• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Same type of thing goes on with BA 12, at least Dell Otto isn't that bad but is about as bad as Campbell......I never got into the La Mole...:)

I noticed that Dell Otto "comics" are getting a bump like Adam Hughes for covers, such as Wolverine The Best There Is....... I have that entire series, with the Dell Otto 1:25 cover #1

There is an opportunity for me to get that signed and graded by Dell Otto, since this may be the only one of his books that I can "afford" at the moment to get SS'd......

(and I know that it seems that everyone dislikes this question....) = but should I bother? you know, getting it signed? I know it seems that there may not be opportunities like this too often in the future and it is the only book that I have of his, but anyone feel like talking me out of it?? (shrug)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm iffy, it is for my own personal collection but stems from his popularity from more expensive books. I would like to own those too before they're out of my price range. If these more expensive one's do continue to grow out of other collector's price range and I did have one signed IMO in the future it would be appreciated by future interested collectors. I think that is why I asked, because I haven't been around the market enough. I am caught between the desire to have one in my collection and the patience to wait for the "right" book. Same with Nintendo Power #6 I put in spare a grade thread, I don't have a SS CGC Campbell either and I wanted something unique.... :)

If anything I've seen values rise on many of the books that these have reprinted, books that are far more prevalent on the market than the ASM 667. A few of the reprints themselves have risen in value (like this one).

Collectors usually want the original/American version of something.

-J.

If anything I've seen values rise on many of the books that these have reprinted, books that are far more prevalent on the market than the ASM 667. A few of the reprints themselves have risen in value (like this one).

-J.

I wouldn't consider a graded 9.6 rising in value. Seller easily lost money on that one.

-J.

I wouldn't consider a graded 9.6 rising in value. Seller easily lost money on that one.

I don't know why anyone would get one of those reprints graded at all. Especially if it isn't a slam dunk 9.8. Although I guess a few of them have sold in the hundreds in a 9.8.

I just mentioned that they're selling well above cover in the raw.

-J.

I really don't know. I don't think any of the those sellers have paid that much for those books though.

-J.

I've bought some from two different boardies in the past. They run for $8-10 at the show. Then you have their markup and shipping. So you're easily into one for $15 just to get it to your door.

These are legitimate reprints not knock offs are they not?

Correct, they are sold in Mexico at conventions or one store, I believe, has rights to them.

Any idea on how they decide on which covers to secure the rights to reprint? It seems pretty obvious that the owners/organizers keep an eye on the secondary market to make those decisions to some extent.

-J.

These are legitimate reprints not knock offs are they not?

Correct, they are sold in Mexico at conventions or one store, I believe, has rights to them.

Any idea on how they decide on which covers to secure the rights to reprint? It seems pretty obvious that the owners/organizers keep an eye on the secondary market to make those decisions to some extent.

-J.

just like anything else, the various contracts and what not.

I don't know why anyone would get one of those reprints graded at all. Especially if it isn't a slam dunk 9.8. Although I guess a few of them have sold in the hundreds in a 9.8.

I just mentioned that they're selling well above cover in the raw.

-J.

I wouldn't doubt this person submitted and thought it was probably a 9.8. Ive had a few that I thought were easily 9.8 come back at 9.6. Having a smudge or something I didn't notice.

Like others have said, originals will always sell better. The knock offs or reprints are simply to satisfy people who can't afford them and want the art. Same thing happens in the art world and fashion. It doesn't necessarily make the originals less valuable.

Doesn't seem to me that these are having any impact on the originals. The originals are keeping their value and people who want the art but can't afford the originals are able to have a legitimate second printing. Seems like everyone is winning.