• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

Dwayne Johnson and the Warner Bros theatrical session will serve as Marvel’s opening act earlier in the day, with Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods getting their much-deserved closeups on the Hall H stage. There’s also buzz that Henry Cavill will put in a surprise appearance to talk up more Superman.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

A lot of people forgot that line when conjuring up reasons for Superman to not kill Zod. "It wasn't setup that he had to kill Zod! He could put his hands over his eyes!" Really? Did you miss the entire movie? lol

On 8/23/2022 at 7:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A lot of people forgot that line when conjuring up reasons for Superman to not kill Zod. "It wasn't setup that he had to kill Zod! He could put his hands over his eyes!" Really? Did you miss the entire movie? lol

Exactly, Zod straight up told him it ends in only one of two ways.  How was Superman supposed to stop Zod?  Kryptonite had not been found in the DCEU yet, so taking his powers away was out.  There was nowhere on earth that he could have been held.  The spaceship he arrived in that had the Kyrptonian atmosphere that made Superman weak had been destroyed.  What exactly were his options at this point?  I'd love for someone to give me a logical answer that doesn't just involve "but he is Superman, he would have found a way".

On 8/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, media_junkie said:

I'd love for someone to give me a logical answer that doesn't just involve "but he is Superman, he would have found a way".

This.

There doesn't seem to be another answer, though. Those people just want another Chris Reeve movie, even though they can simply re-watch the ones that have already been made (including Superman Returns). Every time I have had this discussion, they say that Snyder (meaning Goyer/Nolan) should have wrote it so that Superman doesn't kill. Their only answer is to quite literally re-write the entire thing.*

I guess they should've had Doctor Fate cameo, see the future, and exposit that only 1 future of 1,938 results in mankind surviving the incursion (and that's Superman killing Zod).

*Edit: In a recent discussion with Jaybuck, he suggested that Zod ends up in the Phantom Zone with the rest of his cohorts, leading to no 3rd Act fight. I told him that this finale would be entirely anti-climactic. I think that you would agree with me. A comic book blockbuster with Superman cannot be devoid of a physical fight between Superman and his antagonist.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

I know this will be considered blasphemy, but I have a hard time going back and watching the old Chris Reeves Superman movies (1 and 2).  Don't get me wrong, he did a phenomenal job and much like Connery is to James Bond, he is the measuring stick that all Superman actors will be held up next to.  However I personally don't find they have aged well.  Maybe since I am aging up (51 this year) I find Chris Reeves Superman a bit too unbelievable.  

I like the fact that MoS and Snyder's DCEU were a bit more realistic (granted we are talking about comic movies, but still).  I mean look at MoS, Superman and Zod fought and Metropolis looked full on like a warzone at the end.  Billions and billions of dollars of destruction, and no idea how many actually died, but to me that is realistic.  You get two guys that can life Mount Everest going after each other there is going to be some serious collaterial damage.

Where-as in Superman 2 when Superman fought the three Kryptonians in NYC there was hardly any damage.  Yeah a Coke sign got busted and some cars and busses were blown around but that is basically it.  That just isn't believable to me.  

In my youth Superman (Chris Reeves) was my favorite Superman movie, however in my adulthood, to me, MoS (Henry Cavill) far outshines the original (2) Superman movies.

And as far as Brandon Routh goes, he did a good job cosplaying Chris Reeves being Superman, but that wasn't a good movie.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, media_junkie said:

I know this will be considered blasphemy, but I have a hard time going back and watching the old Chris Reeves Superman movies (1 and 2).  Don't get me wrong, he did a phenomenal job and much like Connery is to James Bond, he is the measuring stick that all Superman actors will be held up next to.  However I personally don't find they have aged well.  Maybe since I am aging up (51 this year) I find Chris Reeves Superman a bit too unbelievable.  

I like the fact that MoS and Snyder's DCEU were a bit more realistic (granted we are talking about comic movies, but still).  I mean look at MoS, Superman and Zod fought and Metropolis looked full on like a warzone at the end.  Billions and billions of dollars of destruction, and no idea how many actually died, but to me that is realistic.  You get two guys that can life Mount Everest going after each other there is going to be some serious collaterial damage.

Where-as in Superman 2 when Superman fought the three Kryptonians in NYC there was hardly any damage.  Yeah a Coke sign got busted and some cars and busses were blown around but that is basically it.  That just isn't believable to me.  

In my youth Superman (Chris Reeves) was my favorite Superman movie, however in my adulthood, to me, MoS (Henry Cavill) far outshines the original (2) Superman movies.

And as far as Brandon Routh goes, he did a good job cosplaying Chris Reeves being Superman, but that wasn't a good movie.

I've seen a lot of people say that, "the DCEU should be like the animated universe". How many times did Superman throw his enemies through crowded cities in the DCAU? lol Cavill's Superman's worst offense was dodging the truck Zod threw at him.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:00 AM, D84 said:

People who complain about Superman killing Zod at the end of Man of Steel seem to forget he killed Zod at the end of Superman II.

I think that since it was "off camera" they are giving him a pass, which makes no sense to me.  I mean he took their powers away and threw them down a crevice in at the North Pole and left them there in their Ziggy Stardust outfits.  Of course they are dead, but people just gloss over that.

Well, there was more destruction in Superman 2 than the Broadway sign getting blown up. Zod and company destroy Mount Rushmore, they.destroy and take over the White House, and Metropolis is supposed to be in shambles even though that was harder to convey without CGI. The reason Superman stops the battle and lures Zod to the Fortress is to stop the damage and killing.

But my opinion of MOS has risen considerably. I watched it a few weeks ago on 4k, and it was great. I would say it's equal to the first two Reeve films, but they represent different eras of the comics. The Reeve films are the Mort Weisinger/Julie Schwarts comics, and MOS is post Byrne. It's all great stuff, and I'm glad we have both.*

*I also like Superman Returns, mostly because it's a sequel to the Donner films.

Michael Shannon as Zod is an under-appreciated bit of acting greatness.  Not a robot, but genetically developed for a single-minded purpose.  The way he delivered his lines was spot-on, in my opinion he was the highlight of the movie.  I also really loved the early scenes of Krypton...some of the best visual sci-fi ever in a movie.  I appreciated that Superman killed Zod...it seemed like the only fulfilling outcome.