• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

:o Well that settles that then. lol

I saw when it first hit ebay. Something like 50 views an hour with 40 watchers in 18 hours, and the book sold in under a day. Flipping books is not my thing, but I'd say yours was a successful one.

Congrats on the sale, and yeah I'll be taking your membership key to the club house on your way out the door. :grin:

-J.

Before anyone pops champagne corks for this individual, take note of the following:

Item listed for sale. I contact with an offer. Seller says fine, contact via CGC boards. I am tied up with family business for a day and in different timezone.

Seller sends a message via Ebay, asking if I still want the item. I say yes, and follow up with another email.

Then I learn via my good friend Master Jay here the item has been sold. I check the thread, and sure enough, here's the seller gloating ( :boo: ) When I advise this is unprofessional, I am advised "it is what it is" and that I am letting my emotions "get the better of me", which is ridiculous as anyone who has done business with me would know.

So, one seller with more $ (albeit temporarily I'm guessing) but far less credibility.

I think I will now go and snap up another AF#15 in the 2.0-3.0 grade. With a professional seller...

Hey man I'm sorry that happened, especially since I knew you were looking for that in a 9.8 and I sent you the link alerting you to the seller and his book when it came up for sale. I've spoken with cmzare in the past and I'm sure it really was just a communication breakdown in the end. Everyone on the boards knows that you are a serious buyer with cash to spend, so it obviously wasn't a money thing.

Chin up, you'll find your copy.

-J.

Sold both my OO copies of 667 and 678 and bought a box of high grade CGC bronze and copper keys. I feel pretty good about it and I assume those two bordies who bought those books feel good about it too. Price is relative to what you can afford how bad you want it.

I feel the same way Revat about not begirdging someone for overpricing a book. Though the person on ebay asking $500 for SSM #131 and $132 is a bit dilusional. ;-)

Didn't you liquidate your entire ASM run ?

-J.

You pretty much cherry picked the convo to your liking, WD. I gave you plenty of time to get back to me. I'm sorry real life happened. You hurled some pretty strong responses my way as if I'm a professional retail salesman -- and which I'm not. I believe I'm a stand up guy and I've never done anyone wrong regarding a sale of a book here or on eBay -- I guess until I virtually met you.

You pretty much cherry picked the convo to your liking, WD. I gave you plenty of time to get back to me. I'm sorry real life happened. You hurled some pretty strong responses my way as if I'm a professional retail salesman -- and which I'm not. I believe I'm a stand up guy and I've never done anyone wrong regarding a sale of a book here or on eBay -- I guess until I virtually met you.

Charles, simply stating facts. Nothing emotional. Let's just move on.

With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

That is basically what my plan is, it is very risky. I mean time will tell if these books will sustain in the future or slowly climb like other SA/BA books. Looking back at the Bats 608 thread, that book has held it's own for over a decade now, some ups and downs, but what stands out to me most about that and the ASM 667, is that they rarely come up for sale. Which I look at as demand; collectors don't want to let them go, which leaves the market thirsty when they do pop up.

Now, I think the door swings the other way too, if too many copies come up for sale the prices don't hold up as well.

Jerome

Sold both my OO copies of 667 and 678 and bought a box of high grade CGC bronze and copper keys. I feel pretty good about it and I assume those two bordies who bought those books feel good about it too. Price is relative to what you can afford how bad you want it.

I feel the same way Revat about not begirdging someone for overpricing a book. Though the person on ebay asking $500 for SSM #131 and $132 is a bit dilusional. ;-)

-J.

I sold all of my variants but a couple and lost all of my SA to a flood.

-J.

Oh damn. I'm sorry to hear that man.

-J.

-J.

Oh damn. I'm sorry to hear that man.

-J.

Dang :sorry:

While it is certainly nice to own something that is extremely rare I'd personally be concerned about spending $9000 on that particular book. That seems like a lot of eggs being placed into a pretty shaky basket. If I was going spend that kind of money on one book (I'm not) I'd have to go with a major 1st appearance issue. $9000 can get you an Amazing Fantasy #15 in the 2.0-3.0 range. I'd probably go for a higher grade of a more recent offering like Incredible Hulk 181. You could grab at least a 9.6 for 9k. I understand this is probably as much about prestige as it is actually making money but I think I'd have to go with an investment with a longer track record. With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

The buyer might already have those books and they come up for sale all the time. (thumbs u

Exactly. When it comes to high dollar modern books people always bring up the fact that you can get an Af #15 , hulk #1 , hulk 181 etc. if a collector is spending 9k on a modern, chances are they have the funds to buy or already own those silver/bronze age keys. OR Perhaps they don't care for silver age or Bronze Age books?

hm

BTW congrats to the seller and buyer

While it is certainly nice to own something that is extremely rare I'd personally be concerned about spending $9000 on that particular book. That seems like a lot of eggs being placed into a pretty shaky basket. If I was going spend that kind of money on one book (I'm not) I'd have to go with a major 1st appearance issue. $9000 can get you an Amazing Fantasy #15 in the 2.0-3.0 range. I'd probably go for a higher grade of a more recent offering like Incredible Hulk 181. You could grab at least a 9.6 for 9k. I understand this is probably as much about prestige as it is actually making money but I think I'd have to go with an investment with a longer track record. With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

The buyer might already have those books and they come up for sale all the time. (thumbs u

Exactly. When it comes to high dollar modern books people always bring up the fact that you can get an Af #15 , hulk #1 , hulk 181 etc. if a collector is spending 9k on a modern, chances are they have the fundss to buy or already own those silver/bronze age keys. OR Perhaps they don't care for silver age or Bronze Age books?

hm

Or they know that they can get those SA/BA books in just about any grade they want at any time they want. But getting rare variants takes patience so when you see it you gotta go get it. Or maybe they've made a killing sitting on their other books that they can replace fairly easily and sell those to pay for the super rare MA variants on their list. (shrug)

Jerome

Exactly. When it comes to high dollar modern books people always bring up the fact that you can get an Af #15 , hulk #1 , hulk 181 etc. if a collector is spending 9k on a modern, chances are they have the finds to buy or already own those silver/bronze age keys. OR Perhaps they don't care for silver age or Bronze Age books?

hm

This is a possibility. I collect Bronze Age stuff and newer. When I was a kid, thats what was on the shelves/spinner rack. I read Silver Age stuff but they were all reprints like Marvel's Greatest Comics and the like. I'll buy any Silver Age book I see that is a bargain but only to sell. I don't keep any of them. Maybe somebody like that...with a lot of disposable income and a strong stomach bought it. Who knows ? Just like everything in life, stuff is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 2c

Exactly. When it comes to high dollar modern books people always bring up the fact that you can get an Af #15 , hulk #1 , hulk 181 etc. if a collector is spending 9k on a modern, chances are they have the finds to buy or already own those silver/bronze age keys. OR Perhaps they don't care for silver age or Bronze Age books?

hm

This is a possibility. I collect Bronze Age stuff and newer. When I was a kid, thats what was on the shelves/spinner rack. I read Silver Age stuff but they were all reprints like Marvel's Greatest Comics and the like. I'll buy any Silver Age book I see that is a bargain but only to sell. I don't keep any of them. Maybe somebody like that...with a lot of disposable income and a strong stomach bought it. Who knows ? Just like everything in life, stuff is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 2c

Totally agree with you !

I've come to realize that Modern variant hunters and completionists are another animal when it comes to collecting. I just find it ironic that when a silver , bronze or even a copper sells for a high $ nobody bats an eye. When a modern variant sells, people start claiming that the modern variant will be the reason why the comic industry will collapse . lol

Btw I'd love to know the demographic buying these high dollar moderns.

With great risk can come great reward though. I could be completely off base.

That is basically what my plan is, it is very risky. I mean time will tell if these books will sustain in the future or slowly climb like other SA/BA books. Looking back at the Bats 608 thread, that book has held it's own for over a decade now, some ups and downs, but what stands out to me most about that and the ASM 667, is that they rarely come up for sale. Which I look at as demand; collectors don't want to let them go, which leaves the market thirsty when they do pop up.

Now, I think the door swings the other way too, if too many copies come up for sale the prices don't hold up as well.

Jerome

Jerome, there may yet be a happy ending to this. Can you give me your address? hm

I am out of the small and illustrious ASM 667 club, but I'm $9,000 richer... who was saying that this wouldn't sell? You wouldn't believe how many emails I received. You also wouldn't believe how many offers north of $7.5K I received. I am sure I will regret selling it. To anyone who says that it is "absurd" that a modern can fetch this much... here's a warm glass of STFU. Thanks :)

Wow, that's an incredible price, congratulations !

It's a shame the last "official" 9.8 sale in GPA is still only $1,100 just 3.5 years ago. Would be good to see some 9.8's sell in open auction so we can really see where this book is at and silence the naysayers.

Out of interest, and for those who doubt the market depth, how many serious inquiries & offers above $7,500 did you get ? :popcorn: