• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, drotto said:

Studio interference and over correction has plagued the DCU.  I believe Snyder wanted to take a slower approach, where we would have had a second Superman film, then BvS type film leading into the two movie Justice Leagues.  BVS got pushed to the forefront when fans wanted to see Superman fight Batman. The studio feeling this was the quick way to reach a billion dollar film, said this is what the fans want (and we want the money), so let's just make this next. Thus disrupting Snyder's plan, which probably would have worked better. They honestly should of at least had one Batman film prior to BvS to establish this version of Batman (not an origin film).

Snyder wanted to do MoS, a sequel, and then 3 JL movies. Once Batman's name was brought up, WB somewhat forced BvS, but it was not an idea that Snyder was against.

I honestly don't think that a Batman movie was necessary. Without the balance of Superman's heroics, can you imagine how dark a solo movie would have to be to make him believable as an adversary to Kal-El? Assuming that we're still using inspiration from TDKR.

BvS' problem was mandating Doomsday to kill Superman. Well, killing Superman at all. I prefer saving The Death of Superman for later in the franchise. Superman having to team-up with Batman and Wonder Woman against Luthor and Metallo is a much better early concept. Luthor can still contact Steppenwolf, forcing Batman to gather the metahumans.

Man of Steel is so "dark and depressing".

Literally the first thing that we see Clark Kent do is save people.

"If that thing is making Earth more like Krypton, won't you be weaker around it?"

"Maybe, but I won't let that stop me from trying."

Wow. So dark. Much unlike Superman. :facepalm:

On 8/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, drotto said:

Studio interference and over correction has plagued the DCU.  I believe Snyder wanted to take a slower approach, where we would have had a second Superman film, then BvS type film leading into the two movie Justice Leagues.  BVS got pushed to the forefront when fans wanted to see Superman fight Batman. The studio feeling this was the quick way to reach a billion dollar film, said this is what the fans want (and we want the money), so let's just make this next. Thus disrupting Snyder's plan, which probably would have worked better. They honestly should of at least had one Batman film prior to BvS to establish this version of Batman (not an origin film).

It definitely felt like there was a missing piece between Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman.

They mentioned things like Superman saving a kitten out of a tree, but we never saw the Man of Steel that people would look up to.

That's what the second movie would have done. Do a smaller story about him trying to find personal redemption for the battle of Metropolis and killing Zod. Show Lois and him fall in love.

Then end the movie with the statue going up. You could have a great scene of Clark standing in front of the statue with Lois, talking about how it he doesn't feel he deserves it.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, D84 said:

That's what the second movie would have done. Do a smaller story about him trying to find personal redemption for the battle of Metropolis and killing Zod. Show Lois and him fall in love.

My 2c:

• I thought that ignoring Bruce Wayne, going to save that girl (and the montage), was enough to show that he's doing all of the small things to help people when he can.
  • I don't care about his relationship with Lois. lol I mean, I care that he has his connection with her, but I don't care to see it. Their chemistry was 'meh' in MoS, but it was believable in BvS.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My 2c:

• I thought that ignoring Bruce Wayne, going to save that girl (and the montage), was enough to show that he's doing all of the small things to help people when he can.
  • I don't care about his relationship with Lois. lol I mean, I care that he has his connection with her, but I don't care to see it. Their chemistry was 'meh' in MoS, but it was believable in BvS.

Fair enough about Lois, but in BvS the montages felt like he was burdened by helping people. It was the choice of somber music and Superman never seeming to be happy that he's making a difference. 

I personally love Batman v Superman but would have liked another Man of Steel first. 

On 8/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, D84 said:

Fair enough about Lois, but in BvS the montages felt like he was burdened by helping people. It was the choice of somber music and Superman never seeming to be happy that he's making a difference.

I personally love Batman v Superman but would have liked another Man of Steel first.

He keeps doing it because he thinks that it's the right thing (just as he did in MoS under fake identities), but he doesn't understand being worshiped as a god. He hasn't completely adapted to the way the world looks at him as a public figure vs being able to save people on a small scale as "a ghost who didn't quite fit in".

To your point, an MoS sequel with Brainiac using this kind of mental warfare could have accomplished the same thing, possibly better. I still think that BvS did a great job with both titular characters.

I remember watching the final fight in The Matrix Revolutions and I wasn’t alone in thinking, this is what I want in a Superman movie. Man of Steel delivered that and I was in awe. Much like I was in the 80’s watching the fight in Superman II. They should have skipped BvS and used some of the Batman elements from that film in a solo Batman movie. Then Aquaman, The Flash and ZSJL. Man of Steel II would have been great kicking off the next phase. Maybe with a Shazam appearance.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, Oddball said:

I remember watching the final fight in The Matrix Revolutions and I wasn’t alone in thinking, this is what I want in a Superman movie. Man of Steel delivered that and I was in awe. Much like I was in the 80’s watching the fight in Superman II. They should have skipped BvS and used some of the Batman elements from that film in a solo Batman movie. Then Aquaman, The Flash and ZSJL. Man of Steel II would have been great kicking off the next phase. Maybe with a Shazam appearance.

I have always liked the idea of BvS and JL introducing the new characters, rather than vice-versa, since we already saw it work the other way in the MCU. I don't like the idea of doing Batman prior to TDKR adaptation, only because it feels wrong; Especially if you're also going to do Injustice Superman.

WB's/Snyder's initial plans were so good back in 2015:

• Man of Steel, BvS
  • Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad
  • Justice League
  • Aquaman, The Batman, The Flash, Cyborg, and Green Lantern Corps
  • Sequels to MoS and WW
  • Justice League 2
  • SHAZAM and Black Adam
  • Injustice League
  • Justice League 3
  • Flashpoint

You have an entire epic, and then Flashpoint resets the 'Snyderverse' so that you can do whatever you want with the characters that deviates from the Injustice timeline.

That lineup could of been insanely good and rivalled the MCU for a coherent universe / story. With its own get out clause at the end to then go in a different direction and change the characters / actors.

Ive just re watched MOS and it’s still far superior to most superhero films of the last decade. How anyone could say that it wasn’t an uplifting movie with that incredible theme….

The brief moment in ZSJL where he emerges in the black suit and the theme swells is one of the best moments of the film. To see that play out again on the big screen in a true sequel would be incredible. But sadly feels less and less likely these days.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:28 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have always liked the idea of BvS and JL introducing the new characters, rather than vice-versa, since we already saw it work the other way in the MCU. I don't like the idea of doing Batman prior to TDKR adaptation, only because it feels wrong; Especially if you're also going to do Injustice Superman.

WB's/Snyder's initial plans were so good back in 2015:

• Man of Steel, BvS
  • Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad
  • Justice League
  • Aquaman, The Batman, The Flash, Cyborg, and Green Lantern Corps
  • Sequels to MoS and WW
  • Justice League 2
  • SHAZAM and Black Adam
  • Injustice League
  • Justice League 3
  • Flashpoint

You have an entire epic, and then Flashpoint resets the 'Snyderverse' so that you can do whatever you want with the characters that deviates from the Injustice timeline.

I like the original outline there but I still didn’t like BvS. I loved certain scenes in BvS but not the movie as a whole. I’ve said it before, I’d give anything for Zack to make a complete Knightmare movie. Affleck in the desert with his merc army Mad Maxxing out. Wouldn’t even need a story. 

In a recent conversation with THR, Snyder discussed the feeling of awe he had when he first saw Cavill in the Superman suit. It was during the development of Man of Steel in 2010, and Cavill had been brought in for a screen test. The actor was given one of Christopher Reeve's original suits from the 1980s to try on and, despite the aged spandex, Snyder says he still looked spectacular. Read the director's full quote below:

“When you see the suit on the ground, it’s kind of shriveled up, it’s just spandex, it looks like, ‘Oh God, that’s not going to be cool. Henry put it on in this trailer. And there’s a version of this where he comes out and is like, ‘I’m Superman!’ and you’re like, ‘OK, it’s Halloween.’ But Henry came out and even the crusty grips we hired for the test got quiet. Everybody was heart-attack serious. He had just the right energy. We were like, “Oh, he’s Superman. That’s what Superman looks like.’"

On 11/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, media_junkie said:

Watched the "Man of Steel" again yesterday, 8 years later it still holds up.  I'll go to my grave saying WB dropped the ball with kicking Snyder to the curb and not doing more with Cavill.

It's crazy how polished that film was. The VFX are still better than a lot of what you'll see in 2021.