• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2024 at 2:23 PM, 1Cool said:

There is a lot of e-bay buyers who only look at the starting items each day to see if there are deals coming available so they are playing the game that renewing the items each day will get a ton of views for the books.  E-Bay gives so many free listings each month that smaller sellers can use this practice and have very little cost.  People who buy books frequently catch on and avoid those books but there is enough newbies that come around that it makes sense to them.  If I don't have the time to post new books or run auctions then I will close and relist 50 books every now and then throughout the month since it does generate increased views and sales.  E-Bay has become a sea on books so it's tough to not get lost especially if your books are not search worthy.

Gotcha.  Thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me. (thumbsu

On 4/21/2024 at 11:32 PM, littledoom said:

What a great place to be in.. Ebay has been miserable for me lately

What types of comics are you trying to sell there, and how many?

I typically list 200-300 slabs. I take current GPA value and ad a few bucks so buyers can make an offer, and set the auto-accept for a couple of bucks below value. I found that it was slow at the start of Jan, picked up by last half of Jan, and continued to pick up through spring. I was getting 5-8 sales per week at the end and was at the post office shipping out books pretty much daily. This is not high volume by any stretch, but I freed up a ton of space that I needed for new slabs that continue to come back from CGC as I make other submissions. 

On 4/23/2024 at 12:02 PM, workingdog said:

Forgive me if this has been covered already but I'm trying to understand the logic behind one particular eBay seller's selling strategy.  The seller in question is called The Comic Miner.  Every single day he/she relists practically their entire inventory.  The prices stay the same.  Furthermore, how would ever know what if anything was new?

It's called "bumping", a lot of selling apps allow this

On 4/23/2024 at 12:23 PM, 1Cool said:

There is a lot of e-bay buyers who only look at the starting items each day to see if there are deals coming available so they are playing the game that renewing the items each day will get a ton of views for the books.  E-Bay gives so many free listings each month that smaller sellers can use this practice and have very little cost.  People who buy books frequently catch on and avoid those books but there is enough newbies that come around that it makes sense to them.  If I don't have the time to post new books or run auctions then I will close and relist 50 books every now and then throughout the month since it does generate increased views and sales.  E-Bay has become a sea on books so it's tough to not get lost especially if your books are not search worthy.

Great thread! I should have read this one a long time ago and kept up with it. 

You mentioned the auctions though I mainly sell slabs, I completely gave up on auctions through my eBay store because I got to the point where the winning bidders would never pay and I would have to start over again. I probably blocked around 20 before I said no more auctions LOL.

On course with the recent conversation here, I probably keep 10 to 15 items up on average. Sometimes more depending what's hot in the modern slab world. This average I would say is fine for me since it's a side hobby to pay for my own collection likes and getting my return on purchased books. Lately, it has been anywhere from two to four sold in a week  the last six weeks or so. Plus, some side sales off those purchases. Since I built up a decent watcher/follow base for my purposes, I always send coupons when someone buys from me, and the repeat buyers are usually very easy to deal with. I normally give them a small discount and throw a few extra comics in, which keeps them coming back for more and feeds the top-rated designation. Some have even asked me about specific books and I'll get them slabbed, having guaranteed a sale when they get back from CGC.

Last year I was just under the threshold we're still lucky to be under - maybe? I haven't really put too much up yet this year, but that could change. I'm still just a little under 5K so far.

My link is in my profile here, though I have always preferred to sell here on the boards when I have put up a few runs.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 4/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, Poka said:

Yeah - ebay increased my monthly limit by $8 - hurrah - now I can sell a lot more (sarcasm may occur)

Just keep selling with no issues and eventually it will increase exponentially. Or you can call and speak to someone about it, sometimes they will override the algorithm.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:26 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Just keep selling with no issues and eventually it will increase exponentially. Or you can call and speak to someone about it, sometimes they will override the algorithm.

thanks., I know., I have been selling for 15 years. However, Hong Kong ebay is much more strict than US ebay in terms of monthly limits so no options of calling as they will go with the automatic increase and given I technically have received an increase I am not entitled for another one. Which is why I have 1000 slabs for sale through MCS as have no limits to sell them. 

Edited by Poka

On 4/25/2024 at 6:52 PM, Poka said:

thanks., I know., I have been selling for 15 years. However, Hong Kong ebay is much more strict than US ebay in terms of monthly limits so no options of calling as they will go with the automatic increase and given I technically have received an increase I am not entitled for another one. Which is why I have 1000 slabs for sale through MCS as have no limits to sell them. 

Ah, sorry. Didn't know you were in HK.

Had a seller send me an offer @ 50% off . $42 down to $21. (Plus $12 shipping) I accepted and paid. Shortly after I get a message asking if I could send them a picture or copy of the offer. They said they never sent it and were trying to contact ebay to figure out why/how this happened.  Just told them to cancel. :sorry:

On 4/27/2024 at 5:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Had a seller send me an offer @ 50% off . $42 down to $21. (Plus $12 shipping) I accepted and paid. Shortly after I get a message asking if I could send them a picture or copy of the offer. They said they never sent it and were trying to contact ebay to figure out why/how this happened.  Just told them to cancel. :sorry:

Seems like an honest mistake by the seller