• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

I've been thinking a lot about this movie lately. I'm going to say this:

If Jonathan Kent's death was different, this would be a masterpiece. That's not to say that it's a bad rendition, but it could have been better. I'm not sure that anything else could have been done better.

I'm also starting to think that this is my favorite CBM of all-time. Possibly even my favorite movie of all-time. It gets better every time I see it, and I've already seen it at least 25 times from A to Z.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If Jonathan Kent's death was different, this would be a masterpiece. That's not to say that it's a bad rendition, but it could have been better. I'm not sure that anything else could have been done better.

I'm also starting to think that this is my favorite CBM of all-time. Possibly even my favorite movie of all-time. It gets better every time I see it, and I've already seen it at least 25 times from A to Z.

I think it's an excellent film. And I don't mind JK's exit. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Zack Snyder Breaks Down Zod's Neck Snap in Man of Steel and the Importance of Pa Kent

Zack Snyder reveals how Superman's dad's death led to the snapping Of Zod's neck.

Ever since Man of Steel came out back in 2013, fans have been deeply divided over the ending, which sees Superman snapping General Zod's neck to save a family and stop the Kryptonian invasion of Earth. In a recent digital watch party for the film, Zack Snyder explained the emotional set up for the scene.

"[It] is also all about him ending up alone. We can debate forever whether Superman would kill Zod. But the real question is his legacy. He's choosing. He's choosing us. He's so hurt. He's torn a piece of himself out."

Snyder went on to explain how the act of taking Zod's life was supposed to make up for the earlier inaction on Superman's part when it came to saving his Earth father. In the beginning of Clark Kent's journey, he stopped himself from revealing his presence to the world even though in doing so his father Jonathan Kent lost his life due to a tornado.

Fans were against the idea of Superman not saving his father just to protect his identity. But according to Snyder, that earlier moment is what led Superman to later decide that breaking his 'no-killing' rule to stop Zod from killing the family was something that had to be done, and provided some measure of redemption for previously failing to act to save Jonathan Kent.

This idea of Superman having to deal with the consequences of his action or inaction is one that Snyder has remained firm on from the start, having echoed similar sentiments during a recent digital watch party for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

I have too much to say for a reply, sadly. I would still have preferred him to learn the lesson from Jon's death in MoS, rather than from the bombing in BvS. Can't change history, and I still love the movies as they are, but I'd give MoS a 10/10 with just that 1 change.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would have preferred the heart attack. 

Wow, there’s a sentence you don’t hear every day.

Edited by ▫️

On 5/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, ▫️ said:

We got some closure with ZSJL but we really need a MOS 2. With villains that have never appeared in any of the previous films. 

Brainiac. With the way the MCU butchered Ultron (other than perfectly casting James Spader) there's an opportunity to showoff the greatest AI in comic books.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:02 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have too much to say for a reply, sadly. I would still have preferred him to learn the lesson from Jon's death in MoS, rather than from the bombing in BvS. Can't change history, and I still love the movies as they are, but I'd give MoS a 10/10 with just that 1 change.

I think if we allow ourselves to pick these movies apart, we have less of a good time with them.

Case in point: Captain America The Winter Soldier. To me the greatest MCU movie to date. I don't care how much folks talk up Infinity War. This is it for me! Story, casting, character involvement, soundtrack, cinematography. The works, from beginning to end.

How the heck did Nick Fury cut through feet of tar and gravel making his way into the underground sewer system so rapidly with that tiny little laser?

WHERE THE HECK DID WINTER SOLDIER COME FROM?? They are driving down the Beltway, and nobody is flashing their lights to warn the passengers in the car they have some guy standing on their roof??

Yet I still love this movie so much without letting these scenes even come up for me. Other than when I reflect on other people getting overly picky about comic book movies.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think if we allow ourselves to pick these movies apart, we have less of a good time with them.

Case in point: Captain America The Winter Soldier. To me the greatest MCU movie to date. I don't care how much folks talk up Infinity War. This is it for me! Story, casting, character involvement, soundtrack, cinematography. The works, from beginning to end.

How the heck did Nick Fury cut through feet of tar and gravel making his way into the underground sewer system so rapidly with that tiny little laser?

WHERE THE HECK DID WINTER SOLDIER COME FROM?? They are driving down the Beltway, and nobody is flashing their lights to warn the passengers in the car they have some guy standing on their roof??

Yet I still love this movie so much without letting these scenes even come up for me. Other than when I reflect on other people getting overly picky about comic book movies.

Yeah, Nick Fury's lightsaber was the weakest part of TWS. lol

I don't enjoy MoS any less. In fact, I bumped the subject because I have been appreciating it even more recently. I'm just saying that I would have liked it more if it was tied up differently. (shrug)

On 5/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't enjoy MoS any less. In fact, I bumped the subject because I have been appreciating it even more recently. I'm just saying that I would have liked it more if it was tied up differently. (shrug)

i07Hh5.gif.e49e469e9dddaba05705deb4d520ed75.gif

On 5/4/2022 at 2:19 PM, ▫️ said:

I’ve posted this a dozen times but GODD*** is this not the best teaser ever made? Remember how you felt when you saw it for the first time in the theater?

First time I saw it I got goose bumps.  I've said it before and I will say it again, WB wasted Cavill.