• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

And definition, which this type of artificial improvement does stretch somewhat.

maybe they should give these books a brown label which lets everybody know the quality of work done.

Who wants to take a stab at the hammer price? hm

$85,000

lol that would be the worst buy of all time.

Im thinking about $12k (Which is still more than what the book is worth.)

That's about what a CGC unrestored 4.0-5.0 would go for right now. Do you think that once you take it out of that vile CBCS case and strip away the restoration, that's what you'd have? hm

I think without documentation you have to imagine that there's some level of shadyness with that book.

I really wish restored books got a grade of where they would be WITHOUT the restoration on them. If you had a 1.5 blue and you added pieces, ct, seals etc to get it to a 6.0 it should be a:

1.5 Restored book with an Apparent Grade of 6.0

I really wish restored books got a grade of where they would be WITHOUT the restoration on them. If you had a 1.5 blue and you added pieces, ct, seals etc to get it to a 6.0 it should be a:

1.5 Restored book with an Apparent Grade of 6.0

100% :applause:

Really that's what documentation would show, what it was originally so you would have an idea of what it's worth without the makeup ;) I would keep the original label at the very least.

$85,000

That's about what a CGC unrestored 4.0-5.0 would go for right now. Do you think that once you take it out of that vile CBCS case and strip away the restoration, that's what you'd have? hm

I think without documentation you have to imagine that there's some level of shadiness with that book.

I think you would have a .5 incomplete if you stripped away the restoration at this point. (But it is probably not even possible, you would just have pieces.) It simply isn't really worth that much more than a .5 to me. There are however people who see that nice 9.8 number in the top corner and go bananas.

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

And definition, which this type of artificial improvement does stretch somewhat.

maybe they should give these books a brown label which lets everybody know the quality of work done.

The quality of the work appears to be excellent. It sounds like most have an issue with the extent of the work done, and I don't disagree in this case. I don't mind books with restoration or conservation (just bought a restored ToS 39, actually), but I personally feel that in most cases the work should be the minimum necessary to stabilize the book's condition and make it readable and enjoyable. Sometimes that requires techniques categorized as restoration, such as masthead replacement for returns (not enjoyable without that, IMO), or piece fill on interior pages to replace missing story parts. I'm not a fan of turning a book that could be a conserved 4.0 into a restored 9.0, though.

The quality of the work appears to be excellent. It sounds like most have an issue with the extent of the work done, and I don't disagree in this case. I don't mind books with restoration or conservation (just bought a restored ToS 39, actually), but I personally feel that in most cases the work should be the minimum necessary to stabilize the book's condition and make it readable and enjoyable. Sometimes that requires techniques categorized as restoration, such as masthead replacement for returns (not enjoyable without that, IMO), or piece fill on interior pages to replace missing story parts. I'm not a fan of turning a book that could be a conserved 4.0 into a restored 9.0, though.

I guess i did not state that properly. Basically just trying to say its a crappy thing to do- changing the book so dramatically that it feels all wrong in hand.

Also maybe a different color label with the term "reconstructed" or similar term that lets everybody know the level of alterationed performed would be appropriate.

$85,000

I think without documentation you have to imagine that there's some level of shadyness with that book.

A CGC 4.0-5.0 would go for a lot more than $12k right now.

I might put this book closer to $10k.

-J.

$85,000

I think without documentation you have to imagine that there's some level of shadiness with that book.

I think you would have a .5 incomplete if you stripped away the restoration at this point. (But it is probably not even possible, you would just have pieces.) It simply isn't really worth that much more than a .5 to me. There are however people who see that nice 9.8 number in the top corner and go bananas.

85k bananas?!? :banana:

I guess i did not state that properly. Basically just trying to say its a crappy thing to do- changing the book so dramatically that it feels all wrong in hand.

Also maybe a different color label with the term "reconstructed" or similar term that lets everybody know the level of alterationed performed would be appropriate.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking with the term "repaired" instead of restored. Also I think CGC is spot-on with the term "apparent" = how does the book look/feel?

$85,000

A CGC 4.0-5.0 would go for a lot more than $12k right now.

I might put this book closer to $10k.

-J.

hm

Heh, maybe I should have put this in the restoration forum :/

It was discussed to death in the Gold forum a few months ago.

The quality of the work appears to be excellent. It sounds like most have an issue with the extent of the work done, and I don't disagree in this case.

The main crux of the discussion is that the work preformed is so good that it becomes difficult to tell where the restoration starts and where the original book ends.

Heh, maybe I should have put this in the restoration forum :/

It was discussed to death in the Gold forum a few months ago.

Was there any end or consensus to the thread or did it just die?

also discussed was the level of inaccurate repainting of art details, and added graphic elements NOT present on the original comics, like rules and panels of solid color or black, distances from the spine etc

also discussed was the level of inaccurate repainting of art details, and added graphic elements NOT present on the original comics, like rules and panels of solid color or black, distances from the spine etc

yup

Probably too much restoration. Most posters here avoid restored books like the plague and that's with very little work done.

Yeah, but once a book is restored, it's either restored or it isn't. If you've taken the mental plunge to accept restoration, why stop at having a POS book restored only slightly to look like a semi-POS book? Just max it out to make it look like a mint book, because either way, it's no longer the original book.

Who cares if it's a slightly fake book or if it's a really fake book? Either way, it's fake.

Why not just take a reproduction cover and put it on and call it a 9.8. That's basically what this 9.8 is....a reproduction of a Showcase 4 using a tattered Showcase 4 to paint on top of.