is how am telling my story...lol

You mean you originally had common sense, then decided to collect comics?