• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

Defenders #10 cover? This auction has officially gotten ridiculous. :ohnoez:

Looks like they did a pretty darn good job of cleaning up the Defenders #10 cover:

photo Defenders 10 before after.jpg

Also noticed the difference in the original text block above Hulk's head, to the right of Dr. Strange.

Doesn't look like the original used for production to create the white lettering on blue background.

I liked it better unrestored.

A large component of this stuff, for me, is being able to see the process. How the image was drawn, including the the mistakes they had to fix and alterations they made along the way.

This is a good example of the type of information that gets lost with restoration.

Text block change is a problem. That's an aesthetic update that's actually cost some originality. Maybe the originals is included loose? Too much surgery being done now -on the whole- when the situation is not life-threatening, imo.

I like the restored page.

One other thing, just as a point of curiosity and conversation-

While the unrestored version ( call it version "A") has the text block above Hulk's head as a better representation of the published cover, take a look to the left of the Silver Surfer - the "JR" on the restored version (I'll call this version "B") is like the published cover, where version A has a black blob of ink there.

So, in one place version A better replicates the printed cover, in another place it's version B that looks more like the published cover.

'K - two other things, I guess...

Version B no longer has "Romita" to the left of Hulk's foot (which of course is not on the published cover). I Figure John signed the OA after the fact, and that was washed away in restoral.

Not as big a fan of this cover as a lot of people on this list, but I would take the restored cover all day long over the unrestored. I can tolerate a lot of flaws in unrestored art, but the eye appeal of that unrestored cover is unacceptable for me. The tanning is just too much IMHO. Losing the Romita signature stings for sure, but all other things being equal, I'm going with the restored version. Just my 2c

Scott

Not as big a fan of this cover as a lot of people on this list, but I would take the restored cover all day long over the unrestored. I can tolerate a lot of flaws in unrestored art, but the eye appeal of that unrestored cover is unacceptable for me. The tanning is just too much IMHO. Losing the Romita signature stings for sure, but all other things being equal, I'm going with the restored version. Just my 2c

Scott

Huge fan of this cover, but other than that, my 2c matches yours

Eventually, i wonder if there will be a noticeable premium for covers of the same era in great condition that didn't need to be restored. Pages and covers where the lettering is mostly by hand with little glue touching it. I personally find myself more drawn to pages that dont have glued on stats. I keep thinking those pages, all other things being equal, will start to draw more collectors eyes especially as time moves on and preservation becomes more of an issue.

Eventually, i wonder if there will be a noticeable premium for covers of the same era in great condition that didn't need to be restored. Pages and covers where the lettering is mostly by hand with little glue touching it. I personally find myself more drawn to pages that dont have glued on stats. I keep thinking those pages, all other things being equal, will start to draw more collectors eyes especially as time moves on and preservation becomes more of an issue.

I 100% agree. I love the pages that have no paste-up. These two splashes are all inked, no stats. :luhv:

submariner39.jpg

vhFNfmPk_0603151502411.jpg

The trick I've seen is to try to make sure no "before" scans are out there when you decide to get it restored.

I like the restored page.

One other thing, just as a point of curiosity and conversation-

While the unrestored version ( call it version "A") has the text block above Hulk's head as a better representation of the published cover, take a look to the left of the Silver Surfer - the "JR" on the restored version (I'll call this version "B") is like the published cover, where version A has a black blob of ink there.

So, in one place version A better replicates the printed cover, in another place it's version B that looks more like the published cover.

'K - two other things, I guess...

Version B no longer has "Romita" to the left of Hulk's foot (which of course is not on the published cover). I Figure John signed the OA after the fact, and that was washed away in restoral.

I'm guessing someone covered up the 'JR' signature with a blob of ballpoint ink, possibly the same ink the 'Romita' signature was done with. When the page was washed, it removed the 'Romita' sig (as you suggested) as well as the blob covering 'JR', leaving the India ink 'JR' visible.

A large component of this stuff, for me, is being able to see the process. How the image was drawn, including the the mistakes they had to fix and alterations they made along the way.

This is a good example of the type of information that gets lost with restoration.

+1

Seems like such a shame to take a great piece of OA and, IMO taint it. The restored cover looks great but not all OA is supposed to look great. It's supposed to look original. The fact that Romita's sig was lost too seems like such a disrespect.

+1

Seems like such a shame to take a great piece of OA and, IMO taint it. The restored cover looks great but not all OA is supposed to look great. It's supposed to look original. The fact that Romita's sig was lost too seems like such a disrespect.

From the seller's POV its just supposed to look like whatever makes him the most money, realistically.

As a buyer I don't like it either. I wouldn't buy this one even if I was in the market for it.