• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Seven people approached me with offers north of $7.5K. What's funny is... all it takes are two people who really want something to drive the price up. Maybe the book has lost value now that the top dog is out of the picture?

Seven people approached me with offers north of $7.5K. What's funny is... all it takes are two people who really want something to drive the price up. Maybe the book has lost value now that the top dog is out of the picture?

Or you just made at least a half dozen people more anxious for the next copy that may or may not roll around in another 3-4 years. lol

Seriously though, the book's dearth of sales in 9.8 (around and otherwise) is obviously a reflection of its rarity. Look at Batman 608RRP for another example: there are 64, 9.8 slabs out there. Yet only 1-2 copies have come up for sale publicly going on four years now.

There are 14, 9.8 slabs of ASM 667, with the last sale nearly four years ago, and only 7 total sales of any slab type in five and a half years. Most sales of all comics are done privately anyway , and I would be surprised if we ever saw a 9.8 copy of ASM 667 auctioned publicly for a very, very long time, if ever.

Furthermore, the $2100sale of the raw VF copy a year and a half ago, and the 9.6 copy that sold for $4k seven months ago easily support your price. Hell, you might have still been too cheap. :whee::shy:

-J.

Furthermore, the $2100sale of the raw VF copy a year and a half ago, and the 9.6 copy that sold for $4k seven months ago easily support your price. Hell, you might have still been too cheap. :whee::shy:

Boils down to what price people are willing to pay. Unless he got tons of offers higher than $9K, then $9K isn't cheap. It's just the market price at this point in time when he decided to sell.

I never once got a message on eBay saying that I was out of my effing mind for requesting something near five digits. I did get a few messages asking me to come down to earth about my initial BIN for $12,500. At first, I was just testing the waters to see if anyone would even snag this comic at this ridiculous price. $12.5K is ridiculous. $9K isn't?

I think that the price will remain at least in the $8K range for the time being. If people see this price and start to get an itch to sell... I might very well have another copy again for a lot less than what I paid for mine. Orrrrrrr we might see the rise of a $10K modern book.

if seven people were throwing out offers over 7.5K, I wish you would have just put it up in an auction format. My guess is you would have pleasantly surprised at the end results.

Yea, we know one person was willing to go to 9K, would anyone else have? hm

Jerome

if seven people were throwing out offers over 7.5K, I wish you would have just put it up in an auction format. My guess is you would have pleasantly surprised at the end results.

Jerome

If someone is willing to go to $9k, why not $10k?

It would only take two kamikaze bids at the very end of an auction for it to happen. But we'll never know, because the seller opted for a fee-free sale (that would have been his net at a $10k auction hammer price anyway).

Incidentally, this is now at least the third ~$8k+ price that's been paid for this book. This 9.8 copy (twice now), and another boardie did a trade for a slabbed 9.6 (FMV $4k) plus $4k cash for a very nice raw copy that was previously offered (raw) on ebay for $8k. The boardie subsequently sent it in for grading and was lucky enough to ace the other new 9.8 this past summer. It now sits firmly entrenched in his awesome registry. (worship)

-J.

Jerome

It would only take two kamikaze bids at the very end of an auction for it to happen. But we'll never know, because the seller opted for a fee-free sale (that would have been his net at a $10k auction hammer price anyway).

Incidentally, this is now at least the third ~$8k+ price that's been paid for this book. This 9.8 copy (twice now), and another boardie did a trade for a slabbed 9.6 (FMV $4k) plus $4k cash for a very nice raw copy that was previously offered (raw) on ebay for $8k. The boardie subsequently sent it in for grading and was lucky enough to ace the other new 9.8 this past summer. It now sits firmly entrenched in his awesome registry. (worship)

-J.

I must have missed this. So the seller that just sold for $9k had $8k into the book himself ?

When it comes to the closing seconds of an auction , there are psychological and emotional. factors involved. I know if I'm making a play for an auction, I debate and think about doing a power bid above the initial price I had in mind. Also, have to factor in sniping programs.

If there were indeed multiple offers over 7.5k with one offer at 9k. It's quite possible this book cleared 10k. We will never know. :frustrated:

Jerome

-J.

I must have missed this. So the seller that just sold for $9k had $8k into the book himself ?

He bought it for $7300 a couple of months ago .

-J.

When it comes to the closing seconds of an auction , there are psychological and emotional. factors involved. I know if I'm making a play for an auction, I debate and think about doing a power bid above the initial price I had in mind. Also, have to factor in sniping programs.

If there were indeed multiple offers over 7.5k with one offer at 9k. It's quite possible this book cleared 10k. We will never know. :frustrated:

+1

Jerome

I'm confused, if you're saying the last sale of a 9.8 was years ago, how did this gent buy his only months ago?

Or are you stating the last GPA sale?

:gossip: Private sale.

-J.

And this current sale?

Was it EBay or private?

I'm confused, if you're saying the last sale of a 9.8 was years ago, how did this gent buy his only months ago?

-J.

And this current sale?

Was it EBay or private?

Both times, started on ebay, sold private.

-J.

So no GPA again.

And EBay is out their cut twice, while providing free advertising. :eek:

It does beg the question where the other 10 or so issues in 9.8 are located.

It is highly likely that some owners are not board members and hence would be unaware of the latest sale. Also, as this was a private sale, the price was never recorded by GPA and so the current prices stand. Therefore it is also reasonable to assume that a potential seller would then offer up the item and what would be known to a minority to be a significantly reduced price.

A Buy It Now option could see the item sell for far less than the private sale amount, thereby rendering the 9K figure artificial - and a price that may not be actualised until the next sale.

This is the obstacle potential sellers face when dealing with Modern fiscal fictions as opposed to the surety of a Silver or Bronze Age gem.

Spock explaining to a confused Kirk the perplexities involved in selling an Amazing Spider-Man #667.

-J.

And this current sale?

Was it EBay or private?

Both times, started on ebay, sold private.

-J.

So no GPA again.

And EBay is out their cut twice, while providing free advertising. :eek:

Most comic sales are private.

Last sale on GPA for the book is $4000 for a 9.6 seven months ago. Only 7 total sales of it on GPA.

-J.

It does beg the question where the other 10 or so issues in 9.8 are located.

It is highly likely that some owners are not board members and hence would be unaware of the latest sale. Also, as this was a private sale, the price was never recorded by GPA and so the current prices stand. Therefore it is also reasonable to assume that a potential seller would then offer up the item and what would be known to a minority to be a significantly reduced price.

A Buy It Now option could see the item sell for far less than the private sale amount, thereby rendering the 9K figure artificial - and a price that may not be actualised until the next sale.

This is the obstacle potential sellers face when dealing with Modern fiscal fictions as opposed to the surety of a Silver or Bronze Age gem.

Spock explaining to a confused Kirk the perplexities involved in selling an Amazing Spider-Man #667.

I know where over half of the 9.8's (and a handful of non-9.8 raw copies) live and all of the owners are well aware of what they have. (thumbs u

And from the very few non slab, non 9.8 sales that we have seen, it's readily apparent that other sellers of this book also know what they have. It's sold for a mint and built momentum since virtually the day it was released.

-J.