• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The music of this whole scene (Jor-El helping Lois through the ship) is amazing. Honestly, the entire sequence from Superman arriving at the military installation to turn himself in, to the end of the Smallville fight, was *chef's kiss*.

Superman Kalel GIF - Superman Kalel Manofsteel - Discover & Share GIFs

It is so nice to see WB official accounts celebrating this film

On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, media_junkie said:

I know this will be considered blasphemy, but I have a hard time going back and watching the old Chris Reeves Superman movies (1 and 2).  Don't get me wrong, he did a phenomenal job and much like Connery is to James Bond, he is the measuring stick that all Superman actors will be held up next to.  However I personally don't find they have aged well.  Maybe since I am aging up (51 this year) I find Chris Reeves Superman a bit too unbelievable.  

I like the fact that MoS and Snyder's DCEU were a bit more realistic (granted we are talking about comic movies, but still).  I mean look at MoS, Superman and Zod fought and Metropolis looked full on like a warzone at the end.  Billions and billions of dollars of destruction, and no idea how many actually died, but to me that is realistic.  You get two guys that can life Mount Everest going after each other there is going to be some serious collaterial damage.

Where-as in Superman 2 when Superman fought the three Kryptonians in NYC there was hardly any damage.  Yeah a Coke sign got busted and some cars and busses were blown around but that is basically it.  That just isn't believable to me.  

In my youth Superman (Chris Reeves) was my favorite Superman movie, however in my adulthood, to me, MoS (Henry Cavill) far outshines the original (2) Superman movies.

And as far as Brandon Routh goes, he did a good job cosplaying Chris Reeves being Superman, but that wasn't a good movie.

Agreed about some parts in the movies, like the fight in the fortress of solitude.  From the saran wrap S thrown at Non, to the multiple supermen (two you can go through, another was stone?).  But what he says to Lois is totally confusing:  "Used to play this game at school, never was very good at it."  When the heck did he do that, because I just can't see him splitting into multiples in elementary school here on Earth!

Edited by s-man

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 AM, s-man said:

But what he says to Lois is totally confusing:  "Used to play this game at school, never was very good at it."  When the heck did he do that, because I just can't see him splitting into multiples in elementary school here on Earth!

He was probably referring to hide and seek in general.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, s-man said:

Agreed about some parts in the movies, like the fight in the fortress of solitude.  From the saran wrap S thrown at Non, to the multiple supermen (two you can go through, another was stone?).  But what he says to Lois is totally confusing:  "Used to play this game at school, never was very good at it."  When the heck did he do that, because I just can't see him splitting into multiples in elementary school here on Earth!

The "saran wrap" was a hologram to confuse Non. The splitting was explained by Tom Mankiewicz as being Superman using his super speed, but that doesn't explain the rock figure. I will say I saw this movie on opening night in 1981, and the audience cheered when the three Supermen showed up. They actually didn't stop cheering from the time Superman returns to Metropolis until the end titles.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:40 AM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, Michael Shannon did a really good job of playing Zod and his dedication (in his eyes) to Krypton.

I struggle to think of many CBM villains who were as well-written and well-performed as Shannon's Zod. Ledger's Joker, and Thanos, are the only 2 that quickly come to mind.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I struggle to think of many CBM villains who were as well-written and well-performed as Shannon's Zod. Ledger's Joker, and Thanos, are the only 2 that quickly come to mind.

Shannon sits alone at the apex here imho. Thanos is a cartoon in comparison.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

Shannon sits alone at the apex here imho. Thanos is a cartoon in comparison.

I think that Endgame Thanos displayed how down-and-dirty he can be. Infinity War made him more complex and emotionally deep than Zod, which makes for a great character story, but not necessarily a great target for your heroes to defeat (because his mission is seemingly-altruistic).

The calmness that Thanos displays in times of stress can be equally intimidating as Zod with his outbursts. 2c I take no issue with you saying he's #1, though. I'm just not so certain of that, despite MoS being my favorite CBM right now.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that Endgame Thanos displayed how down-and-dirty he can be. Infinity War made him more complex and emotionally deep than Zod, which makes for a great character story, but not necessarily a great target for your heroes to defeat (because his mission is seemingly-altruistic).

The calmness that Thanos displays in times of stress can be equally intimidating as Zod with his outbursts. 2c I take no issue with you saying he's #1, though. I'm just not so certain of that, despite MoS being my favorite CBM right now.

Thanos is certainly well acted but he doesn’t own the screen the way Shannon does (few do I imagine). You only have to compare their deaths to see the difference. We still talk about Zod’s but who cares about Thanos’ demise. I’m sure it’s my own bias/taste but the MCU has no teeth. If Marvel had the guts to end at Infinity war and let Thanos win, drop the mic and end the MCU there, then we would have something really unique.

You’re right, Thanos is well written but I just don’t care nearly as much.

MoS as best? I’d give it a close second behind Logan.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:21 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

Thanos is certainly well acted but he doesn’t own the screen the way Shannon does (few do I imagine). You only have to compare their deaths to see the difference. We still talk about Zod’s but who cares about Thanos’ demise. I’m sure it’s my own bias/taste but the MCU has no teeth. If Marvel had the guts to end at Infinity war and let Thanos win, drop the mic and end the MCU there, then we would have something really unique.

You’re right, Thanos is well written but I just don’t care nearly as much.

MoS as best? I’d give it a close second behind Logan.

This would have been mind-blowing:

MoS may not be the best, but it's my favorite.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

MoS may not be the best, but it's my favorite.

"grumble grumble grumble Jonathan Kent..."

Meanwhile, it is one of THE BEST comic book movies ever based on story, casting, intensity, cinematography and incredible soundtrack :manhero:

On 9/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

"grumble grumble grumble Jonathan Kent..."

Meanwhile, it is one of THE BEST comic book movies ever based on story, casting, intensity, cinematography and incredible soundtrack :manhero:

You know, I was thinking about that, and maybe Johnathan Kents sacrifice is part of what informs Kals decision to end Zod. In that moment he sees in humans self sacrifice which he doesn’t see in Zod. Certainly, it’s more subtle and complicated but he makes a human decision just as Johnathan did.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

You know, I was thinking about that, and maybe Johnathan Kents sacrifice is part of what informs Kals decision to end Zod. In that moment he sees in humans self sacrifice which he doesn’t see in Zod. Certainly, it’s more subtle and complicated but he makes a human decision just as Johnathan did.

Some get so fixated on that scene they dismiss the rest of the movie or degrade the relevance of MOS based on that. It's crazy!

The man sacrificed himself for the sake of his son's protection at that point. He didn't want the world to know yet about his powers, realizing if they did it could go as far as taking him away for experimentation or to serve them.

I have felt this way since the beginning, recognizing as a parent at times you worry how the world will treat your kids and the experiences they may have out there. So imagine a father with a son that has god-like abilities yet is still at an age where he can be manipulated in the wrong hands.

Why Man Of Steel's Controversial Jonathan Kent Works

This is a Jonathan Kent who is wracked with fear and anxiety over the prospect of the world finding out his son is an alien with amazing powers, and how they will treat him once they know. When a young Clark saves a school bus full of children, Jonathan shockingly suggests Clark maybe should have let them die rather than potentially reveal himself to the world. It's generally held up as one of the movie's low moments, of Jonathan teaching Clark a shallow, selfish lesson.

Yet any parent knows that when it comes to their kids, rational thought and moral codes can be easily compromised. Man Of Steel's Jonathan is essentially a helicopter parent, terrified of what the world has in store for his sensitive young son. There's no malice in Jonathan's heart; his love of his son is simply all-encompassing, sometimes to the detriment of his own established values.

In arguably the film's most controversial moment, Jonathan forbids Clark from rescuing him from a tornado, willing to die rather than allow Clark to reveal his secret before he's truly ready to face the world. The moment is made all the more tragic by teenager Clark's "you're not even my real dad" temper tantrum just before his death. And yet allowing Jonathan to die sends the message that he absolutely was his father, as he respected him enough to let him die on his own terms, to save Clark's future for its true purpose. His inaction in the face of his father's death was Clark affirming everything his father instilled in him, both good and bad, just like any real, loving human father.