• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

I figured I would share my latest conquest...

ASM_667_zpspediwmzu.jpg

:news:RE-SOLD for $9,000

(UPDATED) ASM 667 Dell'otto Club (Population 3 :o )

UNVERSAL

Jaydogrules 9.8 Page 1

Lethal_Collector 9.8 Page 1

SIGNATURE SERIES

Sano 9.8 (Stan Lee) Page 115

Happy hunting boys! :)

-J.

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

Congrats on a big score.

While it is certainly nice to own something that is extremely rare I'd personally be concerned about spending $9000 on that particular book. That seems like a lot of eggs being placed into a pretty shaky basket. If I was going spend that kind of money on one book (I'm not) I'd have to go with a major 1st appearance issue. $9000 can get you an Amazing Fantasy #15 in the 2.0-3.0 range. I'd probably go for a higher grade of a more recent offering like Incredible Hulk 181. You could grab at least a 9.6 for 9k. I understand this is probably as much about prestige as it is actually making money but I think I'd have to go with an investment with a longer track record. With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

While it is certainly nice to own something that is extremely rare I'd personally be concerned about spending $9000 on that particular book. That seems like a lot of eggs being placed into a pretty shaky basket. If I was going spend that kind of money on one book (I'm not) I'd have to go with a major 1st appearance issue. $9000 can get you an Amazing Fantasy #15 in the 2.0-3.0 range. I'd probably go for a higher grade of a more recent offering like Incredible Hulk 181. You could grab at least a 9.6 for 9k. I understand this is probably as much about prestige as it is actually making money but I think I'd have to go with an investment with a longer track record. With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

The buyer might already have those books and they come up for sale all the time. (thumbs u

To be fair, people who can $9K comics are usually in a situation where they can financially meet the basic needs of life pretty comfortably, especially in America, where making $300K gets you pretty much the same life as making $2M per year (other than the size of your very nice house), of course excluding NYC and SF where studio apt's might cost you a mil.

To be fair, people who can $9K comics are usually in a situation where they can financially meet the basic needs of life pretty comfortably, especially in America, where making $300K gets you pretty much the same life as making $2M per year (other than the size of your very nice house), of course excluding NYC and SF where studio apt's might cost you a mil.

This is true. It is hard for me to conceive of spending 9k on one comic book (especially one that doesn't have a long track record) but if someone is making 3-4 times what I do then I guess it's not a big deal.

Edited by Batverse

This is true. It is hard for me to conceive of spending 9k on one comic book (especially one that doesn't have a long track record) but if someone is making 3-4 times what I do then I guess it's not a big deal.

Doesn't you concern also have to do with it being a Modern Variant?

From the perspective of someone sitting on fat stacks, the 'modern variant concerns' look a lot smaller, or so I've heard. I personally would think long and hard about buying a modern variant for $90 (check my paypal account, see when my next paycheck is coming, see if I plan to sell any other comics soon, etc).

The type of person spending this type of money on a book like this are probably, though not certainly, wealthy. They likely already have an AF15 if they want one. If they've been doing this for long, a high grade IH181 was probably acquired a long time ago and isn't a concern.

So... Could there be some tiny number of money-is-not-a-concern collectors out there snatching these type of books up? Sure, if they're completionists.

It's also in the realm of probability that there's potentially some weirdness going on - money laundering, the sell(s) reported never really happened, crazy people, etc.

But weirder things have happened than this, so it's certainly possible someone bought this with a very clear reason in mind.

I still personally think you'd need to have your head examined for pulling the trigger at that price, but some people would say the same for a collector buying a multi thousand dollar SA grail. :shrug:

The only difference is that the value of one book is not disputed by the vast majority of the hobby.

From the perspective of someone sitting on fat stacks, the 'modern variant concerns' look a lot smaller, or so I've heard. I personally would think long and hard about buying a modern variant for $90 (check my paypal account, see when my next paycheck is coming, see if I plan to sell any other comics soon, etc).

Yes, so an equivalent buy might be more in the $10-20 range, where you know you can cover it.

Yes, so an equivalent buy might be more in the $10-20 range, where you know you can cover it.

agree, its all relative, but we tend to see things (reasonably so) just from perspectives that are familiar to us.

That's while I'll never begrudge someone for overpricing something or begrudge anyone else for 'overpaying' for something. If I was in the position where I can afford a $9K comic, I would feel like I've earned the right to not worry if I'm over paying by 10-30% in order to have it RIGHT NOW and not sit around waiting until lord knows when.

*of course in the advertisements and discussions of any collectibles (especially high value), one should be honest and act in good faith to the extent that it is possible

I would hope anybody sending $9k on any luxury item would do so with their eyes wide open. But like others have said, it's probably a safe assumption that someone with that kind of disposable cash, is most likely fairly well off either way.

If someone is paying $9k for this book, they are most certainly familiar with it and its story, and they are aware how infrequently it comes up for sale, particularly in a 9.8, with the last recorded public sale being in May, 2013, according to GPA. If you're an ASM completist, a rare variant hunter, a Dell'otto fan, and/or a 9.8 snob, four years is a long time to wait in between books, and this one obviously isn't getting any cheaper. 2c

-J.

Sold both my OO copies of 667 and 678 and bought a box of high grade CGC bronze and copper keys. I feel pretty good about it and I assume those two bordies who bought those books feel good about it too. Price is relative to what you can afford how bad you want it.

I feel the same way Revat about not begirdging someone for overpricing a book. Though the person on ebay asking $500 for SSM #131 and $132 is a bit dilusional. ;-)

If I was a prospective buyer then yes that would concern me. The value of moderns seems to be much more fluid. I would be concerned that I was buying at the top of the market and that it could only go down from here. It's not my money though. The buyer may be wealthy enough that he isn't overly concerned if it drops $1000, $2000 or more. If he is an avid ASM collector, a collector of these Dirty Dozen books, or whatever then that may outweigh potential declines in value.

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

:o Well that settles that then. lol

I saw when it first hit ebay. Something like 50 views an hour with 40 watchers in 18 hours, and the book sold in under a day. Flipping books is not my thing, but I'd say yours was a successful one.

Congrats on the sale, and yeah I'll be taking your membership key to the club house on your way out the door. :grin:

-J.

Before anyone pops champagne corks for this individual, take note of the following:

Item listed for sale. I contact with an offer. Seller says fine, contact via CGC boards. I am tied up with family business for a day and in different timezone.

Seller sends a message via Ebay, asking if I still want the item. I say yes, and follow up with another email.

Then I learn via my good friend Master Jay here the item has been sold. I check the thread, and sure enough, here's the seller gloating ( :boo: ) When I advise this is unprofessional, I am advised "it is what it is" and that I am letting my emotions "get the better of me", which is ridiculous as anyone who has done business with me would know.

So, one seller with more $ (albeit temporarily I'm guessing) but far less credibility.

I think I will now go and snap up another AF#15 in the 2.0-3.0 grade. With a professional seller...

Edited by World Devourer