• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, Pontoon said:

Did he actually pay yet? He sounds like a bit of a yahoo. $60 reduction isn't good enough but $70 is?

I hear what you're saying, but come on. That wouldn't even crack my Top 100 of odd buyer behavior.  lol

On 12/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, Point Five said:

Thanks for that. I'm still befuddled though. 15 hours later, there's still no change. The book is still available, and no email updates or signs of movement. I'm assuming/hoping the buyer received a "$680 offer, click to pay" email from ebay and is just sitting on it, but no way to know. 

On my Manage Offers page it says "What's next? Contact the buyer" and a link is provided, but when I click through it seems to glitch out. 

Yeah, that's probably it, the buyer hasn't paid. From my experience if a seller accepts your offer through the Make Offer function, you are notified you have purchased the item, but maybe if it sits unpaid, the listing remains until it is paid (shrug)

On 12/16/2023 at 9:02 AM, Pontoon said:

Did he actually pay yet? He sounds like a bit of a yahoo. $60 reduction isn't good enough but $70 is?

People get weird over small amounts when negotiating. Years ago I once offered $25 for a $30 item that had a "make offer" option and was instantly auto-rejected. I'm thinking "what's the thresh hold for even looking at an offer?", so I decide to test it and offered $27, that gets instantly auto-rejected as well. At this point I'd normally either just pay the $30 or forget about it, but my curiosity was there, so I try $28. Bid isn't rejected, but I never hear from the seller either. I can see the seller accidentally having 'make offer' in the listing without intending to (it's happened to me), but you have consciously decide that you won't even look at offers that are more than $2 below your ask to get auto-rejected. 

On 12/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, rjpb said:

People get weird over small amounts when negotiating. Years ago I once offered $25 for a $30 item that had a "make offer" option and was instantly auto-rejected. I'm thinking "what's the thresh hold for even looking at an offer?", so I decide to test it and offered $27, that gets instantly auto-rejected as well. At this point I'd normally either just pay the $30 or forget about it, but my curiosity was there, so I try $28. Bid isn't rejected, but I never hear from the seller either. I can see the seller accidentally having 'make offer' in the listing without intending to (it's happened to me), but you have consciously decide that you won't even look at offers that are more than $2 below your ask to get auto-rejected. 

I've had this happen to me twice in the last month. Negotiate without negotiating. It's an ingenious strategy.

Bought a CGC magazine from an e Bay seller who charges $22 for shipping and claims he packs very securely.

Book arrived this morning at my work in it's in a Medium Flat Rate box.  :facepalm:

Setting aside the fact that he's gouging on shipping, I've always found the Medium Flat Rate box a tight fit for regular size CGC comic books.  Box is really light too.  Really looking forward to opening this up when I get home to see what's inside.  :canofworms: :sick:

I thought we had a thread about this, but can't find it. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ebay-pay-3-million-penalty-180821841.html

EBay has agreed to pay $3 million to resolve a U.S. criminal probe into a campaign by several of its employees to stalk and harass a Massachusetts couple whose online newsletter was viewed as critical of the e-commerce company.

Federal prosecutors in Boston said on Thursday that eBay had entered into a deferred prosecution agreement to resolve the case after seven former eBay workers admitted to participating in an extensive campaign in 2019 that involved sending the couple cockroaches, fly larvae and a bloody Halloween pig mask.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:23 PM, Number 6 said:

Bought a CGC magazine from an e Bay seller who charges $22 for shipping and claims he packs very securely.

Book arrived this morning at my work in it's in a Medium Flat Rate box.  :facepalm:

Setting aside the fact that he's gouging on shipping, I've always found the Medium Flat Rate box a tight fit for regular size CGC comic books.  Box is really light too.  Really looking forward to opening this up when I get home to see what's inside.  :canofworms: :sick:

I always use the priority boxes for slabs, usually the one that's about the same size as the medium flat rate one. I've never had anyone complain in fact I've often got kudos for my packing Granted I do have a source of free high quality bubble wrap through work that makes it nice and snug. Oh you said magazine I don't believe I've ever shipped one of those, that may be too tight idk.

Edited by seanlinc
Added info

On 1/11/2024 at 1:12 PM, seanlinc said:

I always use the priority boxes for slabs, usually the one that's about the same size as the medium flat rate one. I've never had anyone complain in fact I've often got kudos for my packing Granted I do have a source of free high quality bubble wrap through work that makes it nice and snug. Oh you said magazine I don't believe I've ever shipped one of those, that may be too tight idk.

Yes, it’s slabbed magazine. 

My recollection is that the magazine slabs are taller than the comic slabs. 

I suppose he could have angled it into the box but I still don’t see how there would be any room for protection on the ends of the slab. 

This doesn’t look promising either:

IMG_5376.thumb.jpeg.029ce9ca2cabe652763433015f1fc30f.jpeg
IMG_5375.thumb.jpeg.82c1d401b6c8cb3a95d272e9f37cfe26.jpeg

IMG_5377.thumb.jpeg.46624978712fcf8f6be2ca71043a2b0f.jpeg

Well, opened the box and when I started to unwrap the bubble wrap I could hear pieces of plastic sliding around. :facepalm:

Top right corner is smashed and there’s an approx. 2” piece missing off the side of the slab.  Well, not “missing”, the broken pieces are inside the slab. 

Will CGC even reholder this?  All 3 of the other corners are secure and the top of the slab isn’t split. I don’t think the inner well could be slid out.  It’s an older slab graded 2016 ( according to the label look-up) and it looks like the label is still secured to the inner well, I don’t think it’s been messed with. 

Is reholder even an option ? @CGC Mike

Way to treat a 9.8 magazine. :facepalm:

IMG_5381.thumb.jpeg.df236458bd7f989e575a9b1771a68b0d.jpeg

IMG_5382.thumb.jpeg.474a0d88333acdb83b13a1d9b012f676.jpeg

IMG_5383.thumb.jpeg.8b87c2dbe3610b5d0c7fd632a3b11615.jpeg

IMG_5384.thumb.jpeg.68f50941735731e1ce11b2b0117a6b19.jpeg

IMG_5386.thumb.jpeg.ad63479c9b6c95ff3112b272be1db89d.jpeg

IMG_5387.thumb.jpeg.44daa970a10481b014746ed9030fea6a.jpeg

IMG_5385.jpeg

On 1/11/2024 at 6:53 PM, Number 6 said:

Well, opened the box and when I started to unwrap the bubble wrap I could hear pieces of plastic sliding around. :facepalm:

Top right corner is smashed and there’s an approx. 2” piece missing off the side of the slab.  Well, not “missing”, the broken pieces are inside the slab. 

Will CGC even reholder this?  All 3 of the other corners are secure and the top of the slab isn’t split. I don’t think the inner well could be slid out.  It’s an older slab graded 2016 ( according to the label look-up) and it looks like the label is still secured to the inner well, I don’t think it’s been messed with. 

Is reholder even an option ? @CGC Mike

Way to treat a 9.8 magazine. :facepalm:

IMG_5381.thumb.jpeg.df236458bd7f989e575a9b1771a68b0d.jpeg

IMG_5382.thumb.jpeg.474a0d88333acdb83b13a1d9b012f676.jpeg

IMG_5383.thumb.jpeg.8b87c2dbe3610b5d0c7fd632a3b11615.jpeg

IMG_5384.thumb.jpeg.68f50941735731e1ce11b2b0117a6b19.jpeg

IMG_5386.thumb.jpeg.ad63479c9b6c95ff3112b272be1db89d.jpeg

IMG_5387.thumb.jpeg.44daa970a10481b014746ed9030fea6a.jpeg

IMG_5385.jpeg

That sucks, sorry man!

On 1/11/2024 at 5:34 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Yes, this can be reholdered.  Provided the book was not damaged, it will maintain the 9.8 grade.

Fortunately, the book doesn’t appear to be damaged. 

Thank you for the response. 

While we're airing complaints - I can't stand when sellers don't upload a tracking number. If there's a reason you want to use your own shipping and not eBay's built-in shipping, fine. But then don't mark an item shipped and not add a tracking number! I hate that.